Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Has Discharged!

Dasbob

I am sure they can source one.... like from the factory in the UK that makes the cars!

I suggested that, or just take one from a new stock car.

The dealer say that it is now a Toyota Technical job, and it has to be done by the book.

I am sure they can source one.... like from the factory in the UK that makes the cars!

Maybe Toyota have had such a shortage that they have been shipping new cars with batteries that they know have failed QA - now that would be a low thing to do to their customers!

I've got a bit of a downer on Toyota at he moment, but I don't think they would do a thing like that, they have had quite enough bad publicity recently.

Just spoken to the manager of the dealership, going to swap my petrol Auris loan car for an hybrid one, so at least I'm driving the type of car I bought.

The Battery is coming from the manufacturer in Japan and could take a couple of weeks, it's hard to believe they have no stock at all in the UK!

Going back to basics here but has anyone who has had this flat Battery problem checked that the Battery connections are clean and corrosion or oxidisation free.

I've noticed on many new batteries that you buy from a motor factor shop that they have a dull finish on the terminals. I always clean the terminals and the Battery lead connections to a bright finish before connecting up. then a smear of vaseline on top to prevent any further corrosion or oxidisation of the terminals.

Battery chargers and vehicle charging systems rely on the resistance of the battery to determine whether it it charged or not, the higher the charge in the battery the more resistance and the charger/charging system lowers the charge rate. Poor connections cause a higher resistance to charge so the charger/charging system will be fooled into thinking the battery is charged when it isn't and as such switch off. It doesn't matter how far you drive, 5 miles or 200 miles, if the charging system has switched off, the battery won't get any more charge.

If I had this problem, the first thing I'd do would be to clean the battery posts, the cable connections and the earth cable connection to the body.

In the case of my car, no I have not checked the state of the Battery connections.

When the AA guy was starting the car the day it broke down, he had his voltmeter and clip-on ammeter connected to the Battery and they looked nice and clean and new.

The car has been with the dealer a week tomorrow, where they tell me the Battery has been off the car for testing and charging twice, so I assume they checked for oxidisation etc.

I take your point though and it would be a good idea to check if the battery was not holding a charge.

Going back to basics here but has anyone who has had this flat battery problem checked that the battery connections are clean and corrosion or oxidisation free.

I've noticed on many new batteries that you buy from a motor factor shop that they have a dull finish on the terminals. I always clean the terminals and the battery lead connections to a bright finish before connecting up. then a smear of vaseline on top to prevent any further corrosion or oxidisation of the terminals...................

If I had this problem, the first thing I'd do would be to clean the battery posts, the cable connections and the earth cable connection to the body.

This is excellent advice but my guess is that terminal corrosion is rarely a cause of problems in Prius/Auris where the Battery is tucked away in a nice cool dry space. More likely is simply that the Battery has aged or in this case that it was faulty to start with. The other possibility is that the charging system may be faulty and is cutting the charge off too early.

Battery chargers and vehicle charging systems rely on the resistance of the battery to determine whether it it charged or not, the higher the charge in the battery the more resistance and the charger/charging system lowers the charge rate. Poor connections cause a higher resistance to charge so the charger/charging system will be fooled into thinking the battery is charged when it isn't and as such switch off. It doesn't matter how far you drive, 5 miles or 200 miles, if the charging system has switched off, the battery won't get any more charge.

At risk of taking the thread up an irrelevant alley about Battery technology.......

I've never heard an explanation that battery chargers measure resistance to calculate the state of charge. The more usual story is that it is the cell voltage that is measured. For a fuller explanation you may like to look here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery

Pleased to report that my car started just fine after having sat unused for 19 days :)

I think the two Kevins are being extremely patient.

Pleased to report that my car started just fine after having sat unused for 19 days :)

I think the two Kevins are being extremely patient.

I'm pleased to hear your car was ok, I thought it would be.

It's not a case of being patient, it seems that there's not a lot the dealer can do if you need a new Battery, however much you shout, you have to wait until Toyota supplies one.

I went to the dealer Saturday to swap a petrol Auris for a Hybrid Auris loan car, now at least I'm driving the type of car I bought.

The dealer also gave me a questionnaire from Toyota Technical, to take away and complete, it runs to 4 pages, and ask all about my driving style, use of equipment, mileage etc, so if nothing else they are taking my problem seriously.

Just to keep you up to date with my 12 volt Battery saga.

Toyota Customer Service have phoned me today to update me on the possible delivery date of my Battery, they think it will be in the next two weeks, and to ensure me that my case is being given their highest priority.

I still find it amazing, with all the resources that must be available to a company like Toyota, that they are marketing cars that they do not have spares for, and they are unable to source a 12 volt Battery!

I have today just completed the questionnaire for new owners that Toyota sends out, it makes grim reading, in all honesty I could give them only poor marks for nearly all questions.

okay update!

Got a phone call today (after they had my car over the weekend). They had no problem starting it this morning.... :*roll eyes* and they have spoken to Toyota technical who reckon its because my keys are too close to the car when am not using it. They are keeping it tonight to see how it goes tomorrow....

So when i got home today i measured the 25 meter distance between the outside wall of my house and where my car normally lives..... I will need to ask them what the "Recommended" distance is to keep the keys away from the car as i dont imagine many people will be buying these cars if 25 meters is too close.... i have even taken a picture of the distance as well.

*sigh*... i knew this would happen

okay update!

Got a phone call today (after they had my car over the weekend). They had no problem starting it this morning.... :*roll eyes* and they have spoken to Toyota technical who reckon its because my keys are too close to the car when am not using it. They are keeping it tonight to see how it goes tomorrow....

