• Member via FB
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • First Name:Kevin
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Auris Hybrid Excel
  • Year: 2013

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Argghh! Lucky i popped out to the car to get something, i discovered that since yesterday afternoon my battery has discharged, the car is dead :/

I cant get to the 12v Battery as its in the boot and i cant see how to release the boot. I called the RAC and see what happens when they arrive some time in the next 3 hours.... what i cant understand is how its managed to discharge, i never had the lights on

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 cootuk

cootuk

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2006 Prius T3

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

Maybe they will link a 12V battery to the engine battery point and hope to get enough power just to open the doors.

Or maybe use the manual key to get in, then possibly an override handle on the inside of the tailgate?

#3 FROSTYBALLS

FROSTYBALLS

Top Rank Poster!

• Super Moderator
  • 8,295 posts
  • First Name:Mike
  • Toyota Model: Auris 1.33
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Could the interior light have been left on?

#4 timberwolf

timberwolf

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Toyota Model: Prius Gen 2 T-Spirit

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Interior light or boot light?

Not closing a door or hatch properly? (BTW I like John's Prius User Guide advice to Slam the hatch to be sure).

#5 Sagitar

Sagitar

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • First Name:Chris
  • Toyota Model: Prius Plug-in

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Interior light or boot light?

Not closing a door or hatch properly? (BTW I like John's Prius User Guide advice to Slam the hatch to be sure).

On the Prius, it's easier to use the mechanical switch on the boot light to switch it off permanently so that it will not come on even if you don't close the lid properly. Does the Auris have a similar switch?

This happened to me once. Since then I have bought a low current battery charger that allows a connection to the 12v battery from inside the boot. So, open the door with the mechanical key, drop the rear seat squabs to enter the boot and make the connection to the battery charger.

#6 Dasbob

Dasbob

Club Member

• Member via FB
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • First Name:Kevin
  • Toyota Model: Auris Hybrid Excel

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

Okay guy came round (sent a local mech) and mentioned that they dont normally touch hybrids (which is fair enough they are not typical cars) any way he still jump started the battery and car came on straight away with 4 blips on the battery, that could have been from his charger though.

drove about for 20 minutes never using the electric (thats going to mess my mpg this fuel up :P )

Hopefully it should be fine in the morning, i hope its not something wrong with the car, if it happens again (like tomorrow) i think i will contact Toyota.

I have a theory on why it might have gone. If the starting battery is what operates the door opening/closing is not connected directly to the hybrid motor.... ie its the 12v battery, and that when using the electric battery the car wont charge up the 12v.... then here is what happened yesterday.

FIrst off i used a 12v socket tyre compressor to pump my tyres up, i then used a 12v vacuum to give car a quick once over.... i then cleaned the car with the keyless entry key in my pocket (which caused the wing mirrors to keep moving back and forth as the car opened and closed). I then drove only 8 miles to fill up the car and abused the hybrid battery along the way as per normal. I came home and left the car for 36 hours.

So my basic guess is that the starter battery is not getting charged up when on electric.... and hence with natural discharge and lots of use of the 12v it caused the problem. .....or i have a dodgy alternator ?

Or it could be what you guys said and the boot light was on... i did take some stuff out the boot to empty it, so that is quite plausible. That sounds a good idea Sag, can you link me what type of charger you brought?  I will have to check to see if i can turn the boot light off

Many thanks!

#7 cootuk

cootuk

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2006 Prius T3

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

I thought the hybrids charged the 12V battery from the HV battery as long as the car is in Ready, rather than ACC.

There's no conventional alternator, but a DC-DC convertor.

#8 timberwolf

timberwolf

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 1,427 posts
  • Toyota Model: Prius Gen 2 T-Spirit

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

Okay guy came round (sent a local mech) and mentioned that they dont normally touch hybrids (which is fair enough they are not typical cars) any way he still jump started the battery and car came on straight away with 4 blips on the battery, that could have been from his charger though.

