Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox

newby303

I have just bought a 2010 Toyota Aygo semi auto. It was purchased from and serviced by a main deaIer by an elderly lady.I had dealt with the garage for a while attempting to buy a second hand one and as I had already driven one and this one had just about clocked up 7,000 miles in 3yrs I didn't test drive it. I drove it away and off for a return journey of about 50 miles on Sat. afternoon (5/10/2013) which was fine. However I went out in it this evening Sun.( 06/10/2013) and after starting the engine attempted to move the gear lever from nuetral to easydrive but it would not move. I tried a couple of times and eventually it would go diagonally over to manual then back up into easydrive. Eventually on my return journey from my very short trip it did move straight down from nutral into easydrive as it should. I left the car for a couple of hours and went out to test it again and once again it would not move straight down into easydrive from nuetral it took five gos for it to move smoothly from nuetral to easydrive. I am very concerned that I have been sold a faulty car and although I have two years warrantee to run I know main dealers to be very difficult aboiut undertaking major work on a car. Has anyone had the same experience with an Aygo. I have owned two other autos and neither have responded in this way. The car I test drove had no issues with changing gear either. Does anyone know whether it is actually a Toyota gear box or was it designed by one of the other partners, Peugeot or Citroen? Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be caused by- a leak in the oill for the gearbox? They are supposed to have serviced and MOT'd it before I collected it. I really don't need this hassle now but cannot afford to have a faulty car passed on to me.

newby :o(

If the car drove OK on the 50 mile journey home, the issue would probably not have surfaced during a much shorter test drive. Presumably the car was first registered after 1st June 2010 for it to have the remainder of the Toyota new car warranty (the Toyota five year warranty was introduced 1st June 2010).

As far as I'm aware the gearboxes used for the petrol versions of the Aygo/107/C1 are Toyota - the engine is the same as used in versions of the IQ/Yaris/Daihatsu Sirion, though built by Toyota in Poland.

If you have a problem with the car, contact the dealer and politely explain what the issue is, and explore with the dealer what can be done.

As regards the servicing/MOT. check the oil - does the oil look clean/brown or black.

If the car has been MOT'd, you should have the certificate - have you?

Again if you have issues with the service/MOT, politely raise these with the dealer.