So when i got home today i measured the 25 meter distance between the outside wall of my house and where my car normally lives..... I will need to ask them what the "Recommended" distance is to keep the keys away from the car as i dont imagine many people will be buying these cars if 25 meters is too close.... i have even taken a picture of the distance as well.

*sigh*... i knew this would happen

Keep your chin up.

Toyota will eventually decide you need a new Battery, but they can't say so just now because they don't have any.

heh Cheers...... just starting to get fed up and angry now (can feel that rage and despair building). Its totally soiled my view of the car, look back at my past posts and you would think the sun shined out of my exhaust... now i hate the !Removed! thing.

heh Cheers...... just starting to get fed up and angry now (can feel that rage and despair building). Its totally soiled my view of the car, look back at my past posts and you would think the sun shined out of my exhaust... now i hate the !Removed! thing.

I'm sure it will all be sorted out, how hard can it be to find the reason for a Battery going flat?

This thing about the keys being too near the car is just silly, I think they are just grasping at straws, the sensing range is less then a metre, you will need a new Battery, but Toyota have a problem here, they don't have any.

I've had a loan Auris Hybrid from Toyota just over a week now, done nearly 1000 miles in it, it seems a well made car and is certainly easy to drive, and this one has the added feature, it starts!

Frankly, given that this has been going on for a while, I'd be contacting Watchdog - you have no idea how efficient most companies become just to avoid getting mentioned there :P

Yes, I think 25 metres is far enough away that it doesn't cause a problem. When I wash mine I have to remember to take the keys out of my pocket so the car doesn't keep unlocking and locking itself with all the water on the handles. Whilst I haven't measured the distance I normally put them at the back of the garage for safety which is about 10 metres, no more, from the car. I am sure that 5 metres would be enough. If I remember I will test the distance tomorrow but I suspect that the other Kevin is right as it tries to prevent anyone opening the car that doesn't have the key.

Getting to be quite a saga this unfortunately for you.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Is it really 5 metres, that seems a little too far for practical reasons, you could have the key in your house and someone could open your car if it was stood on your drive.

I'll have to try it out with the loan car I've got at the moment.

They mentioned to me on the phone that "they are getting a few of these coming in with people having the key in the porch".

Regardless i am pretty sure its not the distance... ugh... what urks me more is around the same time my brand new Galaxy S4 phone died too (black screen of death).... and i am stuck in the same limbo with them, its been 5 weeks and all i am told is it is "with a technician"

The sale of good act means nothing when you are stuck in a warranty limbo, i would like to be able to get a full refund on both products and go else where

Although the car might open if the key is within x meters of either the front doors or the boot - near where the sensors are - it will not allow it to be started unless the key is detected inside the car in close proximity to I think the steering wheel or center console.

It won't even start if you lean in with the drivers door open and press the button. So while there is a slim chance of someone opening the car and stealing stuff if the keys are near when parked on the drive, there is no chance of someone coming along and driving off.

I am sure there is a diagram in the owner's manual of where the sensors are exactly and areas of operation for the smart entry. If not the owner's manual then one of the pamphlets that come in the pack with the car.

Firstly I would give them a date to get it repaired by, then if they don't meet the deadline I would take it to an auto electrical engineer to get it diagnosed and get a report then bill the incompetent dealer for the engineers report and if they can't fix what the engineer says is wrong then ask for a refund and/or take them to small claims court.

If they are dragging it out because they have no batteries in stock then they should find a Battery from another supplier.

Sorry, I didn't mean that the car would open if the key was 5 metres away - I just meant to suggest that as a safe distance.

As above, having tried it once, I know that the car won't start unless the key is inside - I once tried it while stood outside and it wouldn't start.

Update!

So last night when I was moaning on here I also sent a moaning email to customer relations with my ref from last time I contacted......

Today I got a phone call from the dealership and they said they tried everything they can think of and it seems fine to them, they charged it to 100%, I asked what tests they had done and it sounded quite conclusive.. I asked what happens if it happens again, they said they would have to get Toyota technical more involved (already on phone to them)... I thought I may as well jump through the hoops....

So I went to pick car up this lunch time and the guy seems a bit highly strung but trying to be polite... I know the look I worked in Tesco for 5 years and had to put a smile on. He told me right away that they were going to get a Battery from a new car out the back and put it in my car... so I waited for them to do this and then he handed me the keys and quite sharply went (I did say I would buy them a drink if it works out).

Maybe he was busy but it seems odd how suddenly they wanted to put a new Battery in and he seemed a bit strung... maybe its just me.

Lets see how this goes... :-/

I suggested that they put a Battery on my car from one of their new cars, but they said that now Toyota Technical are involved it has to be done their way, which means shipping a Battery in from Japan.

I also suggested that they get a Battery flown in for my car, but again it seems Toyota Technical says NO, I even suggested that they contact the factory in Derby and asked them for a battery, again no can do, so much for Toyota and it's good customer relations!

I think they just got peed off with me and wanted me out the door, thats how it felt any way. I think customer relations talked his ear off and they just thought "sod it"

saying that i have no idea if i have a new Battery or not... just says B20 (JIS) on it and looks same to me as the other one... lets see what happens

They did clean the car inside and out and put a few bob of petrol in it, which was nice of them

I reckon the limit of range for the key is about 1.5 metres - did a bit of a test yesterday afternoon.

All this about 'key in the porch' must be people who park right up to their front door !

I think you're right about 1.5 metres, I think the problem of the keys being near the car overnight causing the Battery to flatten is a bit of a red herring.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links