Your will have two separate batteries, a HV (High Voltage) Battery, and a 12V Battery. If you only have one display, then it would only display the SoC (State of Charge) of the HV Battery. The local mechanic would only have jump started the 12V battery, he would not have attempted to go anywhere near the HV orange cables or battery, and you may have had a dead mechanic to explain to the authorities if he had tried to jump-start the HV battery!

drove about for 20 minutes never using the electric (thats going to mess my mpg this fuel up :P )

Hopefully it should be fine in the morning, i hope its not something wrong with the car, if it happens again (like tomorrow) i think i will contact Toyota.

I think this is unlikely (although it may be difficult to tell) because it takes a long time to fully recharge a flat 12V battery. Did anything reset such as the clock or mpg?

I have a theory on why it might have gone. If the starting battery is what operates the door opening/closing is not connected directly to the hybrid motor.... ie its the 12v battery, and that when using the electric battery the car wont charge up the 12v.... then here is what happened yesterday.

FIrst off i used a 12v socket tyre compressor to pump my tyres up, i then used a 12v vacuum to give car a quick once over.... i then cleaned the car with the keyless entry key in my pocket (which caused the wing mirrors to keep moving back and forth as the car opened and closed). I then drove only 8 miles to fill up the car and abused the hybrid battery along the way as per normal. I came home and left the car for 36 hours.

So my basic guess is that the starter battery is not getting charged up when on electric.... and hence with natural discharge and lots of use of the 12v it caused the problem. .....or i have a dodgy alternator ?

As Cootuk said, the 12V battery will charge as long as the car is in READY mode, it doesn't matter whether the car is being driven on electric, petrol or both, or just sitting in traffic or on the driveway.

Using the accessory modes is generally not recommended for any period of time, including sitting in the car listening to the radio - it is always better to have the car in READY mode with the awareness that the petrol engine is going to periodically start/stop - better to use a small amount of petrol than have a flat 12V battery.

Or it could be what you guys said and the boot light was on... i did take some stuff out the boot to empty it, so that is quite plausible. That sounds a good idea Sag, can you link me what type of charger you brought?  I will have to check to see if i can turn the boot light off

Many thanks!

It is never easy to tell whether a 12V battery has gone flat due to accidentally leaving a door slightly open or an interior light left on, OR through slower misuse via the accessory mode (I've always wondered why Toyota included these modes when it can shorten the life of the 12V battery?).

#9 johalareewi

johalareewi

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 1,494 posts
  • First Name:alan
  • Toyota Model: Prius gen3 T3
  • Year: 2009

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

The 4 blips is for the HV battery, not the 12v battery.

You don't really get a choice in this. The hybrid will decide when to use petrol and when to use electric. You can 'hint' with EV mode.

If the 12V battery has gone completely flat, it could be faulty. Should be able to get it tested/swapped. Being discharged will have shorten its life so maybe a warranty swap? Plenty of threads on here about 12V battery testing.

The 12V battery operates all the normal electrical stuff like door locks, radio, lights. The HV battery is just for driving the electric motors and for chargin up the 12V battery.

Always worth putting the car into READY mode when using the 12V accessory sockets for any length of time. Also, you can't abuse the HV battery (even though you think you can). The car's battery management won't let you.

So my basic guess is that the starter battery is not getting charged up when on electric.... and hence with natural discharge and lots of use of the 12v it caused the problem.

The 12V battery is charged up when the car is in READY mode. It is charged from the HV battery.

.....or i have a dodgy alternator ?

Or even no alternator ;)

#10 Chris Dance

Chris Dance

Chris Dance

• Registered Member
  • 1,173 posts
  • First Name:Chris
  • Toyota Model: Prius T-Spirit Gen 3
  • Year: 2014

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

Using electric tyre pump etc quickly flattens the 12v battery. I ditched my electric tyre pump and I now use a foot pump.

I experienced a flat battery on our previous Gen 2 Prius caused by not closing the back hatch properly. I now ensure all interior lights are off. On the Prius you should not jump start the 12v battery directly, only use the connection in the engine compartment. Is the Auris different to this? I am told that most RAC & AA guys know about hybrids. Good idea is to be in Toyota Club accident & breakdown you get full AA service.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users