Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Overheating Rav4 Diesel Vxd4D

Shell40

Hello all, I'm new to the club. Owned my Rav4 for 3 years now. It is a 52 plate. Just had its annual service. Ever since this the temperature rises quite high, almost up to the red. This only happens when I'm accelerating, not when cruising or when sitting with the engine running.

Seems to help the temp drop if I put the heating on full. Prior to this problem I've not had any issues with the temperature before.

I've had a look under the bonnet.... Other than looking at the engine coolant level which is half an inch above the low level in the tank, I've not a clue what I should be looking for. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Shell

Water should not be that low, Michelle, so sumfink amiss. Top it up properly, but first report.......when ticking over and/or just after switching off, is there any bubbling in the water expansion tank? That can point to cylinder head gasket probs., and sure cause of water loss. Or, hopefully not, water pump has chucked it. Or just water level in radiator too low to cool.........? Other things too, but start with some basics.

Welcome to the Club.

petrol or diesel ???

In the title big Buddy.....you been on the vodka again.....?

be focused on possible reasons:

- head gasket issue;

- thermostatic valve issue;

- expansion tank lid rubber gasket issue;

- cooling pump mechanical seal issue;

- air in the cooling circle;

regards/Igor

Thank you for your responses so far. So, I've just bought it to my father. He seems to think that during the full service, they may have caused an air lock in the system. The radiator is very cold & the engine is red hot.

The radiator fan has not come on once since the engine has been overheating. My dad seems to think it might be because the radiator is staying cool so the fan isn't kicking in. The temperature gauge reaches red within 5 minutes of driving the car so he thinks its because the water isn't going into the engine to cool it. Does this sound like it could be the issue?

Thank you for your responses so far. So, I've just bought it to my father. He seems to think that during the full service, they may have caused an air lock in the system. The radiator is very cold & the engine is red hot.

The radiator fan has not come on once since the engine has been overheating. My dad seems to think it might be because the radiator is staying cool so the fan isn't kicking in. The temperature gauge reaches red within 5 minutes of driving the car so he thinks its because the water isn't going into the engine to cool it. Does this sound like it could be the issue

check with an air blockade in cooling circuit first and be sure it has sufficient collant in

Engine heats the water......thermostat should open to allow watter through to radiator to cool it, so sounds like thermostat jammed shut, which is not normal, as I think they are meant to default to OPEN.......if engine coolant or antifreeze servicing was done as part of the service, deffo suspect air lock caused by garage.

Thanks for all your responses. I will be returning to the garage that did the service tomorrow morning. Will post the outcome.

Thanks again.

Shell

All of the above,plus could be worth checking your radiator cooling fans are working.

IIRC with the A/C button ON the fans should be going round, don't check this wearing a tie;-)

• Like 1

petrol or diesel ???

In the title big Buddy.....you been on the vodka again.....?

:clap:

Does anyone know where the bleed valve is on the Toyota rav4?

From memory there isnt one, it is just a case of taking the radiator cap off. What was done in the service, you would only have issues linked to the service if they touched the waterpump or coolant/

Alex

If, after bleeding air from the system, the engine is still getting hot, but radiator isn't, then you should first of all replace the thermostat. Cheap and easy to do, and essential to diagnosing anything more serious.

Chris