Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2013 - Erratic Climate Control

Blue Canary

Anyone else experienced erratic behaviour from the climate control system? I have it set to Auto. Sometimes it keeps me comfortable, and sometimes it sends out a jet of cold air straight form Siberia. It seems to behave itself in the morning, and misbehave in the afternoon.

• 2 months later...

I have a problem to with the AC.

Sometimes there is an annoying cold draft.

My dealer has driven with my car and they say that there is nothing abnormal.

I think there is a problem with the AC But Toyota will have to admit that there is a problem.

I find it odd that it's 'clever' enough not to try to blow hot air before the engines heated up, and yet if you turn off the ignition it's not 'clever' enough to realise it can't provide hot air any more and thus just blows cold instead. A bit annoying. Not had any Siberian gusts, though.

My 2007 Auris with climate sometimes will let cool air out the face vents when it's cold outside and the climate is set to auto. Hot air will still come out from the feet. This is explained in the manual.

The purpose is to create a comfortable environment - warm environment while keeping my face/head cool.

The trigger for the auto climate control to do this? I'm still not sure.

There is an infra red heat sensor at the base of the windscreen where the demist vent is. In strong-ish sunshine that detects rapid heating of the interior and redirects airflow to the face vents.

• 2 months later...

Had an Auris since January '12. On long runs fine for the first hour/ hour and half then as another post says there is a cold draft. I don't use Auto as the climate control as this does seem to be for chilling only (also advised not to use by dealer) You expect the a/c climate to kick back in when balanced but the draft goes on until you turn the heat up and then becomes too hot and up and down the temperature goes for the rest of the journey with constant adjustments. Which seems to defeat the object of air con. The cold draft is a discomfort and takes some enjoyment from an otherwise fine car. Had the car in to the dealer even took it in when the draft had started. They used a temperature sensor and quarter tank of fuel and said everything is working fine! But in real driving conditions in colder months this draft keeps coming. No one has posted which model they use mine is an Icon with single zone does this happen in dual zone cars? The passenger side seems to be affected first, by wife feels the draft first but soon comes through to driver side. The dealer said no-one else had said anything about this issue but seems there are. If anyone has found the right balance to keep a comfortable temperature please post

Have you had your Auris Icon since January 2013 (profile says 2012)? The second generation didn't go on sale til December 2012.

On my last Auris the climate control was left on Auto virtually all year round without issue - that's why the Auto function is there.

By not using the Auto function, you're effectively relegating it to a manual air con/heating system, which is why the system doesn't kick in to maintain a constant temperature.

Also as you're not using the climate control on Auto, are you using the air con regularly? If not you could be storing up air con problems for later.

• 3 years later...

Replying to Aliank. Can totally relate to his comment. Had Auris since September 2014. During long journey need a blanket!  At end of 2-3 hour trip front passenger's feet, legs, arms and hands are so cold. This goes unnoticed on short journeys. It's the frog in the pot scenario in reverse (freezing!). 

Dealer has very little interest. Fobs us off. Says never heard of this problem.  

Car is still under Warranty but we've been told we have to pay £140 for the inspection.  

We've pointed out forums where other Auris owners say the same. If these problems were resolved & Toyota listened to us we would buy Toyota again but as things stand won't be returning for another new car.  

Draft comes through from boot area under rear passenger seat. Forgot to mention this to dealer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links