Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Practice For Jacking Rav 4.

crustyclam

Ok so I have read a few posts regarding jacking the 4.3 model.

From these I have now seen that the jacking points for this model are located on the side steps now, and also a front and rear position are available for lifting both sets of wheels.

I would like to use a trolley jack and have read it can cause damage, and to get round this to use a hockey puck. Will this work with side steps fitted?

If I want to use axel stands, where should these go. From memory the suspension area looked like it had a lot of flat metal, and in fact when I had my winter tyres fitted last year the mechanic used his trolley jack on this area? Is that ok?

All in all I am looking for the safest and easiest way to do my summer/winter tyre change. In the long term it will be more cost effective, and I can do it when it suits.

Thanks in advance!

The lower arms are strong enough at the back and at the front I go under the sub frame where it bolts to the body. If you look about a foor in just behind the front wheel, it forms an inverted cup which the trolley jack head fits into just nicely.

Lee I have the side steps on my T180 and have on a regular basis jacked the car up using the pinch weld adapter.. OK its a modified ice hockey puck but weld adapter sounds better... ..

I put the axle stands under the heaviest of the chassis sections and lower gently until the car is touching but I don't actually let the entire weight of the car down onto the contact point as they are there as a safety device..

There are as you say two points at which you can lift both sets of wheels IE the fronts or the backs but I have never found the need to do this doing the general cleaning and maintenance that I do so perhaps someone else can advise..

Thank you for replies, feel more confident now to the task in hand. Job for today is purchase trolley jack, axel stands and torque wrench (Halfords one which has good reviews)

Lee Costco have a brilliant trolley jack for just over a 100 quid and they have top quality extendable axle stands for under 20 quid..... I have membership if it helps get you through the door....

I use a hockey puck on my Arcam Alu 2T jack that I bought from Costco! Great price at £79🎃

Also take a look at Amazon for aluminium low life trolly jacks with twin rams! The guys from Piston Heads go for these as they are lighter than the steel ones! 🎎🎓🎈🔮

Oops! Low lift that should have said! As they've sold out of the Low Life ones! 🙊👀💥😂😗

Tim. Costco do two versions of the Arcan jack one of which is the low entry levellight weight twin ram alloy job which is the one I mentioned above and costs just over 100 quid... Ice hockey pucks are less than two nicker from flebay

I bought mine a few years ago now Charlie when they were on offer. The Arcam ones are the way to go.🔧🔩🔨

I bought a few ice hockey pucks off eBay to👍😊

Pinch weld adapters Timothy if you don't mind ...

Lmao!... Oops! Of course I meant to say, pinch weld adaptor😝

Silly me😂

Thanks for the heads up on the Arcan Charlie, i will try for one of them. Looking at reviews they do seem to be the favourite. Was looking at the Clark's this morning and nearly got one of them.

Been meaning to get a Costco membership for a while, looks like a good reason to finally get one now. Could get an Arcan off eBay for £20 extra, but with membership costing £30 it's a no brainer. Lots of people I work with swear by Costco.

I'm glad that you've taken Charlie advise on the Arcam!

Thanks for the heads up on the Arcan Charlie, i will try for one of them. Looking at reviews they do seem to be the favourite. Was looking at the Clark's this morning and nearly got one of them.

Been meaning to get a Costco membership for a while, looks like a good reason to finally get one now. Could get an Arcan off eBay for £20 extra, but with membership costing £30 it's a no brainer. Lots of people I work with swear by Costco.

Pay the extra £20 and upgrade from standard to executive membership and you get 2% discount on everything you buy, plus a few initial freebies that nearly covers the extra cost immediately :) (and if you did when the year is up you DIDN'T save enough to cover the extra, they'll refund the extra sub!)

Don looking to get another jack myself ... Is the 1.5 tonne in the link ok thought I had read somewhere else to get a 2 tonne one ?

This looks quite nice and at this price (£103 inc VAT) comes with axle stands.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tja15-jsr-aluminium-trolley-jack-with-axle-stands

Don that's the small one.... It is the Arcan one. They appear all over the place re branded. My 1.5 tonne wee one is branded as a Machine Mart one. They really are like comparing race horses with donkeys.... The wee one will do the job alright but its just about at its limit given the weight of the Rav4..... The big one does it with absolute ease and just feels very safe.

Bear with me and I will post a picture of both the big and small one and the brilliant axle stands you can get from Costco.

If You go to Costco website you can still purchase goods but they will add 5% + VAT to your total purchase prices

Pics....

The blue one is at least 7 years old but still works as new... It is a capable item and has very low entry. It is branded a Clarke (Machine Mart) but is made by Arcan. Rated at 1.5 tonne

Red one is less than a year old and is a far heavier and IMO much more capable tool with much capacity to spare. It is rated at 2 tonne. Despite the similar capacity in use the tools are differences are massive . The red one lifts with absolute ease. Its a far better and heavier tool. The handle is far longer and thicker making the job seem so much easier....

The Axle stands are rated at 3000KG. Built like a tank and fully adjustable. From memory they are around 18 quid which is cheap safety as far as I'm concerned.

jack003_zps57fc0067.jpg

jack004_zpsa8913ff6.jpg

jack005_zpsf03c94f6.jpg

jack006_zpsbf80b530.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't got as much room in my garage as you do Charlie and I think I would stuggle with the jack handle sticking out the side.

I store my jack on the wall to save space and again I think I might struggle with the big one.

I must say I really fancy one though!

I haven't got as much room in my garage as you do Charlie and I think I would stuggle with the jack handle sticking out the side.

I store my jack on the wall to save space and again I think I might struggle with the big one.

I must say I really fancy one though!

jack handles are very quickly and easily removable... I store my jacks under the tool chests with the handles laid beside them. The handles also come apart in the middle for easy storage.

We'll I have bought my torque wrench, nice bit of kit from the Halford pro tool range. Nice long handle for extra leverage.

I need to ring costco membership to see if I qualify. (They come round once a year to where I work to do sign ups, but my profession is not listed, so will see)

Looks like sgs do a 2.5 ton ally racing jack with axel stand £117' which seems good. Charlie are you saying arcan is a rebadged spa jack, if so then I would go for this model.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links