Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration at 2000rpm - again and again

ghsaunders40

Hi. Finally got out Auris sorted, now the iQ we have is slowly driving me insane. Since May time we have had very strong vibrations under load initially in 1st and second gear. Local dealer in Stoke said it was the egr and inlet manifold issue, so promptly replaced them under warranty. I was not so convinced that this was the problem and surprise it wasn't. The dealer then had the car for nearly 3 weeks and could not fault it. They agree that there is something wrong but apparently they all do this to some extent. I've drives three iQ and have yet to get each one to do it. Symptoms are heavy vibration under any load up to 2200 rpm they just trips. It shakes the whole car and is loud! Toyota customer relations told us to take it to an authorised repairer in stoke for a second opinion. They again agree that there is a problem, but have no idea what it is. The car is getting slowly worse. I've booked it in at another dealer in Macclesfield so they can have a look. Has anyone seen or experienced anything like this?

Thanks.

What kind of vibration? Like, engine vibration? Or unbalanced-wheel vibration?

Is it just the steering wheel or the whole car, or do you not feel it that bad but it is very loud?

Without more info, hard to diagnose, as many things could cause 'vibration', e.g.:
Unbalanced wheel(s)
Dodgy engine mounts
Misaligned/faulty Clutch/Flywheel/spring
Faulty Balancing shaft
Misfire

It's seems to come through the whole car, almost like it is rising through the car as the revs pick up. It causes the mirrors to shake and steering wheel. Car will only shake under load I.e. Won't vibrate when revving out of gear. The dealer told me that they fitted new engine and gearbox mounts at the request of Toyota technical. Car has always run on Shell v power, mpg does not seem to be an issue cat accelerates ok and holds speed ok. I have noticed a whine in 1st gear when accelerating and in 2nd when dropping from 3rd. Dealer tells me this is a characteristic of the car. I asked them both about balancer shafts etc and they said they are not at fault. Also, forgot to mention the car is a 2010 iQ 1.0 manual, 20k on the clock, full dealer history and warranty extended through Toyota head office.

Thanks

Is there a noticeable drop in power when the shakes start?

If there is, then if one spark plug was breaking down, ie not firing effectively under load leaving the engine running on two plugs then that would cause a very strong vibration.

The garage would have changed the plugs as part of the diagnosis, I would have thought, but perhaps not.

John

Thanks for your reply. No noticeable drop in power, however it is quite low in the rev range. Once the vibration stops ( circa 2200 rpm) the car picks up quickly. I will change them regardless and see if it helps.

Might be worth investigating the clutch if it only does it when gears are engaged.

Hello,

I have the same vibrations in the car after the egr was changed.

It has nothing to do with wheels but it is the engine.

The vibration is between 1900 and 2000 rpm in every gear.

Sometimes passengers complain about it.

It is now more than a year in the car.

I complained at the Toyota dealer but they said to me it is normal.

I don't know what it is.

Peter,

Holland

2 things spring to mind.

One... renew the sparkplugs... never a bad option..

Two... I had once that my tires and rimms were refitted and the car shaked like hell.. turned out that the rimm was from another car and thus had rings to fill the gap between the iQ axel and the intern rimmsize....

One of the rings was fallen out of the rimm when it was refitted during the summer / winter tyre change.

My EGR thing is changed (car is 100% better/quicker and lower on gas)... but the little inbalance during the 2000 rpm is exactly the same... not really bad.. but you hear an inbalance in the sound when it reaches 2000 rpm... This is with a CVT...so it goes through this 2000 a lot of times... At the garage they said it was the exhaust that was touching metal ... strangely enough there is no .. no blank metal where it is supposed to touch the metal..

So I think the engine and exhaust has an inbalance in itself at 2000 herz...

Hi. Finally got out Auris sorted, now the iQ we have is slowly driving me insane. Since May time we have had very strong vibrations under load initially in 1st and second gear. Local dealer in Stoke said it was the egr and inlet manifold issue, so promptly replaced them under warranty. I was not so convinced that this was the problem and surprise it wasn't. The dealer then had the car for nearly 3 weeks and could not fault it. They agree that there is something wrong but apparently they all do this to some extent. I've drives three iQ and have yet to get each one to do it. Symptoms are heavy vibration under any load up to 2200 rpm they just trips. It shakes the whole car and is loud! Toyota customer relations told us to take it to an authorised repairer in stoke for a second opinion. They again agree that there is a problem, but have no idea what it is. The car is getting slowly worse. I've booked it in at another dealer in Macclesfield so they can have a look. Has anyone seen or experienced anything like this?

Thanks.

What was the "root cause" of this in the end ?

If your still having trouble with your IQ can i suggest perhaps a new air filter depending on how many miles your car has? as mine with 20,000 miles on the clock had similar symptoms but its a newer engine that doesn't need a EGR fix so i thought id check the air filter first and it was filthy and full of dirt and this is on a car that's Toyota used approved and when i queried why it hadn't been replaced at its last service i was told it is an item that only gets changed every 40000 miles or 4 years which imho is bonkers. I use to change the air filter every time i changed the oil in my previous Mazda and it did 120000 miles and was still going strong when i sold it considering it was only a 1.3 petrol. It Cost me £10 for a new filter and took 2 mins to fit and i can notice it idles alot smoother than it did before and its made the engine smoother throughout the rev range although i cant guarantee it will work for you.

I agree that under "most circumstances" an air filter change after 40,000 miles is far too long.

If this is standard Toyota IQ service interval ? then I had better check mine ! as mine was serviced by Toyota as an approved car before it had reached 40,000 miles.

