Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Beginning Of The End ?

Dark Matter

The Scion brand was intended to attract a younger customer to Toyota in the US.

The IQ was launched in Japan in 2008, and Europe in 2009. US sales only began in October 2011 and Canada in 2012.

So sales of the IQ don't appear to be that dependant on the Scion brand.

Scion's best selling car last year was the TC - a coupe which shares it's platform with the Avensis - but sales of the FR-S are expected to eclipse the TC this year. The FR-S is a re-badged Toyota GT86.

If the Scion brand is allowed to wither and die, the IQ could be an effective entry level to the Toyota brand in the US.

I can't understand why Toyota felt they had to launch a sub brand, Scion, as what's wrong with Toyota? And what on earth is the GT86 (FRS) doing as a Scion too? Americans simply don't get small cars nor really have the need for them (I've lived and worked there so have some insight into their thinking) so the IQ probably was never going to work, and IQ spec is poor compared to Europe ( Stevie Wonder designed the seat cloth). My American colleagues used to laugh at my old ForTwo, so wouldn't get the IQ either

The Scion brand was intended to offer minimal specifications so that buyers could heavily customise the cars to their own tastes from a wide range of options. The average age of the Scion customer is 39 (they were targeting customers born from the 1980's onwards), whereas the average age of the Toyota customer is 54.

Will be interesting to see Taz's point of view on this. I remember a number of years ago seeing one of his old box cars (sorry cant remember the model name) as it looked like one of the Johnny cabs out of an Arnie film. I loved it and wanted one but importing was more hassle than I am prepared for.

I just think that in this current economic climate that the likes of the iQ are over priced for what they are. Yes they appear better built over the Aygo, but the cost difference is large and I can only assume that the insurance companies see it the same way for new/young drivers which is where I feel it should have been targeted, but yet its mostly the older generation that I see out and about in them. Maybe it's just the area I live, but also within central London.

Fish

This is something that's been rumored here in the States for the past year or so.

The iQ never stood a chance. It's release was delayed by fourteen months due to safety regulation issues in the US and the Tsunami that closed down many of the companies that supply parts to Toyota. By the time the iQ was released, the FR-S was ready and Scion chose to spend all their advertising and promotional budgets on the new Scion sports car. As some of you have stated above, the iQ is not a car for everyone. In large cities with minimal parking it is a wonderful answer to a big problem. To a consumer living in a large sprawling area where long trips are the norm it doesn't make sense to have one.

The first Scion model to make record sales was the first generation xB. It was boxy and fun to drive. The other models like the xA, xD and the second generation xB have not done as well. The tC has always been a stable seller although with the new design for 2014 they may have lost some new customers. The rear end has even die hard Scion loyalists scratching their heads and wondering what the design team was thinking. With the release of the FR-S it was hoped that Scion could hold on. The car is selling in record numbers. With the rumor of the FR-S convertible there will be potential buyers holding off from purchasing to see if it really happens in the next few years.

As for aiming for younger buyers, the xB turned out to be very popular with "older" people. I was 45 when I bought my 2006 model. I'm now 53 and loving my iQ. There are many things I would change about the way the iQ is offered by Scion but then it would just be a Toyota. Scion has always offered a limited standard package on their cars and allowed room for modification by the owner. This has lent itself to a large number of customized Scion vehicles, many more than any other car company.

Scion has always treated it's owners as if they had purchased a 50,000 cars. We have been treated to many large scale events, parties, concerts and theme park private parties. If Scion is scaling back or on the last road, I'll support them one hundred percent as I have since 2005. I hope it is not the case but if Scion doesn't survive I'll still be a life long Toyota owner. I have a 1982 Toyota Pickup with 44,000 miles on it in showroom condition. I've owned many Toyota's over the years and I'm sure I'll continue to do so.

With that being said, I'm still so freaking jealous that you all have the options of manual transmission and rear disc brakes. =)

I posted the link to my Facebook page and received a text from one of my buddies at Scion Corporate. He is going to call me tomorrow with the details, it may not be what the article implies...

My View, I am old (62 years) and the IQ suites me.

I also have worked for a USA company for over 18 years and spent a lot of time in the USA, I can understand why they don't get the IQ design.

Bigger is considered better in USA !

The Scion brand was intended to offer minimal specifications so that buyers could heavily customise the cars to their own tastes from a wide range of options. The average age of the Scion customer is 39 (they were targeting customers born from the 1980's onwards), whereas the average age of the Toyota customer is 54.

