Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello All - Rav4 5Th Gear Loss

chatman

Hi all :driving: :driving: bet you thought I had disappeared...

Well still have RAV and it's going ok.. but as you see from topic heading.. it's now popped it's 5th gear.. drives ok with the 4 I have (recently did a 3 day mountain bike trip to AFAN in wales 500+ miles) so fuel consumption is a bit rubbish.

So Kingo what do you need from me as I will need the parts.. and then I'll print of the detail thread Anchorman etc did and give to my local garage I use... Already pre-warned them :D

So in other news... MTB still going well... i wont bore you with those details.. and another thing.. wifey has set her heart (well makes life easier for me) on getting a horse trailer for the daughters horses... so will be looking at getting a descent tow vehicle.. I also want a bigger 4x4 to use for MTB away trips and other bits..

so been looking at Ford Rangers (also see these have the 5th gear issue on some models :ermm: and Mitsubishi L200 (Animal or Warrior)

Sorry don’t want another RAV... Love mine but want a bigger boot and better towing capacity and off road duties...

So feel free to add comments within reason and offer me alternatives...

Oh and I’ll be px the wife’s French fancy 206 cc........... :flowers: :flowers: (it's utter rubbish in winter.. place an ice cube behind front wheels and it surrenders :baby: :baby: )

• Like 1

Hi all :driving: :driving: bet you thought I had disappeared...

Well still have RAV and it's going ok.. but as you see from topic heading.. it's now popped it's 5th gear.. drives ok with the 4 I have (recently did a 3 day mountain bike trip to AFAN in wales 500+ miles) so fuel consumption is a bit rubbish.

So Kingo what do you need from me as I will need the parts.. and then I'll print of the detail thread Anchorman etc did and give to my local garage I use... Already pre-warned them :D

So in other news... MTB still going well... i wont bore you with those details.. and another thing.. wifey has set her heart (well makes life easier for me) on getting a horse trailer for the daughters horses... so will be looking at getting a descent tow vehicle.. I also want a bigger 4x4 to use for MTB away trips and other bits..

so been looking at Ford Rangers (also see these have the 5th gear issue on some models :ermm: and Mitsubishi L200 (Animal or Warrior)

Sorry don’t want another RAV... Love mine but want a bigger boot and better towing capacity and off road duties...

So feel free to add comments within reason and offer me alternatives...

Oh and I’ll be px the wife’s French fancy 206 cc........... :flowers: :flowers: (it's utter rubbish in winter.. place an ice cube behind front wheels and it surrenders :baby: :baby: )

The new Ranger seems to be getting some really good reviews in the 4x4 press but I must admit that I think the L200 is a classy looking pick-up.

Having said that the Ford F-150 & Toyota Tundra are still top of my wish list.... :cowboy:

Sadly NEW will not be top of my list either... If it was I would be getting a Ford Raptor Shelby :driving::driving:

Like the look of the Classic shape L200 as opposed to the newer curved body shape...

Sadly NEW will not be top of my list either... If it was I would be getting a Ford Raptor Shelby :driving::driving:

Like the look of the Classic shape L200 as opposed to the newer curved body shape...

Ditto, If I was to choose then the original L200 would get my vote aesthetically but the new shape does have the advantage of more up-to-date dynamics; they also do very well in comparison tests.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this topic back up... I've pm'd parts-king but not heard anything back yet...

Any how May call local stealer and see what they charge or know how too.. as my local mechanic has not done something like this... had to explaine that you don't need to remove whole gearbox to fix this....

Nummer 2 RAV is in the garage getting some work done and a service.....and its 4th gearbox fitted. That car has had a few odd things happen to gearboxes, but the 3rd box got the dreadd 5th gear dropout so I bought another secondhand gearbox. That cost me about £230 compared to £400 for the parts for the box - then + labour.

The chaps at the garage I use have said I should buy a secondhand RAV4 as they are selling for less than £500 now; just to keep for spares!

If you spend a little more money for the new parts, at least you will know the history of the box.

On nummer2:

1. 1st box had its speedo ring detach from inside the guts making the speedo readings wrong.
  2. 2nd box lost 3rd, 4th and 5th gear from what must have been a more catastrophic thing
  3. 3rd box lost 5th gear - ie popping out - but as ran well in 4th and just as fast
  4. 4th box now installed and I'm told working well. Just waiting for a rocker cover gasket to appear from the Parts and then it'll be back with me.

Dennis at wur garage is fantastic at changing clutches and gearboxes for me - does it with his eyes shut now! haha

Bit too far for me to go up north Bothy... and only 4 gears all the way... would be cheaper to fly up and pay someone else to tow the Rav upto your garage :disgust: :disgust:

Oi Gust.....I heard that :D:

Back on duty once again :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Picked up nummer 2 and running well, and now no oil leaks and has all 5 gears. Nummer wan is waiting patiently in front of my garage til I clear debris/rubbish and then its in for a bit of hibernation or until the roads dry out a bit - and need to get some photos of the inside now I had the car valeted ( ehh? nae carpets, plastic so full valet £20). The black tyre wall shine looks nice and only weighed in at an extra 3 g.

Jamie - did you get the price of the parts needed ? Demand more of a discount from PK for being aff ill !!

Jamsey can't afford his 5th gear now............his shed roof blew aff :lol: (That's not a euphamism for something else :naughty: ) He was hoping some of our Scotlandshire visitors who seem to collect RAV's might "permanantly loan" a 5th gear :D: :D:

HAHAHAHA it was one of the servants houses that the roof was made holey.... :euro::euro: not the proper Man Shed was damaged so all ok..

Mrs Chatters will need a new washing line now though as it died in valour trying to support a massive falling tree branch... and Failed :death:

IMG_1682_zpsfae75886.jpg

IMG_1662_zps397f3901.jpg