Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No Voice Dialling On Touch N Go...mis-Selling/false Advertising?

alan333

My 2009 Avensis TR with the basic stereo did voice dialling from the steering wheel button. There was a bit of incompatability between my iPhone and the stereo (it couldn't download the contacts) but I used an old phone to cheat it into accepting voice tags, and the system then worked flawlessly. I used the voice dial function all the time.

I recently changed my car to a 2012 TR and, during the test drive, asked about the iPhone compatability issue. It turns out there are no iPhone issues with it's Touch and Go stereo. I had also browsed the brochure for the 2012 model and noticed that the TR has "voice recognition button on steering wheel". I therefore assumed that it would do voice dialling. However it turns out that pressing the button shows "this function not available" or similar. I've had the dealer check different makes of phone on a car in his forecourt and he gets the same message.

So...There's a voice recognition button, but it doesn't do anything, even tho it did on the basic stereo on the pre-facelift model. It would be as well saying "ejector seat button on steering wheel" in the brochure.

What's your thoughts on this one...is it fair and reasonable to assume that by stating it has a voice recognition button that it would do voice recognition? Where do I go from here? There's every chance I wouldn't have bought the car if I'd known this.

Already covered under two topics below:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150335-voice-control/?hl=%2Bvoice+%2Brecognition#entry1283750

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/145843-voice-recognition-not-available-on-auris-hybrid-2013-excel/?hl=%2Bvoice+%2Brecognition

The voice recognition button operates when Touch & Go Plus is fitted.

Can't see that it is false advertising - Toyota has said in the brochure that the voice recognition button is on the steering wheel (which it is). Possibly assuming the button works with the existing audio unit is wrong.

Already covered under two topics below:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150335-voice-control/?hl=+voice++recognition#entry1283750

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/145843-voice-recognition-not-available-on-auris-hybrid-2013-excel/?hl=+voice++recognition

The voice recognition button operates when Touch & Go Plus is fitted.

Can't see that it is false advertising - Toyota has said in the brochure that the voice recognition button is on the steering wheel (which it is). Possibly assuming the button works with the existing audio unit is wrong.

Thanks for your reply. I understand your point but to further illustrate mine the manual says my car has "audio and mode switches on steering wheel". Would it be wrong of me to assume they operate the audio and mode? Or that the "telephone switch on steering wheel" operates the telephone? Misleading is a severe understatement of their "voice recignition button on steering wheel" statement.

Anyway, from reading the threads you kindly linked to it seems it might be possible to add a module type thing to enable the voice dialling. Any further info on this much appreciated. The dealer has already told me the T&G+ can't be retro-fitted but I'm not so sure. Thanks for your help :)

• 7 months later...

Just a follow up on the lack of voice dialling. My iPhone 4 has it's own built-in voice dialling, so by pressing and holding the "home" button on the phone, the phone goes into "listening mode", but uses the microphone in the car. So, although not ideal, and obviously not truly hands-free, voice dialling can be done. I believe SIRI on the newer iphones can be done in the same way, but I'm still living in 2008 or so, so haven't tried it.

Maybe this can be handy for someone :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links