Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More Black Smoke 2.0 D4D

Dizzy_G

Have looked through many posts on black smoke but I want to get opinions anyhow.

Have an 06 facelift 2.0 D4D with around 250,000 on the clock. Has had oil & filters changed every 15k and fuel filter every 50k. Since 70k and a limp home mode incident the EGR is now cleaned every 15k while I wait for the oil to drain (the holes to the inlet manifold are only partially blocked during that time). oil consumption is a small top up between services, don't think this is excessive myself (but could be wrong), same top up as work colleague with same car and 70k on the clock.

The problem is I have black smoke under hard acceleration when warm. The missus has been driving the car for the last year and she gets much better fuel economy from it than I, about 54-55mpg where I was getting 48-51mpg. She drives mostly motorway and will tip along at 120-130k/hr no problem but is not as fond of hard acceleration as which I would have done. up to this there may have been an odd puff but there is a lot more smoke now, i assume running very rich.

Any ideas as to what would be the cause or waht might be worth investigating?

I'm going to check out the MAF as the gasket between the inlet pipe and filter box had worn away and i was getting intake growl. That is fixed a while but I’m wondering if it may have gotten dirty during the time it was leaking. I have an OBD reader, is there anything in this that would tell me if the MAF is not working properly, the car starts and idles fine.

Also going to give it a good Italian tuning to see if i can clear some soot build up.

Would a dose of reddex or similar be any good, it has never gotten any of such additives or are they a load of *******?

Clean the the MAF with some electrical contact spray or buy a tin of CRC off eBay and bang a bottle of BG 244 in the tank. I'd be changing the fuel filter well b4 the mileage you do. My air filter is a K&N so never needs to be changed, just cleaned.🚘

Yes, original engine. i thought it was the 2.2's that had the short engines.

Will look at cleaning the MAF, bit nervous about going at it. How often would fuel filter need to be done? every 30,000km?

The MAF is a very easy job to do! It lives by the air filter box and has two screws holding to the air pipe! It should have Bosch printed on it. Undo the screws (unplug the wire)and withdraw and spray the hell out of it with contact spray and wait to dry. Replace it and go have a beer!👏🍻

Fuel filter is best changed every 2 years or 30K🚙💨

Will look at cleaning the MAF, bit nervous about going at it. How often would fuel filter need to be done? every 30,000km?

No the 2.0 is affected as well, have a look at toyotas warranty bulletin, but yours has certainly done well - 250,000 km = 155,000 miles

Fuel filter is best changed every 2 years or 30K

MAF will be done over the weekend so, have to do the altenator belt too, starting to squeak a little. Will start doing the fuel filter every second service so, thanks for the pointer.

No the 2.0 is affected as well, have a look at toyotas warranty bulletin, but yours has certainly done well - 250,000 km = 155,000 miles

%$(, i'll have to check into the warranty, i doubt if it is cover since it hasn't seen a toyota garage in many a year. Would love to change car but that is a non runner at the moment. Have the problems with the 2L's been sorted on the new shape avensis? Or is it time to move away from toyota for a while

Dumb question, is there a way to find out about the cars warranty online?

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132277-basic-faqs-by-diesel-drivers-read-this/page-3

Read about halfway down - 1AD engine = 2.0 - 2AD=2.2 - goodwill warranty is 7yrs 112,000 (miles). I wouldn't worry too much, they don't all go and it affects some of the very early new shape avensis which must have been built within the affected dates (Sep 09 I think but could be wrong)

I wouldn't move away from Toyota - no other manufacturer IMO would stand by their customers with out of warranty vehicles like Toyota have. No car is completely trouble free.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132277-basic-faqs-by-diesel-drivers-read-this/page-3

Read about halfway down - 1AD engine = 2.0 - 2AD=2.2 - goodwill warranty is 7yrs 112,000 (miles). I wouldn't worry too much, they don't all go and it affects some of the very early new shape avensis which must have been built within the affected dates (Sep 09 I think but could be wrong)

I wouldn't move away from Toyota - no other manufacturer IMO would stand by their customers with out of warranty vehicles like Toyota have. No car is completely trouble free.

Thanks on that blackcts, the good news is the MAF is now clean, there was a thin layer of black dust on the bulb on the intake side, a bit of loctite 7063 cleaned it right off, gave the wires a light spray too from a distance. Out for a spin and a few puffs of black once I had her warmed up and given a few full throttle runs. On the third hard run it was all clear., few more tests and no puffs even, fingers crossed now.

Will move the services to 10,000k from now on just to give things an extra chance, here is to another 250k!

Other than a blocked EGR i have had no other problems with the car, touch wood. Then again EGR's appear to be problems with all cars that have them.

Very true statement on the warranty with Toyota.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132277-basic-faqs-by-diesel-drivers-read-this/page-3Read about halfway down - 1AD engine = 2.0 - 2AD=2.2 - goodwill warranty is 7yrs 112,000 (miles). I wouldn't worry too much, they don't all go and it affects some of the very early new shape avensis which must have been built within the affected dates (Sep 09 I think but could be wrong)I wouldn't move away from Toyota - no other manufacturer IMO would stand by their customers with out of warranty vehicles like Toyota have. No car is completely trouble free.
Thanks on that blackcts, the good news is the MAF is now clean, there was a thin layer of black dust on the bulb on the intake side, a bit of loctite 7063 cleaned it right off, gave the wires a light spray too from a distance. Out for a spin and a few puffs of black once I had her warmed up and given a few full throttle runs. On the third hard run it was all clear., few more tests and no puffs even, fingers crossed now. Will move the services to 10,000k from now on just to give things an extra chance, here is to another 250k!Other than a blocked EGR i have had no other problems with the car, touch wood. Then again EGR's appear to be problems with all cars that have them. Very true statement on the warranty with Toyota.

My advice is to use low saps oil! 0w30 or 5w30 C2! That is paramount!

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132277-basic-faqs-by-diesel-drivers-read-this/page-3Read about halfway down - 1AD engine = 2.0 - 2AD=2.2 - goodwill warranty is 7yrs 112,000 (miles). I wouldn't worry too much, they don't all go and it affects some of the very early new shape avensis which must have been built within the affected dates (Sep 09 I think but could be wrong)I wouldn't move away from Toyota - no other manufacturer IMO would stand by their customers with out of warranty vehicles like Toyota have. No car is completely trouble free.
Thanks on that blackcts, the good news is the MAF is now clean, there was a thin layer of black dust on the bulb on the intake side, a bit of loctite 7063 cleaned it right off, gave the wires a light spray too from a distance. Out for a spin and a few puffs of black once I had her warmed up and given a few full throttle runs. On the third hard run it was all clear., few more tests and no puffs even, fingers crossed now. Will move the services to 10,000k from now on just to give things an extra chance, here is to another 250k!Other than a blocked EGR i have had no other problems with the car, touch wood. Then again EGR's appear to be problems with all cars that have them. Very true statement on the warranty with Toyota.

My advice is to use low saps oil! 0w30 or 5w30 C2! That is paramount!

Will keep it in mind, thanks for the advice blackcts.

After a weekend of driving I'm happy to report no smoke present too.