Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Tyres Ordered

Hicardo

I know! I've had tyres down in my cellar for six months of the year without any trouble previously. Its health and safety gone mad lol!

"...do not wear any more quickly" !? :eek:

I don't believe that for a second! Maybe if they are comparing them to a ridiculously soft summer compound like the Continental Premium 5's I had (Not even 8000 #@£$%& miles!), but no way is a winter compound tyre going to survive motorway and A-roads on a blazing summer day with the same wear as a normal summer tyre.

And then all the tread would be worn down and be completely unhelpful in winter anyway!

For us that live in a city, I don't believe winter tyres provide any major benefit over summer tyres in winter, except maybe when it's snowing, but if you're going to get them it's only worth it if you're going to do the switcharoo biannually IMHO.

No they do provide more benefits over summer tyres than just when it's snowing, they're going to be much more effective at braking under temperatures of 7 degrees, and less likely to skid on ice and frosty side roads.

There was an earlier topic in the IQ club on using winter tyres all year round - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/155131-use-winter-tyres-all-year-round/?hl=%2Bwinter+%2Btyres

If you look at post 4, there is a member with experience of this.

I guess it varies between tyres; There are some labelled winter tyres which are supposedly more like all-season tyres (The WinterContact is one I've read about according to tyrereview).

I have seen other posts where people have said their winter tyres felt borderline dangerous braking from highspeed in summer and would not like to drive on them as it got hotter.

If the temps were near zero for long periods of time it could be justified (So prolly a good idea for all your northerners! ;)) but down here, the temps haven't really dropped below 7C for long periods so it really is a lot of money for little to no benefit. :(

I suppose down in the South you need some additional air in your tyres for buoyancy ....

Haha! Lately I think that might not be a bad idea! :lol:

Could rename mine a 'Toyboata' Yaris with the mount of water its had to go through! :lol:

Tell you what tho', I'm !Removed! glad I changed my tyres when I did! With all the rain down here, plus all the roadworks getting crammed in ahead of the April cut-off, the ruts, stones and standing water have made urban driving a lot more 'exciting' than I prefer! :eek::lol: