Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Practice For Jacking Rav 4.

crustyclam

We'll I have bought my torque wrench, nice bit of kit from the Halford pro tool range. Nice long handle for extra leverage.

I need to ring costco membership to see if I qualify. (They come round once a year to where I work to do sign ups, but my profession is not listed, so will see)

Looks like sgs do a 2.5 ton ally racing jack with axel stand £117' which seems good. Charlie are you saying arcan is a rebadged spa jack, if so then I would go for this model.

My understanding is that these tools are made by Arcan and other suppliers buy them and re Badge them..

I have looked quite closely at that 2.5T one and there are a lot of differences when looking closely.. A few of the parts on the Arcan one are cast ally where on the other one look like steel.. That jack just seems to lack the quality...

That said I would say it should do the job just the same. No reason to suspect otherwise..

I can only recommend the Arcan ones on the basis I have used my 1.5T one for years and the 2T one for a year and they are fantastic. Not sure on the other one ... If I'm honest and having trotted several times into the garage to compare I have to say the Arcan one just looks better.. Perhaps SGS have bought a lower quality item with perhaps cheaper conponents in order to be able to supply cheaper ? I do stress though I havent a clue and its based on what I see rather than experience using them which is restricted to the Costco supplied Arcan badged one.

I keep looking back to the pictures you posted Charlie and I must admit it does look the bees knees. Will still look to get the Arcan, but failing to be in stock at costco (and me getting membership) I'll go for the SGS 2.5t as it still looks decent quality. Want to get my winters on next weekend.

Not sure how far up in Cheshire you are but I go to Costco in Birmingham so would meet up if you want to get your gear from there.. I go twice a month and they had good stocks last time I was in....

Not sure how far up in Cheshire you are but I go to Costco in Birmingham so would meet up if you want to get your gear from there.. I go twice a month and they had good stocks last time I was in....

Charlie, your a gentleman and a scholar, thank you for the offer. I am warrington so sandwiched between Haydock and Trafford park Costco's. I think membership will be ok, and fingers crossed 1 of them will have them in stock. I will check tomorrow.

In a previous life when i was green laning in Jeeps, a chap I knew said you have to be careful jacking up a vehicle with a limited slip diff or diff locks in place. If one side of the car is raised and you rotate a wheel with the brace, it can be enough to roll the vehicle off of the jack. I'm not sure it's true or not, but it's the only thing I can think of adding to the debate :-)

My ancient halfrauds trolley jack looks like cr*p now! but still works perfectly. I did have a nice bottle jack, but I haven't seen it in years.. Must have leant it out and not got it back.

Result, one of my friends at work has picked me up the Arcan from Trafford Park Costco, he passes very close on his way home.

• Like 1

Result, one of my friends at work has picked me up the Arcan from Trafford Park Costco, he passes very close on his way home.

Bet you will be chuffed with it ! Did you go jack and stands or just the jack ?

Just got the jack, will shop online for some jacks.

Most correct, I am chuffed with it. It does look quality.

The Arcan stands at Costco are very good, and good price too... get your mate to pick a pair up :)

Bit late now, but I have a heavy duty (3000kg) SGS engineering trolley jack.

It's a bit heavy to lug about (but it's in the front of my garage and DIY is performed right outside the garage!)

I'm quite sure they actually manufacture these jacks themselves, not buy them in.

Mine is a super bit of kit and lifts the whole rear end in seconds with less effort than dragging it the three feet to use it!

Cheap too and will very probably out last me!

(I'm not as well constructed)

Dave

I thought they were made by themselves but it doesn't say on the website any more. That could be because they are buying them in or because they have expanded the range with bought in stuff.

Ordered some 6 ton ratchet stands with extra locking pin from SGS, also ordered some protective rubber pads that help protect sills and body work. Should be ready to change wheels over at weekend...if weather picks up!

So those protective things are better than my pinch weld adapters ....

I have still ordered the pinch weld adapters x2, still need to use them with the jack.

Covering all bases!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the winter rubbers are now fitted, Pinch Weld Adapter worked very well and the trolley jack was very good, no effort required.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links