Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 T180 Or D-4D? Please Help

burgerandchips

Hi there,

I test drove 2006 T180 Rav4 at the weekend and loved it. I didn't buy it there and then as there are a couple of gaps in the service history and I wanted to check this would be okay. I then read that there have been lots of head gasket problems with this engine. I have a couple of questions:

What is the fail rate of the head gasket? Will all T180s blow the head gasket or is it just a small percentage?

Is it just the T180 diesels that have HG issues or do the standard D-4D 136bhp diesels also have the problem?

There is a similarly priced D-4D 136bhp in the area, although spec isn't as good, if engine is better I'd go with that.

Are there many of you out there who have T180s and no engine issues at all?

I really want the Rav - I just need reassuring!

Thanks,

Will

The T180's certainly seem to pop up with a lot of issues.

I had a 136bhp model, the XT5 - had just the same internal trim (leather, elec heated seats, sat nav, voice control, sunroof), externally it didn't have the dreaded (and expensive) run flat system or the flared arches. I put 50k miles on my XT5 and never needed a thing apart from usual service items.

I could be wrong in saying this, but the T180's seem to "thrive" better if they are doing good trips / miles to keep DPF clear and not just tooting about town.

I also had a tuning box fitted to it which would have brought it up to around 150bhp mark and was very "able".

Ive now just gone up to the 150bhp model XTR (think 09 onwards?) and engine is very, very smooth on that.

Welcome to the club Will :thumbsup:

The answers to some of your questions are in Charlie Farlie's pinned thread at the top of the forum:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/page-44#entry1289089

Start on page one of 44............................

As for percentages, only Toyota will have an idea of that and I wouldn't expect them to divulge.

Thanks for the quick response and useful info! Much appreciated

I think that a T180 is just that wee bit more likely to suffer problems and this may be due to it producing quite a bit more power and torque which could find the weaknesses moe easily.... That said we have seen lots if XTRs and other engines along with many other cars in the Toyota range suffering problems at all levels if tune...

My advice would be to either find a car that has had it's engine replaced or buy a petrol ...

Cars with incomplete history and on the original engine present a very large risk. !!!

• Like 1

.....and remember the goodwill extension is 7 years 112K..........NOT a day longer! so if it has not had an engine, that is something to consider if it is a 2006 model

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have a 2006 T180 on 64k mls. Which to my knowledge still has the original engine.

It has non of the early signs of engine damage..loss of coolant and high oil consumption.

So not ALL engines are affected,but that's not to say it will never happen?

The general condition of the car is always a good indicator of how it's been treated,and mine looked in mint condition.

I have owned most of the Rav4 models and the T180 is by far the best.

After saying all that, to be on the safe side I would still take Charlie's advice and get one that's had an engine change,

as the Toyota goodwill warranty period will have expired on most T180's.

Good luck with the search.

I think that a T180 is just that wee bit more likely to suffer problems and this may be due to it producing quite a bit more power and torque which could find the weaknesses moe easily.... That said we have seen lots if XTRs and other engines along with many other cars in the Toyota range suffering problems at all levels if tune...

My advice would be to either find a car that has had it's engine replaced or buy a petrol ...

Cars with incomplete history and on the original engine present a very large risk. !!!

Would that mean the extra torque provide by a chip kit will hasten its demise Charlie?

It would certainly not affect the oil consumption issue and head gasket shuffling is caused by carbon build up, so I would say no. If the gasket is going to go it will go with a chip fitted or not

• Like 1

Thanks very much for this guys, and for helping me make the decision. I will leave this T180 and see if one comes up that's had the engine done. Can you confirm what year this all got sorted out by Toyota? It might be worth me saving up a bit more to get a later model that doesn't have this issue? Do they do the T180 model in these later versions. I did really like the way it drove but I can't risk losing £3000 on a repair bill!

Will

Would that mean the extra torque provide by a chip kit will hasten its demise Charlie?

[/quote

I would agree with Kingo on this one...

I do however think there is a correlation between the extra power the standard T180 makes and the lower powered versions of the Rav.. The reality however says all versions of the 2AD engine are and will remain a risk up to and way beyond the extended warranty...

My T180 will be for sale as soon as I can locate a white late model SR.. My one is a well sorted example of the T180 which as many of you will know has had the engine sorted along with the clutch.. It has just about every option fitted and is in what I would call top condition.. I always avoid the term "Mint" as to me a Mint car can only be a brand new car as even a stone chip means its no longer mint.

Quite how the hell I will ever arrive at a price for my car though has me stumped. They are advertised for silly figures on the trader and of course on eBay..

Hardest thing I think is going to find a car in equal never mind better condition to replace the T180 with ! But its time now and somewhere there must be that really nice white SR ready to be bought.. Then and only then will I let go of the T180.. Its still a car I like... A quite brilliant workhorse and all rounder !

I would agree with Kingo on this one...

I do however think there is a correlation between the extra power the standard T180 makes and the lower powered versions of the Rav.. The reality however says all versions of the 2AD engine are and will remain a risk up to and way beyond the extended warranty...

My T180 will be for sale as soon as I can locate a white late model SR.. My one is a well sorted example of the T180 which as many of you will know has had the engine sorted along with the clutch.. It has just about every option fitted and is in what I would call top condition.. I always avoid the term "Mint" as to me a Mint car can only be a brand new car as even a stone chip means its no longer mint.

Quite how the hell I will ever arrive at a price for my car though has me stumped. They are advertised for silly figures on the trader and of course on eBay..

Hardest thing I think is going to find a car in equal never mind better condition to replace the T180 with ! But its time now and somewhere there must be that really nice white SR ready to be bought.. Then and only then will I let go of the T180.. Its still a car I like... A quite brilliant workhorse and all rounder !

It would certainly not affect the oil consumption issue and head gasket shuffling is caused by carbon build up, so I would say no. If the gasket is going to go it will go with a chip fitted or not

As the chip gives you better fuel economy, then I assume the fuel is being utilised better. I wonder then does this mean less carbon, due to a more efficient burning of the fuel. Could the chip actually delay carbon buildup (even if ever so slightly)? Or am i just talking rubbish?

• Like 1

Good question Lee..I was thinking on the same lines

Maybe someone with more technical knowledge than us has the answer?

As the chip gives you better fuel economy, then I assume the fuel is being utilised better. I wonder then does this mean less carbon, due to a more efficient burning of the fuel. Could the chip actually delay carbon buildup (even if ever so slightly)? Or am i just talking rubbish?

Ive randomly checked quite a few vehicles with a chip fitted over the years and nearly all have been slightly under what the emissions should be, however I don't think you would delay the carbon build up. The carbon build up is the scurge of the modern engine, blowby and EGR gasses being fed back in causing the problem. no chip kit or gadget is going to stop that

What's the betting that all the manufacturers would say that using these would invalidate their respective warranties?

Indeed..........good fuel and good oil (low ash for DPF models) is a must

• Like 1

What's the betting that all the manufacturers would say that using these would invalidate their respective warranties?

I'm sure they would!... It would be a nice "Get out" for them!!... Why would you want to tell them that you use it anyway? Its up to the person what they use in there car! That goes for the brand of fuels, right down to the brand of oils to...

I'm sure they would!... It would be a nice "Get out" for them!!... Why would you want to tell them that you use it anyway? Its up to the person what they use in there car! That goes for the brand of fuels, right down to the brand of oils to...