Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 2.2 Cold Start Up Problems

2.2TR

These last few days its been a bit colder in the mornings and my verso seems to take a bit longer to start, very splutery and smokey, and once its going it takes a moment or 2 before it takes the rev properly.

The rest of the day it goes fine, plenty of power and stops and starts no problem.

Going to change the fuel filter to see if it helps but was just wondering has anyone had similar problems?

Ive only had the car since the start of summer so havent experienced cold morning starts before.

It has 70000 miles

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have a 06 2.2D4D from new and have 115k on the odo and recently sufered similar starting problems. I dismissed the fact that glow plugs were to blame as I replaced them all last year. Instead I replaced the cold start relay but ocasional poor cold starts continued. Today I cleaned the MAS sensor on the air filter box and the engine seems smoother and responsive but going back to the poor cold starts I developed this system; if the engine fails to start after my normal three werrr werr werrs I press stop then start again. For me this works EVERY TIME. Good luck

• 2 months later...

I have just had a similar cold start problem with my 08 Verso SR 2.2 ltr D4D Only when properly cold the starter motor would run for ever without firing the engine. It seemed to me that the Glow Plug Light never stayed on as long as it did before the problem arose so I used to sit and turn the ignition on and off a few times and wait a while and eventually "go for ignition" . Mostly, would then start amid a beautiful cloud of black smoke!!

For the rest of the day there was no problem.

As I had an extended warranty i took it to my local Toyota dealer who diagnosed injectors 1 and 4 were out of tolerance so (they say) replaced all 4 . Since then no problems. I am actually almost looking forward to the frosts of next winter to see if the effect is lasting.

Being something of a cynic, I wonder if they only replaced whatever the gubbins is that makes the glow plugs glow long enough to have their effect.

Check the time of this and preceding posts, such as 09.17PM. C'mon guys in Admin, If you cant get the clocks to read properly what chance is there with the rest of the system? :doctor:

• 1 month later...

I have just had a similar cold start problem with my 08 Verso SR 2.2 ltr D4D Only when properly cold the starter motor would run for ever without firing the engine. It seemed to me that the Glow Plug Light never stayed on as long as it did before the problem arose so I used to sit and turn the ignition on and off a few times and wait a while and eventually "go for ignition" . Mostly, would then start amid a beautiful cloud of black smoke!!

As I had an extended warranty i took it to my local Toyota dealer who diagnosed injectors 1 and 4 were out of tolerance so (they say) replaced all 4 . Since then no problems. I am actually almost looking forward to the frosts of next winter to see if the effect is lasting.

Being something of a cynic, I wonder if they only replaced whatever the gubbins is that makes the glow plugs glow long enough to have their effect.

How much did the replacement injectors cost?

How much did the replacement injectors cost?

Just shy of £2300. Thank goodness for the extended warranty!