Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lack Of Power!

gge1976

Hi all,

This is my first time on here, so please bare with me :) Just purchased a second hand rav 4 2005, private sale, within the week started having lack of power issues, and going into limp mode if we exceed 2000 revs, so we have to pull over, turn it off and then turn back on, and it will drive fine, Noticed that is very good on diesel also. It has been put on a diagnostic machine and code is p1250. Does this mean a new turbo????? Please help, worried sick we have bought an unrealiable car :(

Many thanks in advance

← Rav 4 Club

Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum

»

D-4d Error P1250 Turbocharger System Malfu...

Like This

millsy747

14 Jul 2009

Hello All,

i am a new member, so first of all i would just like to say hello to everyone.

We brought a 2001 rav4 d-4d vx 5 door approx 2 months ago and all had been running fine apart from a squeaky fan belt which was replaced about 3 weeks ago, about a week after the fan belt was replaced i was overtaking a lorry and the mil light came on then the rav went into limp mode (dropped to about 10mph) l managed to get it over to the hard shoulder, i turned the ignition off and then on again and the mil light was now off, i put this down to a glitch but the same problem happened a week later this time i thought about what was happening before the mil light came on, i was accelerating above 3500 revs and overtaking, exactly the same as previous.

I managed to get the error code from the rav which was P1250 Turbocharger System Malfunction, these were the only 2 errors that were held in the rav, so i am just wondering if when the garage changed the fan belt they could have knocked something that may have caused the error. I have also read a few posts on the forum that have displayed similar symptoms to the ones i have described but they have had different error codes and to be honest some of the stories i have read about problems with the turbocharger and the amount of money people have spent trying to resolve the problem scares me, so any advice welcomed.

Like This

anchorman

14 Jul 2009

millsy747, on Jul 14 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

Hello All,

i am a new member, so first of all i would just like to say hello to everyone.

We brought a 2001 rav4 d-4d vx 5 door approx 2 months ago and all had been running fine apart from a squeaky fan belt which was replaced about 3 weeks ago, about a week after the fan belt was replaced i was overtaking a lorry and the mil light came on then the rav went into limp mode (dropped to about 10mph) l managed to get it over to the hard shoulder, i turned the ignition off and then on again and the mil light was now off, i put this down to a glitch but the same problem happened a week later this time i thought about what was happening before the mil light came on, i was accelerating above 3500 revs and overtaking, exactly the same as previous.

I managed to get the error code from the rav which was P1250 Turbocharger System Malfunction, these were the only 2 errors that were held in the rav, so i am just wondering if when the garage changed the fan belt they could have knocked something that may have caused the error. I have also read a few posts on the forum that have displayed similar symptoms to the ones i have described but they have had different error codes and to be honest some of the stories i have read about problems with the turbocharger and the amount of money people have spent trying to resolve the problem scares me, so any advice welcomed.

Welcome to the club Millsy.

I have to be up very early in the morn so will come back later tomorrow if somebody else hasn't done so.

Sit tight!

Like This

anchorman

15 Jul 2009

millsy747, on Jul 14 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

I managed to get the error code from the rav which was P1250 Turbocharger System Malfunction, these were the only 2 errors that were held in the rav

Firstly, what do you mean 2 errors?

P1250 is one of those codes that pops up now and again but isn't listed in the standard code lists for the RAV. I think it is telling you that there is an "over boost" condition. In this case you should check all the vacuum hoses in the turbo circuit and then turn your attention to the vsv (vacuum sensing valve) which is located just to the right of the intercooler as you look under the bonnet (between the engine and the air filter).

vsv.pdf 76.53KB 543 downloads

vsv_test.pdf 61.13KB 467 downloads

Have a look at these and let us know how you get on.

Like This

Turps

22 Feb 2011

I had same symptoms and exact same error code. Thinking it was going to be a big job so until I had time to look at the problem I managed to continue driving it around not exceeding 2000 RPM and switching off and restarting when it did happen. (whilst I was doing this I had noticeably better fuel economy)

My mechanic friend who diagnosed it for me told me that the diagnostic report "P1250 Turbocharger System Malfunction" could be anything on the turbo system (including vacuum sensing valve mentioned by anchorman) but my friends best guess was the turbo wastegate was sticking creating overboost. Not wanting to go straight in and take off the turbo, I took off the intercooler to get better access to the turbo. Undid the 2 bolts attaching the wastegate actuator, and worked the linkage to make sure it was free then lubed the moving parts and put it all back together. Sorted all back up and running with no problems in an hour. See the photo of actuator and linkage I have circled the areas I lubed.

If the error reoccurs and depending on how long this quick fix lasts, I will replace the actuator if that doesnt fix it I will take out the turbo and look at the actual wastegate flap.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

Like This

Dantag

19 Apr 2011

'anchorman', on 15 Jul 2009 - 04:55 AM, said:

'millsy747', on Jul 14 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

I managed to get the error code from the rav which was P1250 Turbocharger System Malfunction, these were the only 2 errors that were held in the rav

Firstly, what do you mean 2 errors?

P1250 is one of those codes that pops up now and again but isn't listed in the standard code lists for the RAV. I think it is telling you that there is an "over boost" condition. In this case you should check all the vacuum hoses in the turbo circuit and then turn your attention to the vsv (vacuum sensing valve) which is located just to the right of the intercooler as you look under the bonnet (between the engine and the air filter).

vsv.pdf 76.53KB 543 downloads

vsv_test.pdf 61.13KB 467 downloads

Have a look at these and let us know how you get on.

Hi

I am also experiencing the same fault. I am an experienced hgv tech but not familiar with the turbo/vac system on this car. The vac actuator on the turbo is moving freely and on tick over the arm moves straight to the up position. Should there be a vacuum at all times to the turbo actuator from the vsv?

Any help would be greatly received.

Cheers

Dan

Like This

peso

20 Aug 2013

Hi. I am new to this forum, an this is my first post. Im from Norway, so please forgive my mispelling.

I know that this is an old tread, but im still hoping to get an answer.

I have a massive loss of engine power, an engine fault lamp is on. (2005 mod Raw4 2.0 D4D with short milage.)

Had exactly same sympoms last year, and when the dealer replaced the scv valve, the engine operated fine.

Now the problem is back, and im suspecting the vsv.

I downloaded and tested acording to "test vsv"

when disconnected , It says that air should NOT flow between E and G, i s this correct?

mine have free flow between these ports, and when connected to Battery, it opens from E to the filter.

Help, anyone?

Like This

anchorman

20 Aug 2013

Yes that pdf is wrong. It actually should flow the opposite way. Find a small piece of pipe to bypass it all together and see how it drives.

Oh and welcome to the club.

Like This

peso

22 Aug 2013

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I went to my Toyotadealer yesterday, and the faultcode indicated that it was the SCV valve, again.

There was a one year warranty on the valve, it had 6 days left. :-)

so now it runs ok, and best of all that i didnt have to pay anything, this time.

But im a little concerned now, 2 times in one year, hmmm.

Peso

Share Share

Fast Reply

Full Version