Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question Regarding Avensis 2002 (Mk1) Odb Diagnostic

TPAKTOPUCTA

Hello all,

I am new to this forum as well as new proud owner of toyota avensis 2002 (mk1). I have it for a month and I am more than happy with the car until this morning. I notice that I have engine check light on and because of that I ended up in this forum. Based on the following post (http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150569-diagnostic-tools-cant-conect-to-my-2000-avensis-any-ideas/) I did a diagnostic by shortening pin 4 and pin 13 on the ODB connector and then something strange (at least for me happen). Instead of the engine check light, the abs light started to blink:

3 pause 1 pause 3 pause 3 pause 3 pause 4 pause 3 pause 1 big pause and the same sequence.

Could you please guide me how to continue with the diagnostic? Should I still use the ODB 1 code list or I need to search for similar list for the abs?

Thanks.

Hi,

These are flash codes. Your car is mk2 not mk1. Mk2 has different lights than mk1. Mk1 stopped in year 2000. Anyways back to the original question. I have a 2001 1.8vvti and had the light on as well. It uses obdII and also gives flash codes. Having said that I bought an obdII code reader off Amazon for around £12.00 and u plug it in the port which is located behind the coin box just above the driver's right knee. This slides up and out. Plug in the reader with either engine started or Battery on. The reader reads any fault codes stored on ur car and also u can erase any codes and the light disappears. Hope this helps. When looking at Amazon look for obdii fault code reader.

Regards,

Waqar

Hello,

Thank you for the reply, but I am sure that mine is MK1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Avensis (mine is

First generation series T210/220) and according to other posts in the forum it is OBD 1 connector (and I can't use the those sold on the ebay).

Hello,

Just to correct the Avensis versions from my point of view, the mk1 is from 1997 to Jan 2003. The first generation Avensis (phase 1) are pre vvti with all the engines carried over from the previous Carina, all the engines were slightly retuned. I own the 1.8 lean-burn.

This also meant that the self diagnostic system was also carried over, plus the addition of the OBD socket.

The second phase mk1 Avensis was introduced August 2000. That is the car Milen and Waqar drive. We all know the mechanical changes like the vvti engine, all round disc brakes, deadlocks, minor cosmetic changes to both the interior and exterior and most importantly to this post, OBD2 which meant the loss of the self diagnostic system. Code readers are needed for diagnostics.

The Avensis mk2 was introduced in 2003 with a different body but retained the vvti engines.

So each mark has a different body with updates during production.

Lol, Konrad thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

Waqar I am sorry for doubting your info.

Thank you very much guys. I am heading to eBay and Amazon to look for obd fault code readers.

Sorry guys my bad.

Yes mine isn't mk1 its just face and engine lift. However I think I might have still preferred the old 7afe lean burn than the vvti. But yeah this one carries obdii port. Thanks Konrad for correcting me.

Regards,

Waqar

No problems Waqar.

It is common for some people to call the facelift version of a car a new model. Ford have done this.

Anyway the original problem is, which car can self diagnose and which cars need a code reader.

This query will appear again in the future.

Now to test my new brakes and wheel bearing. Off to Horley, Surrey, to get camera repaired. The lens jammed when taking pictures of the repair.

Sorry to hear about your camera.

I was going to post yesterday to request you to take picture and do kinda of a tutorial for wheel bearing and breaks as i am due my front pads shortly. Awsome if you have done that already.

All the best.

Regards,

Waqar

I will have to sort the photos out.

The brake pads and discs are Blueprint, which is from what I understand original equipment and my local car parts place got them cheaper than Euro Car Parts. I had change them before with a brand called Apex but the discs have become very scored. The pads were half worn. I think that the pads are wearing the discs. They were installed exactly 5 years to the day! Get this, the price then was £76.95 including vat, and the Blueprint £78.10 including vat. Remember vat was 15% in 2008. Both from the same shop!

The wheel bearing is another story! Changed both front wheels bearings.

Konrad

I can say Avensis 1.8, 2000, engine 7A-FE has an OBD2 socket but can't use OBD2 code readers. Can read flash codes or use Techstream with Mini VCI adapter/cable to read/clear codes

I can say Avensis 1.8, 2000, engine 7A-FE has an OBD2 socket but can't use OBD2 code readers. Can read flash codes or use Techstream with Mini VCI adapter/cable to read/clear codes

We covered that part about the 7A-FE, but the original poster has the vvti engine and is OBD2 compliant.

He thought that his car was the same and could get the EML light to blink the codes, but I have explained in detail that he needs a code reader due to the changes.

Also it is good to advise pre August 2000 owners that they have a free way of getting the EML codes quickly. The problem it confuses other Avensis owners into thinking they can do the same. The problem is that all the cars have the same OBD socket., but the protocols are different.

Good advice about the Techstream too.

Hello guys,

Update from me. I bought D900 OBD 2 fault code reader version 2013 and which according to the specification should support Toyota cars, but when I plug it and adjust the car key to ignition the scanner cannot connect. The strange think is that the abs light starts blinking constantly. If I first turn the car key to ignition and then connect the scanner nothing, the scanner cannot connect but the abs light does not blink.

Any ideas or should I book diagnostic with Toyota garage?

if you suggest garage, could you please guide me to one in west kensighton area or upper norwood as I recently relocate to the UK

There are 3 Jemca dealers in your area, The nearest is in Streatham.

Try the following link:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/FindCenters/FindDealer.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&noLeftMenu=true&zone=Zone+Dealer&id=Dealer%20Locator_header

There are local garages that may able to help you with diagnostics.

Other members of this forum have posted which code readers work with the Avensis. I would only buy on tested recommendation of somebody who has used a particular code reader, and owns the same vehicle.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links