Yeah i was told this was standard when i queried it as far as i can tell the £120 intermediate service is simply an oil change and they just look over the car visually to see if anything is broke and that's it my car came with a copy of its service schedule so i can see what they do for a intermediate and full service and lets just say £279 for a full service seems quite expensive really. For such a simple car there isn't much to service other than standard things like oil coolant and grease on moving parts. I am tempted to service it myself and save a fortune but i think owner maintenance invalidates the warranty but i could be wrong.

i think owner maintenance invalidates the warranty but i could be wrong.

That is correct unfortunately, but a non Toyota garage can be used as long as it is VAT registered and genuine Toyota parts are used, such as oil filters etc.

John

I have changed the air-filter in September.... looked necessary to me...

This was at 44.000 kilometers (=equals: 27.500 miles)...

Easy to do.. official filter was exactly € 28,21 ... Guess a copy could be cheaper... here: http://www.beslist.nl/products/r/Autofilters+toyota+iq/ for € 21,63 Euro...

This is how it look... old and new... Black is the old part ... :yawn: LOL...

Here:

DSC_3870_zps0d6510d8.jpg

DSC_3868_zpsda363ccf.jpg

Had my daughters serviced at main dealer recently, it was a intermediate service and they didn't change the air filter which was well black and dirty, was surprised they didn't check it and ask whether I required it changing. Ordered non genuine one and fitted myself @ £8. Thought it would be on the check list at least to look at it.

• Like 1

Because of the comments in the above thread about air filter change only every 40,000 Miles I took a look at mine today and it was very clean !

My IQ was serviced about 4000 miles ago, before I took ownership of it as an approved Toyota, they (Toyota) may have changed the air filter anyway as it had only done less than 34,000 miles when it was serviced and I took ownership.

Or perhaps they checked it during the service and found it needed changing ?

Or perhaps the previous owner changed it before I took ownership ?

Or perhaps not all Toyota dealers are the same ?

Who knows !

• Like 1

Peter, are you a Vulcan by any chance?

A Vulcan...?...wtf?

Sorry... no comprendo...non sprechen languagho... excusé moi... :-)

OR... you mean the shoes? Ha ha .. that was a very very warm day... and I have these garden-sandals... but when I work around the house I have Nikes with steal toes... Twice I had something very heavy on my unguarded big toe / left and right.. And in my bigger working shoes I use with the chainsaw....there is a slice missing due to the chain hitting the front...you can see the metal... :-)

Right toe was ten years ago... a metal stone-splitter fell 40 centimeters down on the toe...squash... and still bothers..

SO... I try when working with machinery (garden, house, etc.) to put on working shoes with steel toe and nail-proof soul...

That is correct unfortunately, but a non Toyota garage can be used as long as it is VAT registered and genuine Toyota parts are used, such as oil filters etc.

John

The EU Block Exemption regulations allow for a non-Toyota garage to carry out servicing on one's car without invalidating the new car warranty (for Toyota 5 years/100,000 miles in the UK, 3 years/100,000km in the rest of Europe).

However these regulations only apply to the new car warranty period.

For example, in the UK, if one has a Toyota Extended Warranty the terms and conditions of this warranty stipulate that servicing must be carried out by a Toyota dealer.

John

The EU Block Exemption regulations allow for a non-Toyota garage to carry out servicing on one's car without invalidating the new car warranty (for Toyota 5 years/100,000 miles in the UK, 3 years/100,000km in the rest of Europe).

However these regulations only apply to the new car warranty period.

For example, in the UK, if one has a Toyota Extended Warranty the terms and conditions of this warranty stipulate that servicing must be carried out by a Toyota dealer.

Very interesting, that is something I didn't know.

John

A Vulcan...?...wtf?

Sorry... no comprendo...non sprechen languagho... excusé moi... :-)

OR... you mean the shoes? Ha ha .. that was a very very warm day... and I have these garden-sandals... but when I work around the house I have Nikes with steal toes... Twice I had something very heavy on my unguarded big toe / left and right.. And in my bigger working shoes I use with the chainsaw....there is a slice missing due to the chain hitting the front...you can see the metal... :-)

Right toe was ten years ago... a metal stone-splitter fell 40 centimeters down on the toe...squash... and still bothers..

SO... I try when working with machinery (garden, house, etc.) to put on working shoes with steel toe and nail-proof soul...

It was just that your toes look like they are doing the 'V' "Live long and prosper" sign :)

• Like 1

Ha ha Soely..

YEP...That is indeed my case... when i stand on my feet en "grab" the floor with it.... the toes do form this shape...

Now I understand ..... your Vulcan sighn... :-D LOL...

hi m8,I have the same prob with mine (2010 1.0 iq) a really
bad vibration at around 2000 RPM & its driving me mad,mine seems to be
coming from the N/S floor area around the engine ,cars going in today (15/11/13)
to the dealers under warranty for the third time for no power/hesitant pulling away from junction issues :( , so hopefully might get this sorted as well

…(but I won’t hold my breath) will let you know how I get on

Cheers toby.

• Like 1

Toby,

Are you aware of the quite extensive discussion that has been going on for some time about the hesitation and lack of power issues with the earlier IQs?

If you look back in the forum there is a lot of info about it and steps taken to fix it.

It is a known fault and there is a fix as long as the dealer does his job properly.

If your IQ is out of warranty I am not sure if will be fixed for nothing but it is a safety matter, and really should be.

John

Regarding the two above posts by Toby & John,

Before my EGR and associated parts were replaced under warranty I had noticed a vibration around 2000 RPM under the passenger seat, it came and went as RPM increased.

After EGR was done, it was gone and has not returned ever since.

My IQ runs smother and has more power in general and no hesitation when "starting off" even at very low RPM IE- just over tick over RPM when clutch is let out on level ground.

Perhaps the EGR issue and vibration at 2000 RPM are linked ?

Just a thought !

Positive Regards, Bob