Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeeky Belt

rambler

Hi all

Just a quicky......

Had my Rav4 timing belt renewed recently,no problems there.,but since this was replaced.....

And in this ' damp ' weather my belts / belt now squeek first thing, and only on morning starts.

They or it squeeks for about the first 2 - 3 miles then it stops.

Can i just squirt some WD40 on them,or do they need adjustment properly.

If WD40 does the job ?.....do i do this with engine running or off ?..hot or cold please.

Of work all this week..useing some of my holiday....so need to get all those little jobs done.

Cheers for any advice as usual.

Hi Jamie,

If it is your timing belt that's squeaking I would have thought that it would be best to take the car back to the garage that fitted it and get them to sort it out. In my experience a timing belt should operate relatively silently if it is fitted correctly; squeaking would seem to suggest a problem.

A squeaky fan or serpentine belt usually indicates a tensioning problem and that can be confirmed by spraying or dripping plain water on the belt concerned. I personally wouldn't spray a lubricant like WD40 on a belt as it would defeat the purpose of the friction drive principle of the belt. Water will evaporate away quickly without causing damage.

I have always been told that Brake Fluid instead of WD40 on belts as it helps with the friction.

I have always been told that Brake Fluid instead of WD40 on belts as it helps with the friction.

Never heard that one, Jon, and therefore can't comment on whether it works or not. I would suggest that you'd need to take care that the fluid doesn't get flung off the belt onto any surrounding paintwork (wings, grille panel, scuttle, etc) as it is of course a wonderful paint stripper!

Jamie, just spray with a little water - it is a natural lubricant for rubber. Don't use any kind of oil or solvent. Personally I would take it back to the fitter and get them to check it.

I was taught on here that WD40 would actually rot the belt material. As for brake fluid........? NAW.....NAW.......NAW.

• Like 1

Jamie, just spray with a little water - it is a natural lubricant for rubber. Don't use any kind of oil or solvent. Personally I would take it back to the fitter and get them to check it.

Yes,perhaps its best that i take it back to colchester Toyota who changed the belt for me.....let them sort it out.

I just thought a quick fix may be easier....but best be safe.

Cheers David.

How about using rocol belt dressing? It's commonly used in industry to give belts a little extra grip. All sorts of stuff available on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=belt+spray&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3170866226&ref=pd_sl_9jizl5r8dy_b

You can dribble a little bit of water on the belt while it is idling just to test it. It should stop instantly and then fairly quickly come back as it dries. Once you have established it is the serpentine belt and you know it was changed when due, you can.............

........ignore it.

• Like 1

The squeaking/screeching from the serpentine belt shortly after starting is usually due to the extra load put on it by the alternator needing to produce a high output. This backs off after you've driven for a few minutes. Similar noise also when steering is on full lock, or air-con compressor cuts in. Alt+steering+AC a pretty good recipe for squeal.

Be careful with "belt conditioners". Many are solvent-adhesive based, and designed to de-polish the belt, and leave it with a grippy/sticky coating. Some of these products warn that they should not be used on FLAT belts, only on chunky V-belts. Many rubber-conditioners soften and weaken the material they are treating.

I've also heard that a puff of talcum powder (perfume optional) can help with squeal. Mascara also optional...

Chris

My belts on the RAV squeal a bit when the weather turns colder.. also the other belts get a bit tight but thats down to the wrong type of diet :D :D

It'll be fine Jamie.... any how your RAV is still only a baby one.. and a few doors missing as well ;) ;)

My belts on the RAV squeal a bit when the weather turns colder.. also the other belts get a bit tight but thats down to the wrong type of diet :D :D

It'll be fine Jamie.... any how your RAV is still only a baby one.. and a few doors missing as well ;) ;)

Hi Jamie

TBH,the squeeky belts are the only thing wrong with it really.It still drives nice,although had new turbo & starter motor in may,mines on 125'000 now,that i CANT believe.But i hate squeely belts.

As for your's on 184'000,now thats rude ;)

I have customer at work who has a Hiace van 51reg,pristine cab,and almost pristine bodywork at 201'000,still going strong.

Anyway glad your over sized Rav is still going well,and you need to get on that MTB of yours,make those other belts fit better :D :D

The squeaking/screeching from the serpentine belt shortly after starting is usually due to the extra load put on it by the alternator needing to produce a high output. This backs off after you've driven for a few minutes. Similar noise also when steering is on full lock, or air-con compressor cuts in. Alt+steering+AC a pretty good recipe for squeal.

Be careful with "belt conditioners". Many are solvent-adhesive based, and designed to de-polish the belt, and leave it with a grippy/sticky coating. Some of these products warn that they should not be used on FLAT belts, only on chunky V-belts. Many rubber-conditioners soften and weaken the material they are treating.

I've also heard that a puff of talcum powder (perfume optional) can help with squeal. Mascara also optional...

Chris

The only time I have found talc/french chalk to be beneficial was when the belt was part of a clutch arrangement,usually on things like cultivators like the Merry Tiller as this enables the belt to slip when the lever is released to disengage the drive from the engine.

These of course were not like the usual type of belt, ie rubber coated,but had a canvas type of finish.

No help on a RAV but thought I had better add this line to keep it RAV revelent

Del