Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Wheels

Uncle_P

Evening all,

The original alloys on my 03 Rav are looking a bit tired and one of them is loosing pressure. They're all well corroded around the valve. I was thinking that this might be a good time to treat myself to some new wheels. Have I got it right that I have 16x7" wheels with a bolt diameter of 114? They're the regular 5 stud design. There are plenty of wheels to choose from on eBay from other Toyota models, but which models share the rav4 spec? I also can't find any mention of the offset required.

Any help gratefully received!

Bill

If you like wheels you have Toyota offer refurbished alloy wheels on an exchange basis, give your local dealer or Parts-king a message prices start at around £75 + vat each.

There was a bit of a trend a while back to fit Lexus wheels on the 4.2.

Evening all,

The original alloys on my 03 Rav are looking a bit tired and one of them is loosing pressure. They're all well corroded around the valve. I was thinking that this might be a good time to treat myself to some new wheels. Have I got it right that I have 16x7" wheels with a bolt diameter of 114? They're the regular 5 stud design. There are plenty of wheels to choose from on ebay from other Toyota models, but which models share the rav4 spec? I also can't find any mention of the offset required.

Any help gratefully received!

Bill

Attached is the key spec for FITMENT to your car. There are various (but not all) other Toyota and Lexus models that use identical fitting parameters (offset usually varies between models), but ensure that the loading capability on the new wheels match or exceed the original (And most aftermarket wheels are pretty rubbish and tend to buckle/crack much more easily then OEM ones).

Other non-Toyota OEM wheels that have the same main fittings (studs, PCD and CB) are the current Suzuki GV,Suzuki Swift Sport and the Suzuki SX4/Fiat Sedici

post-29315-0-70246700-1377838387_thumb.j

Great answers from you all, thanks. I didn't realise that Mr T did refurbished wheels. Lucky for me, Kingo is my local dealer, so it shouldn't be hard to get in touch. Load rating isn't something that I'd thought of.. I do go off road in my Rav and have got grabber all terrain tyres all round, so the wheels will need to be strong. Maybe cheap eBay wheels aren't the way to go.. Refurbishing the original wheels seems like a good option.

Does anyone know if the 18" alloy's from a lexus RX400 be able to fit on a RAV ? :unsure:

Actually don't know if they will fit, but the ride quality will probably suffer if you fit bigger wheels. :dontgetit:

Does anyone know if the 18" alloy's from a lexus RX400 be able to fit on a RAV ? :unsure:

Offset is different by 10, so the wheel centre *could* be inboard a little (depends on style of wheel if it will 'appear' in further or not), and often a wheel will have a different offset to compensate for the wheel width (so the ones quoted in the screen shot info may not be applicable anyway, just like when you look for tyres onlinw and put in your car reg, it sometimes comes back with the wrong wheel size!)

Apart from that, other parameters are the same so should be a straight swap.

In terms of Ride, typically, the bigger the wheel, the slimmer the tyre and worse the ride. Don the anchorman would be a good person to ask as he will have had RAVs with both 17" and 18" wheels.

post-29315-0-89410200-1377931965_thumb.j

post-29315-0-06950800-1377933136_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks for the info David.. :)

Good idea, I ask Don if the ride quality is much different..

How about something like these,

gallery_56959_1575_56025.jpg

gallery_56959_1575_6518.jpg

Only joking, don't panic Gus..... ( maybe if I was 20 years younger )

I was in the US earlier this year and saw a Rav with some different wheels, the internals kept spinning when the Rav was stopped at the lights, I have to say the Rav was pimped up so much it would have left Hoovie in the shade :)

I must find a picture of the wheels if I can.

Gus

I was in the US earlier this year and saw a Rav with some different wheels, the internals kept spinning when the Rav was stopped at the lights, I have to say the Rav was pimped up so much it would have left Hoovie in the shade :)

I must find a picture of the wheels if I can.

Gus

My pimping days are (mostly) over :D. The next job to do is to replace the current 18" two-tone alloys with some second-hand Peugeot 307 17" alloys fitted with Winter Tyres (but hopefully not before November!)

Those chrome spinners look a little tacky, don't ya think?

Liz, that Black RAV looks pretty good actually :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got in touch with kingo about 'recon' wheels and it's not something that Toyota do. I've been looking at all sorts of option, and at the moment I'm considering plain black steel wheels. My Rav spends quite a lot of its life in fields and mud, so robust construction is the main priority rather than prettiness.

I'm guessing there must be suppliers of steel wheels out there because of the popularity of winter tyres. As yet, I've not found any that will fit though.

Phone Derek at Merlin wheels. He gets loads of genuine wheels and sells them at good prices. They get delivered next day and he will get you winter tyres too.

I got in touch with kingo about 'recon' wheels and it's not something that Toyota do. I've been looking at all sorts of option, and at the moment I'm considering plain black steel wheels. My Rav spends quite a lot of its life in fields and mud, so robust construction is the main priority rather than prettiness.

I'm guessing there must be suppliers of steel wheels out there because of the popularity of winter tyres. As yet, I've not found any that will fit though.

Toyota do offer an exchange wheel scheme via Pristene alloy wheels, Customer relations even specify there use for alloys wheel issues claimed under goodwill

Phone Derek at Merlin wheels. He gets loads of genuine wheels and sells them at good prices. They get delivered next day and he will get you winter tyres too.

Do you have a link? Google turned up too many hits for me to wade through! I don't need winter tyres, my Grabber AT's will go anywhere :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Almost sorted.. Only one of my tyres keeps loosing pressure, so I've bought a lone wheel from eBay. Should be here tomorrow, so I'll get my local tyre shop to switch them over. I took it to them when I first noticed the drop in psi and they sprayed a bit of soapy water around the seat of the valve and said it was knackered. The replacement wheel looks pretty much unused and shiny, but a trip over to the farm will have it looking like all the others!

Well the replacement wheel is on and all seems well. It's unused, but has a date stamp of 2004 on it. I guess it's just been sat on a shelf somewhere.

Does anybody want a knackered wheel with missing lacquer that won't hold pressure? ...... I thought not, off to the tip later!

Well the replacement wheel is on and all seems well. It's unused, but has a date stamp of 2004 on it. I guess it's just been sat on a shelf somewhere.

Does anybody want a knackered wheel with missing lacquer that won't hold pressure? ...... I thought not, off to the tip later!

Take it to the scrap yard sorry, metal recyclers, and get a few quid for it Bill

Take it to the scrap yard sorry, metal recyclers, and get a few quid for it Bill

Current rate is £1 a kilo, so the average RAV alloy will net you about £7 ;)

Only our rav 04 plate a couple of weeks just waded through service history and noticed all wheels replaced by toyota at 20thou mile service was this normal or did mine have a problem at some time

Only our rav 04 plate a couple of weeks just waded through service history and noticed all wheels replaced by toyota at 20thou mile service was this normal or did mine have a problem at some time

Prone to surface corrosion and the astute drivers got them changed under warranty.....I too was astute........only alloys Toyota got right were the ones they bought from Ronal, Europe.

Prone to surface corrosion and the astute drivers got them changed under warranty.....I too was astute........only alloys Toyota got right were the ones they bought from Ronal, Europe.

I waited until 2 years and 11 months old and got a full set of replacements on mine ;)