Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taillight Condensation :(

jppmendes

I noticed that the left taillight had a bit of condensation inside :bag:

Anyone have DIY info, removal clean tape materials ?

qzs3.jpg

Sorry can't help with that, but that is a cool picture you have for your Avatar :)

• Like 1

Not much help to you but some days my daughters iq suffers the same thing . Tends to clear on its own.

• Like 1

Mine does that too, It clears very quickly once the car is used so haven't worried about it.

You can remove the bulb cluster from inside the boot, it's under a cover in the trim and the assembly clips out. Leaving that out for a short while will allow any moisture to evaporate out.

Taking the light fitting off the car involves removing the bumper, not a 5 minute job!

Craig.

• Like 1

Mine is the same it clears up when I use my IQ

Take the bulbs out and use a hair dryer or heat gun on low heat and dry it out then re-fit the bulbs. Make sure the tabs on the bulb mounts are tight. If not, wrap the base in ptfe tape to get a nice tight fit. Did mine works a treat P.S. wrap the ptfe in the same direction you turn the holder to lock it

David

Take the bulbs out and use a hair dryer or heat gun on low heat and dry it out then re-fit the bulbs. Make sure the tabs on the bulb mounts are tight. If not, wrap the base in ptfe tape to get a nice tight fit. Did mine works a treat P.S. wrap the ptfe in the same direction you turn the holder to lock it

David

Good idea David ! However better design by Toyota is needed in this area, as you know I have owned many different cars for many years and never had a condensation problem in this area. My last car (before the IQ) A volvo S80, when a rear bulb blew after about 5+ years of constant use so I wrote to volvo and complained ! (I was expecting 10 years at least from all my bulbs) Volvo then posted my a new bulb at no charge ! I guess it's all just about setting standards !

Pretty decent of Volvo - assuming it's an ordinary filament bulb then you're always going to get some which die sooner than you'd expect (and equally you'll get some that go on for what seems like forever). Still, obviously worth it, since the bulb wouldn't have cost them much and it got a happy customer for them (which is obviously very valuable)!

Is complaining and moaning a hobby Bob, You seem very good at it!

If I do start moaning I will let you know Craig.

Pretty decent of Volvo - assuming it's an ordinary filament bulb then you're always going to get some which die sooner than you'd expect (and equally you'll get some that go on for what seems like forever). Still, obviously worth it, since the bulb wouldn't have cost them much and it got a happy customer for them (which is obviously very valuable)!

I agree with you, however we often get used to less than 100% service and reliability from many suppliers, its only through setting high standards that makes suppliers improve. I also did not expect to get a free bulb from Volvo so was suprised when I did, that little gesture that Volvo made was enough for me to then consider another Volvo purchase. It's the little things that often count ! As it happens After the Volvo bulb experience I went to South Africa to work for a few years, and kept my UK Volvo in mothballs so to speak, I bought another S80 Volvo in SA and had quite a few problems with it. As it was under warranty it was just incovienient at the time.

David

Good idea David ! However better design by Toyota is needed in this area, as you know I have owned many different cars for many years and never had a condensation problem in this area. My last car (before the IQ) A volvo S80, when a rear bulb blew after about 5+ years of constant use so I wrote to volvo and complained ! (I was expecting 10 years at least from all my bulbs) Volvo then posted my a new bulb at no charge ! I guess it's all just about setting standards !

I don't really see how you can expect a car bulb (any Bulb) to last ten years. I think that is asking a bit too much. Plus I don't see how you can hold the car manufacturer responsible, they don't make the bulbs?

• Like 1

David

I don't really see how you can expect a car bulb (any Bulb) to last ten years. I think that is asking a bit too much. Plus I don't see how you can hold the car manufacturer responsible, they don't make the bulbs?

Over the last 40+ years of motoring I have had more bulbs that have lasted 10 years + than bulbs that have failed before 10 years, so it is quite possible, and as technology improves I expect manufacturers to improve reliability rather than the opposite (which is often the case to force us to buy new more often) Regarding Volvo giving me a new bulb you are right they don't make the bulbs however I am hoping they choose bulb manufacturers that have the best / longest reliability record. One of my Motto's is "the standard we set is the standard we get" so I do set high standards. Please accept my apologies for being that way.

Actually the bulbs efficiency drops after a short time of use to a new lower level for a longer time.due to Tungsten decay . If when new its rating was that of the design spec set for that car, one could say the new lower output may well,if accurately measured, be illegal and not to spec. In reality we may all be driving around with illegal lights with ref to the law,

David

Same here. It seems to only happen on cold morning when the sun hits the back of the car and starts to warm the light so that one area is warmer than the rest. It seems to clear quite quickly by itself.

I've posted before ( with picture)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/141138-misted-lens/?p=1239492

Actually the bulbs efficiency drops after a short time of use to a new lower level for a longer time.due to Tungsten decay . If when new its rating was that of the design spec set for that car, one could say the new lower output may well,if accurately measured, be illegal and not to spec. In reality we may all be driving around with illegal lights with ref to the law,

David

You are right David I had a complaint during the course of a MOT a few years ago when the yellow bulb paint had flaked so it was showing slightly less yellow !

• 3 weeks later...

I got condensation this morning :(

Regarding the bulbs, I shall be considering LED where feasible. But I'm with Bob on the longevity....and then we move into a whole new ball game re consumerism which I'll leave for another life.