Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hesitation When Changing Gear - Most Obvious At Slower Speeds...

LeeADAB

Hi guys,

Recently I have noticed that when I first drive off and changing into second gear, I press in the clutch and the RPMs drop there is a slight hesitation/pulse feeling. It is less noticeable at higher speeds when gear changing bit still noticeable. I've driven it for 8 years so definitely used to changing gears in it!!

Could this be a dirty throttle body?

Any ideas spring to mind?

You may remember that I posted a while ago about my intermittent starting issue which has returned again. May be related? You got to love intermittent faults. With all the lovely dry weather I have had no issues all summer but with the recent rain showers and damper mornings it has randomly returned. Still starts first time though and doesn't happen often enough to send it in to a garage. Rarely had the intermittent start on a dry morning. Sometimes i wonder if it is being starved of fuel? When I start my boat I pump the throttle in neutral to prime fuel. When the RAV flutters on start up I almost feel it needs an extra prime. Would a faulty fuel pump cause issues like these. It still does it so infrequently that it is really hard to fault find. So far I have cleaned up the main engine-chassis earth strap, checked Battery connections, checked connections to starter motor, swapped ignition coils, new Iridium spark plugs.

Any help always appreciated.... :)

Also after Don's expert assistance ( http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/110842-change-transmission-oil/page-3 )

selecting oils I bought them then had them changed on my last service.

Gearbox/Transfer Box/Rear Diff probably the first time after 75k. I asked the mechanic to report on the condition of the drained oil and he said nothing to report and that all looked fine. No concerns at all which was good to hear.

It won't harm to clean the throttle body/MAF. You never know it might be the first signs of the starter problem developing into something you can find. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

yes start with MAF and throttle

you'd start with something first

• 2 months later...

Removed and Cleaned throttle body and ICV. Throttle response seems much better and a lot smoother takeup when changing gears.

Both TB and ICV were quite carbon'd up and it was good to seem them both spotless after.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links