Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Two Mot Advisories

DanLB

Morning guys

Just wondered if i could get some advice ?

My RAV has two advisories , centre exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases , and under body shield loose.

Can anyone advise how urgent i should be treating these issues ? , i am a little worried that a garage i dont know (have moved to a new area so dont have any knowledge of local guys) might try to make out the exhaust is a problem with the cat or something

The under body shield , is that a body shop issue ?

Thanks (pretty clueless Dan)

The underbody shield Could possibly be just an aluminium heat shield for the exhaust could be re attached or maybe removed.with regard to exhaust leak it can't be that much of a problem or else would have failed but obviously needs attention so gives you time to ask around for reputable independent garages in your area

Heat shields are a common problem but very easily fixed and that fix costs less than a quid.... Exhaust as said above would be blowing a tune if it needed urgent attention....

Garages have by duty to give advisories but certain places do it just to drum up trade..

• Like 1

Hi Dan, it would help in future if you would add more info on your RAV as there many different models and years.

Some models have their cat at the manifold so it would not be so expensive to replace the centre section.

Del

• Like 1

As crofter has said please update your profile. Can't speak for the diesel models but the heat shield on the petrol falls off after some years.

• Like 1

Sorry guys , have done now (i think..)

Its an XT4 2006 (November) RAV , what was the under a quid fix ?!

Penny washers...............

• Like 1

forgot to say , its a petrol

Dav , penny washers ?

Oversize washer big enough to cover hole left by corrosion around fixing point. If you go for a DIY fix for the heatshield do be aware that the original nuts may well be rusted onto the studs. The studs twist and pull out of the floor pan very easily leaving a hole.

I fixed my heatshield last week but I used some galvanised builders banding and stacked new nuts over the existing, having cleaned the threads first.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Had a goog look at the under body shield , i think it must have been a really picky advisorie as its well attached , not really loose at all

More worrying , i got a mechanic friend to help me , we looked at the centre exhaust , and you can feel it blowing along the side join , but it seems that with this model of RAV i will need a whole exhaust unit...as in i cant buy centre , back box and cat ......any ideas?

Cheers

This is a problem we see more often now as the cars are getting a bit older....

One of the problems is the cost.. It is a Toyota only part as none of the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers have produced the large center box which has the oxidization catylist in front of it.

You can have a stainless exhaust made up but on the cars with Dcat its very possible the back pressure wont be correct and it could end up throwing up fault codes and refusing to do its job correctly.

Mt exhaust failed in January this year and I had a stainless one made up but had it removed quite soon after as the booming and resonance noise was unbearable on the motorway or travelling at speed. Stainless systems are usually noisier than mild steel ones.

The best price I have seen for replacement was Voyager T180s which was from memory around £850 . Full retail is close to 1200 quid fitted by your Toyota dealer...

OR you can go the stainless route as I mistakenly did . Some have done this and been happy. Cost of that would be circa 350....

• Like 1

Cheers Charlie for the confirmation of bad news ha ha :-)

So , i need to keep an eye out wherever i can for a Voyager T180 for my 06 Model petrol RAV ? or bite the bullet and get Toyota to do it ? (my mechanic mate can fit if i can find...)

Thanks again

Is yours a 4.3 RAV - from the date I would think so? Ours is a Jan 2007 XT4 petrol 4.3 and the exhaust is in 3 sections - I needed the middle section replaced. I decided to go for a genuine part from Toyota - it cost £786.47 fitted and that was with a discount (I think because it was fully serviced with Toyota and only 30000 miles). It now sounds slightly quieter and seems to be slightly more fuel efficient. A lot of money but peace of mind.

The cats are in the front section and hopefully unlikely to go. The rear section is much cheaper.

David

• Like 1

If you can fit, ask Kingo for his best price.

David

• Like 1

Well , i am unsure if it is all one piece now , because for interests sake i asked Toyota dealership to quote a complete exhaust system , and he quoted me £1130 inv VAT and gaskets , and i pressed him on if this was a complete system and he sent me a diagram of a complete exhaust , and said the quote was only for the centre ? or is it that Toyita can do piece by piece but us normals cant ?

Hi , its a november 2006 model XT-4 2.0 petrol , and my mate is convinced its all one piece (sadly!)

Your mate is wrong, I believe!

• Like 1

Well , i am unsure if it is all one piece now , because for interests sake i asked Toyota dealership to quote a complete exhaust system , and he quoted me £1130 inv VAT and gaskets , and i pressed him on if this was a complete system and he sent me a diagram of a complete exhaust , and said the quote was only for the centre ? or is it that Toyita can do piece by piece but us normals cant ?

Yes that sounds the amount without discount but I would ask for discount!

Also message Kingo and see what his price would be

David

• Like 1

Kingo's members name is Parts King and he often posts on here and will give discount to members. Others say that he likes pies but that could just be a rumour!!

David

• Like 1

Hi , its a november 2006 model XT-4 2.0 petrol , and my mate is convinced its all one piece (sadly!)

Your mate is wrong, I believe!

Yes , it would seem that way if Toyota are just quoting me the centre part only , i thought at that price it would include the whole lot inc a shiny new tail pipe :-(

Kingo's members name is Parts King and he often posts on here and will give discount to members. Others say that he likes pies but that could just be a rumour!!

David

Ha ha , i wont mention pies then!

If it`s of interest to anyone , i have had a quote with 3 year gurantee for the front , middle and back , from bentleys totyota (01925) of £750 inc vat and delivery , does this sound OK , should i be wary for any reason ? the guy sounded genuine enough etc

If it`s of interest to anyone , i have had a quote with 3 year gurantee for the front , middle and back , from bentleys totyota (01925) of £750 inc vat and delivery , does this sound OK , should i be wary for any reason ? the guy sounded genuine enough etc

Sounds good! Very good! Better than my price for just middle from Westlands Toyota!

You need

Parts-King

try going to Forums and scrolling down to General Discussions and he is about the second post

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links