Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Spacers - T180

crustyclam

"Manufacturers spend millions of pounds designing a vehicle and the

technical development people calculate stresses and tolerances with

incredible accuracy."

More to the point, those tolerances are the bare minimum in order to save costs so there is little if any margin for error when making dynamic changes such as this.

Bit like the space shuttle situation with Challenger, where a multi-billion dollar program failed due to selecting the lowest bidder that met the minimum spec for an O-Ring

incredible accuracy."

More to the point, those tolerances are the bare minimum in order to save costs so there is little if any margin for error when making dynamic changes such as this.

Bit like the space shuttle situation with Challenger, where a multi-billion dollar program failed due to selecting the lowest bidder that met the minimum spec for an O-Ring

Yes, a tragic example of the consequences of taking cost engineering to extremes.

incredible accuracy."

Yes, a tragic example of the consequences of taking cost engineering to extremes.

It can also be called "value" engineering these days

Ah have always preferred TAC.....Total Acquisition Cost.....the number of wee newly qualified ACMA's who binned me as a supplier, only to phone back 3 months later......"AH MIGHT HAVE BEEN HASTY THERE, KEV....."

Ok from hours of research (Google) I have come to the conclusion that my wheel bearings will wear out quicker. ( but not leading to catastrophic disaster .......is my wheel going to fall off.)

Can I live with this? Yes.

Have been contemplating changing cars to Porsche cayenne or range rover sport, but money wise rav4 is so much better value.

(Porsche often use spacers with no ill effects, but are likely designed so)

Money wise if I have to replace a wheel bearing (or multiple) I just cannot imagine it being worse than losing trade in value.

I have always loved the chunky aggressive 4x4 look, and don't mind paying for it if, via replacement parts.

So

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

30mm H&R hub centric spacers fitted (DRM) No rub, still plenty of space. Now nice and flush. Only done about 30 miles since at around 50mph, handling seems the same. Not sure if turning circle is better, I think so but may be my imagination.

Anyway I love the flush look, great considering I have gone from 235 to 225.

Will be checking in 100miles spacer nut tightness.

These are tuv approved.

Will post some when I give the car a wash. Hopefully tomorrow..

What are those spacers like Lee? The ones I saw recently on a Volvo were like Rubber sleeves on the hub.

Gotta admire your perveserance in fitting these, Lee, against some soft opposition ( which we know you accepted in the correct fashion)........enjoy.

What are those spacers like Lee? The ones I saw recently on a Volvo were like Rubber sleeves on the hub.

No rubber on these, link to technical info.

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default.aspx?230=1&34=0,2014087&36=3792&35=0&32=19297&14=4&10=8B6C459294724B8CA6C570927A834AEB107004&12=130

I fitted parts 6065601. They have bolts fitted on spacer, easy fit.

Gotta admire your perveserance in fitting these, Lee, against some soft opposition ( which we know you accepted in the correct fashion)........enjoy.

Thank you I will enjoy, took me a long time to decide. If i do have any wear issues I will certainly update this thread so anyone else considering some can make an informed decision.

• Like 1

Regardless of the varying opinions on your wheel spacers, that is a very nice looking Rav Lee...... :thumbsup:

Does look nice :thumbsup:

Wonder what effect the wider track will have on the crud throwing up the side of the car? Seem still to be just within mudflap coverage.

Nice, Very nice :D

I just had a look at pictures of my SR and its wheels compared to yours, Lee, and while I never really noticed the stance before, yours looks spot on and mine is too tucked in now :(

I guess it is the effect of the arch extensions without having the wheels pushed out to match. I reckon there will be some more modified like yours shortly (I would if I still had mine) :D

In terms of safety, I would think there are no issues with spacers. Masses of aftermarket wheels are sold with bolt kits and various spacers thicknesses to get the offset right (I got a set of TSW ones myself for our 306 a few years ago)

Your Rav is absolute belter, looks like it's just left the showroom.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I agree it is definately the flared arches that makes the wheels looked pushed in further. Should look even better when the 235 width are back on.

Mine looks a bit odd with the winter wheels on. They are 225/17s but those ruddy arches make them look like Morris Minor wheels!

post-30983-0-71048100-1384714333_thumb.j

That's one fantastic looking RAV..

I for one will be interested to know how you get on with them...

Looks spot on.

I ran 30mm spaces on my old Rav to fill out the arches too.

I'm running a set of T180 alloys on current Rav but it's a non wheel arch model and the 18's sit just in from the body.

............coz the metallic flecks are so much larger and of so many different sizes. Really miss it compared to the much more demure fleckiness of the Decuma Grey. Lee just reminded me of ma SR180 before RRG forced me against my will to buy ma new one.

If only I could have had the two, but the thought of making my own dinners in a wee lonely caravan with two Ravs parked ootside it kept my marriage alive......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links