Do Not Sell My Personal Information

55 Rav4 With Style Pack Insurance

Notebook

Hi All

Looking to renew my insurance - it has a style pack - roof spoiler, side rails and different bumper.

Have got insurance over the years and have explained this in detail only to find months later when I have logged into my policy or when it is up for renewal to find that no changes to the original spec have been noted, even though I have been charged for them....

Anyway, its that time of year...

Anyone recommend cover etc?

Spent last 2 evenings filling in forms to find at the end it just says ring us!!!!

AARRRRGGGGHHHHHH

Cheers

Dunno about price comparisons, but I made a big claim recently with my insurers AXA and they were outstanding in all respects, so would recommend at the least getting a quote from them.

Notes min......here's a wee note for yer Notebook......

When the wee lassie asks ye to describe the "style pack", be very careful not to describe the lightweight nudge bar on the front bumper as a "BULLBAR KINDA FING" like what which I did ..........what a SAGA that caused, to the extent they cancelled my week old cover. Their attitude was that a BULLBAR has the potential to cause more damage than a car without one, so told me to gubber off. Were not in the least interested in my efforts to retract the wording and explain that flies bounce off it ffs........

In truth, the previous week they had probably not achieved their target of humping as much cash oot the public as they can, and my contacting them the following week gave them the opporchancity to cancel what was a very competitive cheap quote.

If your style pack was factory fit, and you can prove it, no need to inform them, but if you have been gubbering aboot with bodywork, bumpers, etc......complicates fings. Then you have the complication of using Comparison Sites, and ye end up being contacted by your Lithuanian cousin a few weeks later, telling you he owes you money and wants to pay ye back.....

"We do not sell your details on to turd parties......." Aye, right.......

Big Kev..

Hello,

I'm also the process of renewing my insurance.

I have an XTR which has a front bumper protector, side steps, roof rails and leather seats.

Declaring modifications / optional extras is a mine field. There doesn't seam to be a industry standard regarding modifications. Some class factory fit options as a modification and some don't?

My advice would be to read the policy carefully, or phone them up.

With my current insurers 'esure' i've had to declare everything.
The following is taken from their policy booklet:

"Modifications - Any alteration to the manufacturers' standard specification for your car, including optional extras fitted to the car when new by the vehicle manufacturer or dealer, which improves its value, performance, appearance or attractiveness to thieves. This includes, but is not restricted to, changes to the engine, engine management or exhaust system, changes to the wheels or suspension system, changes to the bodywork, such as spoilers or body kits or changes to the windows, such as tinting. This includes any modifications or changes made by previous owners."

I've done a little research on the internet and it seems more and more insurance companies are going down this route where by 'Standard' means standard ie. no optional extras.

I don't see insuring a modified/non standard car as a problem. I've had many cars in my 20+ years of driving – some of them modified which sometimes meant cheaper insurance!

It's also best to contact insurance companies directly, as I find comparison websites more expensive especially once you clicked the "Modified" button.

For example:
My renewal came through the other day from esure: £311 with everything declared including a glass claim last year. I'm going with Swiftcover this year, again everything declared: £293 with a quidco £35 cash back.

My best comparison website prices are: £436 (Admiral) everything declared, and £346 (esure) as a standard car. So again my modified car insurance is cheaper than if was standard. Strange but true :dontgetit:

Good luck with the renewal, hope you find decent quote.

I know of, and have used (for marketing purposes) the information from comparison websites. In terms of data, it is "hot data" as you need to renew your insurance each year, so your details are updated too, rest assured unless you tick the "no marketing" box, your data WILL be sold, they make a fortune selling it, thats how the comparison sites exist

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks

Got to get it ready as snow falling by the end of the month - luckily it wont reach wales til november

Hopefully a question within the topic:

would buying Toyota provided but different full set of alloys be considered a "modification"?

Hopefully a question within the topic:

would buying Toyota provided but different full set of alloys be considered a "modification"?

Yes, I would have thought so. I had a Golf many years ago and changed the wheels for a set of larger BBS alloys from another VW model. Can't remember who I was insured with, but there was no extra costs to my premium, but they said that if I made a claim they would only replace the wheels with what the car was originally supplied with as standard.

As usual, I would always check with your insurer as they all have different rules regarding what is classed as a modification.

We had Peugeot 306 insured with the Co-op. got written off a couple of years ago in the bad winter, and I had put on a set of aftermarket (Halfords) wheels on to replace the pretty knackered original alloys.

These were not declared as a mod (on basis of alloys for alloys) and the accessor didn't care about it, and agreed full value payout. Plus .... I asked him if I could put the original wheels back on and keep the better ones before it got taken away and he said no problem, so I think attitudes do seem to vary between companies a lot more then might be expected :)

(FWIW, my current policy allows me to insure an unlimited amount of vehicles with any mods you care to name as long as the total value is no more then £35k - not sure if I will keep this policy or not as just sold my van which dropped the total vehicle value to just over £20k)

I insured my RAV through liverpool Victoria. When I explained what was fitted (side steps and style Pack) they charged me for a mod £31), And the same amount for wheel modifications.

Anyway when I fitted the chip they wouldn't allow 3 mods.

When I said I never understood being charged for toyota fitted accessories, side steps and style pack... they put me on hold and came back and allowed them as they are genuine toyota fitted accesorries.

When I spoke to my toyOta dealer they said they are not factory fitted, either fitted at the port when shipped over, or by dealer.

Crickey! First thing Monday, its back to the insurer, as I have style pack from new, and just fitted nicer wheels (thanks Dave) but same size, so wonder what the cost will be!!

Crickey! First thing Monday, its back to the insurer, as I have style pack from new, and just fitted nicer wheels (thanks Dave) but same size, so wonder what the cost will be!!

Nada pesetas, Ainz.......tell him yer last wheels were so corroded they were leaking air, so you were slipping all over the roads in That Spain, and nearly collided with the Spanish Royal family's car.........watch them charge ye nada pesetas, as long as the new wheels are like for like in size......lol.

Just passing through Blighty Kev, left the sun in the sky, and a cool beer in the fridge. Still going back on Tuesday before the skin turns pale!! Spanish insurance wouldn't give a stuff, but I have to take the side steps off every time it has its Spanish MOT. Looking to upgrade the roller skate out there with a newer RAV, but boy are they pricey..... Too much for a retired old man!!

Hopefully it'll cost you nothing extra, but most insurance companies have something called an "Admin" charge, usually £20-£30 :disgust: if you do changes mid policy.

Just passing through Blighty Kev, left the sun in the sky, and a cool beer in the fridge. Still going back on Tuesday before the skin turns pale!! Spanish insurance wouldn't give a stuff, but I have to take the side steps off every time it has its Spanish MOT. Looking to upgrade the roller skate out there with a newer RAV, but boy are they pricey..... Too much for a retired old man!!

What a pain re. the sideys, Ainsley.......no comprendify their thought chain, considering so many cars' tyres I see over there are sucking lollies and shouting "Crocker.....!"