Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water In Footwells

bradburyss

Ok i have a kind of same problem. There is water on the floor, only when I drive with aircon on. Gone to reseller but nothing he could find

After placing many pieces of papers on the floor I realised that the water seems to come below the accelerator, where the line of glue is. Any proposals?post-129657-0-95572600-1409250590_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had exactly the same problem with my 2009 IQ3 and it seems to be related to the air-con. Has anyone found a fix yet?

Basically, I got into the car one day and there was a bad smell that can only be described as 'damp dog' (I don't own a dog by the way!). Lifted the mats and found that the carpet in both front footwells was sopping wet. Lifted the carpets and removed foam underlay etc. to find a couple of mm of clean odourless water in each footwell.

It took a few days mopping up and leaving the car with the door open to dry it all out. I also:

- Removed and cleaned the pollen filter as mentioned earlier in this thread. There were quite a few leaves stuck in it.

- Popped the car up on ramps. No obvious damage to the underside and I had a good poke around in the air-con drain with a bit of stiff wire. No obvious blockages there either.

After everything was dry I ran the car for a week with the air-con and fans off. No water re-appeared, under the carpets was bone dry.

I then put the air-con back on and used it normally. Next day there was a small puddle of warm water in the drivers footwell at the end of a 30 minute journey.

Dried everything out again and I've now used the car for an additional two weeks with the air-con off and no re-occurance of the issue. Even though it's both rained and I've washed the car giving it a good soaking at all angles with the hose.

Any one have any thoughts on further fixes to try?

James

well good news i've found out where our cars are leaking from and its a very quick fix , after looking at it and following all the suggestions from the previous replies you are all wrong ( not the pollen filter ), the water from the drain hose on the engine bay is designed wrong and is to short and has a chamfer that does not disperse the water away from the body enough. look on the bulk head from the Battery side and you will see a white tube sticking out 3/4 of the way down ( to get to this jack the car up and go in from the front of the car), the water is running out of the pipe and back in to the body ( as my insulator was completely sodden at the bottom of the pipe and not the top ), the fix solution is to put a small amount of rubber pipe on the hose so that it drains away from the body more and lower. the reason you get it more when your driving is that the wind from under the car is blowing it back in to the body causing it to got back in to the car, that's why you will not find the leak with it sat on the drive and the a/c on !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Alan.

I haven't noticed any dampness in my car yet but will certainly check that pipe and extend it very soon to prevent the problem. :)

Craig.

Had a damp smell a few days ago and thought "oh no" me too

Well done Alan for all the donkey work you put in.

David

Hi there,

Last week i noticed water in drivers footwell, 2009 Toyota IQ2. Damp appears to come down side from direction of air-con/ heater central unit.

No drop in expansion tank water level but the under carpet padding was damp again despite drying our the footwell entirely with a hairdryer the previous day! It has not rained since drying out footwell. I have put a 2 inch piece of hose over the air con drain hose, sure enough the bottom part of the soft rubber seal was soaking wet but the damp footwell problem has continued continue despite the hose extension. Any ideas?

Did you put the hose on far enough? Have you look at your pollen filter for it might need changing? And some times there are cavities between the panels thats trap water and it could be old water draining out.

Oh and is the bottom of the seal wet again after puting the hose on ?

Afraid so B B Al. Put the hose as described by yourseld on the white air con tube in the bulkhead 2 days ago when the footwell was bone dry after hair drying it. The lower soft rubber seal was certainly sodden.

Checked footwell again today and the under felt just below and to the right of central housing, just above the clutch pedal, is again damp though not sodden. No rain for 2 days, car was in garage and conditions were dry when driven yesterday and today.

No leak from coolant system. Could leak becoming from behind the white discharge tube?, ie within the car. I have not removed the air con or heater plastic cover to try and identify the leek source. I do not know if that would be an easy task. I have stuffed the area with "Plenty" sheets and will keep an eye on it. Air con has been running and appears ok.

Thanks again,

Brian

If its just damp dry it out again it sound like trapped water, the dash insulator acts like a massive sponge when its wet i ripped out my floor insulator and dried it out in the house and put a old tshirt in its olace for a day or two with carpet back down to make sure any trapped wet was soaked up.

Will keep and eye on it with the Plenty paper sheets in situ.

I will let you know if problem persists.

If the tube was leaking from the back of the heater unit you would really know about, just make sure it is well and truly dry as paranoia will set in, and use some old towels or rags.

Please could somebody take a photo which shows the pipe I'm looking for..? I'm pretty useless with mechanical stuff and afraid I'll fiddle with the wrong bit

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ keyless entry ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

Have now run the car in mainly dry conditions with ac on. Carpets removed and a copy of Daily Mail as mat in drivers footwell.

5 days hence the DM is damp underneath as well as the remaining upper felt at its bottom edge just below and behind the clutch pedal.

Extended pipe on ac in situ. The amount of dampness equates to a trickle over days rather than a full flood. It was bone dry last week.

I can cope with it but will have to drive with a newspaper instead of carpets on floor!

Any ideas?

How does water escaping from the short A/C drain end up in the car? Is the bottom not sealed? What stops rain and puddle spray from entering the underneath of the vehicle or am i missing something?

David

No its not sealed and the up draft from the car moving causes it the blow back towards the car (a bit like a capillary action) and run down the body which is where it is getting in, rain and water off the road will not get im as there is to much in the way for it to get that far, air / wind travels where.

Ok Al. Not been under the car or sought out the pipe. Strange how its effecting some people and not others. I have my A/C on all the time although i have smelt a musty smell over night now and then but not investigated it because it usually has gone within 30mims. But will look later

David

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running with the 'extension tube on the drain pipe' fix and the aircon on for a couple of weeks now and the footwells are still completely dry. I'm about to re-install all of my carpets and underlay etc.

Basically I got a 100mm off cut of 12mm clear plastic pond tubing. Heated it up in some boiling water to make it nice and plyable. Then forced it over the end of the drain pipe. It's a nice tight fit and isn't going to go anywhere, no extra cabe ties of clips required.

Thanks for the help,

James

• Like 1

Dear Steve,

I was wondering if you found what the problem was, I have the same problem water in the car can't figure it out where its coming from. I bought the car 2, 3 weeks ago from a private seller on my car the aircon its excluded because I have discovered yesterday this has been removed by the previous owners and I can see the pipes have been cut and sealed.

Dear Steve,

I was wondering if you found what the problem was, I have the same problem water in the car can't figure it out where its coming from. I bought the car 2, 3 weeks ago from a private seller on my car the aircon its excluded because I have discovered yesterday this has been removed by the previous owners and I can see the pipes have been cut and sealed.

Oh dear hate to be the barer of bad news but it really does sound like your IQ has been in the wars, you have to ask your self why would the AC have been cut out? If it was just faulty why waste time cutting it out? It sounds like there has been some accident damage and the car has been repaired on the cheap off the books ( i.e insurance not informed ) and the damaged parts that would clearly indicate an accident have been crudely cut off to hide the accident damage, this poor quality of repair may also be the cause of your water ingress issues.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links