....and in some areas considerably older!!

it has (if you don't mind the pun) been an age old problem of Toyota's, how to attract a younger audience, hence funky models like iQ and family orientated cars like Aygo and Yaris. Look at the recent Yaris marketing and TV advert, yes it was awful to those over a certain age :rolleyes: Toyota GB spent a lot of money sponsoring Aygo on T4 just so they could reach a younger audience

Is that average age a UK figure Mike? It used to be considerably more than 54???

Kingo :thumbsup:

I assume the Aygo is a Europe only model, not available in the US of A?

Craig.

My View, I am old (62 years) and the IQ suites me.

I also have worked for a USA company for over 18 years and spent a lot of time in the USA, I can understand why they don't get the IQ design.

Bigger is considered better in USA !

I am even older and the IQ suits me perfectly too as I never carry more than one passenger, but if I did I, would go for the Aygo which I had before the IQ was released. It was a bit rough round the edges but was great car to drive.

Toyota killed off my favourite rav4 3 door , I hope they dont do the same to the iq.I've just bought an 8 year old rav 3 door cause I cant find anything to touch it.it would be the same with finding an iq replacement, unique but perfect for the use I put it to

54 ....but my iQ brings out my inner child.

• Like 1

57 this year, iq does makes me feel like billy wizz sometimes

• Like 1

OK, numbers it is, 66, and bits are beginning to stop working, but the IQ is fine.

• Like 1

Something tells me that Toyota got their demographic very wrong when marketing the iQ .... Anyway come on Toyota , time to start thinking about iQ mk 2 some of us ain't getting any younger.

Here's a clue what we want.

http://www.charlesyarbrough.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/toyota-iq-concept-2007-732359.jpg

Something tells me that Toyota got their demographic very wrong when marketing the iQ .... Anyway come on Toyota , time to start thinking about iQ mk 2 some of us ain't getting any younger.

Here's a clue what we want.

http://www.charlesyarbrough.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/toyota-iq-concept-2007-732359.jpg

Very nice :) thanks for the link

I had a conversation today with one of my friends from Scion Corp. He was amazed that the article was even written. The information about letting Toyota dealers out of their contracts is old. The program has been in effect for over four years. The way it was explained to me is that all Toyota dealerships have a franchise contract with Toyota that includes the sales of Scion vehicles. Not all Toyota dealers are focused on the brand and their sales reflect it. The dealers who have not met the Toyota / Scion requirements for maintaining their franchise are being allowed to discontinue selling the Scion brand and continue to sell Toyota cars and trucks.

Basically what it comes down to is the dealers who don't care about the Scion brand and have been treating their customers like crap are now being released from their contracts to sell Scion's without penalty. This will allow Scion cars to be sold by dealers who actually want to treat their customers well and promote the brand.

He told me that Scion is in no danger of going away. The brand should be stronger by trimming the deadwood of dealers who have been providing less than what Scion expects from their sales groups.

The reporter who wrote this story combined the information from a meeting held last month with dealers and the national sales figures from Scion on his own and started the rumor that the Scion brand would be discontinued. I'm happy to say that he is full of crap.

• Like 1

Worked on me, I bought my iQ when I was 35, now 36 and a friend of mine who is around 30, She is female so doesn't disclose her exact age, loves the car and want's one herself but she has an Aygo as it was cheaper to buy.

If they want to sell to the younger market then make them available with body work like the Ibherdesign kit. I think they look great. :)

http://autostyle-usa.com/?pkey=parts_free_word&limit_maker%5B%5D=IBH&limit_car%5B%5D=15K1&set=0&page=1&max=10&maker_url=ibherdesign

How about a supercharger kit for my 1.3 engine too, that would work.... :)

Craig.

in my experience most Americans no matter the winter weather want front wheel drive. if I am correct that model is rear drive. it takes an educated driver to care for rear wheel drive and even drive a manual transmission. it is an extra charge and hard to locate a drift on a clutch system.

Ksk

in my experience most Americans no matter the winter weather want front wheel drive. if I am correct that model is rear drive. it takes an educated driver to care for rear wheel drive and even drive a manual transmission. it is an extra charge and hard to locate a drift on a clutch system.

Ksk

?.....confused.com...

63 here... :blushing:

The IQ, like the Aygo, Yaris, Auris, etc, is front wheel drive.

• Like 1