Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid - White Noise From Speakers With Radio Off ?

colint17

Hi, has anyone noticed faint background noise coming from the Speakers even though the radio is turned off, is there anyway to stop this ?

Not a problem but I would have expected no sound at all !

Thanks, Colin

Haven't noticed on mine, but will have a good listen later today to make sure.

I haven't noticed anything but I'll listen next time I'm in.

I did manage to hear it, it's extremely faint though and I can only hear it if the car is stationary, with no ambient noise from outside, and obviously no other noise from the car - no wonder I never noticed before!

Ghosts in the machine?? ;)

Thanks Yolina, glad you can hear the noise too, thought I was imagining things !

I only notice the noise when the car stationary, in the garage with no other sounds around, Unfortunately since I know this noise is there I can't ignore it :angry:

Got to get the car serviced soon, so I'll mention it to the dealership, but don't expect any explanation.

Do you hear the noise with the key out i.e with all off ?

White noise means that the output stages of the audio unit are still active and powered up. One thought, does the hybrid use the speakers/audio system for any driver warning chimes/bluetooth etc rather than dedicated buzzers ? Lights on/off etc, that kind of thing. If so it would need to be powered up all the time the car was "in use".

If its audible all the time (and that means sitting in the locked to be sure all systems power down) then I would suggest its a design/software/firmware issue because it will be causing constant power drain.

Do you hear the noise with the key out i.e with all off ?

No, it's only with the car on.

The one and only time I noticed in a year of having the car is when I was actually trying to hear it so that I could check for Colin. But then I do have music on all the time really so...

Its almost certainly normal in that case and no cause for concern.

The sound occurs only when the key has been inserted and turned at least to the first position. As Mooly mentions it probably needs the Speakers active to issue warnings, communicate with bluetooth etc.

Although not an issue it's a pity that it doesn't enable the speaker circuitry only when actually required and not all the time the key is turned on

Although not an issue it's a pity that it doesn't enable the speaker circuitry only when actually required and not all the time the key is turned on

It's possible the audio has an 'official' upgrade for the UK which involved adding a separate amplifier (eg. for a sub-woofer or more power/speakers). This could have been tacked on by Toyota UK to the standard factory audio system. If the factory radio doesn't have a suitable output to tell external devices when it needs them then they would typically be powered off the Aux position.

(This does happen - my Aygo had a higher spec speaker system and it was obvious the wiring had been added to outside the factory (or at least bodged in the factory) as the extra speaker wires were taped to the outside of the wiring looms.)

• 3 months later...

Got the same issue on a 2013 Yaris in Sweden.

Took it to the dealer today and they said that the noise is there "by design" and not considered as an issue that falls under the warranty according to Toyota Sweden.

Poor design if you ask me.

They tested a similar car and that car had the same noise.

What is the Toyota UK. standpoint on this ?