Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid Headlights

Towncrier

Hi Devon Aygo,

Yes this is the big problem, but I am so pleased you have posted your message.

You are the first person to say they have found the lights good on the Yaris Hybrid.

I notice that your present car is the D4D I had the SR 2 door version and I found the lights at least 50% better than my Hybrid.

I can now go and say this car headlights are not set up correctly, for if the one you drive is better mine should be to.

Cheers Devon Aygo I am so pleased that the one you drive is good, it would complete the pleasure of having my Hybrid if I could say the same.

Have you any idea how I could persuade the Toyota agent to do more about it than saying "we have checked the beam and they are set correctly" and that is all I can get them to do.

The light output of the HIR2 bulbs is approx 1870 lumens, whereas OE halogen bulbs are around 1000 lumens. You could consider the fitment of something like the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited +110%, which from Osram figures give an increase of around +110% over standard Osram halogen bulbs - by my estimation offering around 2100 lumens.

EG: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OSRAM-NIGHT-BREAKER-UNLIMITED-Headlight/dp/B00FQ8ANTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391894551&sr=8-1&keywords=9006+osram+nightbreaker+unlimited+bulbs

Hi Devon Aygo,

Yes this is the big problem, but I am so pleased you have posted your message.

You are the first person to say they have found the lights good on the Yaris Hybrid.

I notice that your present car is the D4D I had the SR 2 door version and I found the lights at least 50% better than my Hybrid.

I can now go and say this car headlights are not set up correctly, for if the one you drive is better mine should be to.

Cheers Devon Aygo I am so pleased that the one you drive is good, it would complete the pleasure of having my Hybrid if I could say the same.

Have you any idea how I could persuade the Toyota agent to do more about it than saying "we have checked the beam and they are set correctly" and that is all I can get them to do.

TBH if the dealer has checked and confirmed that the alignment is correct and that everything is operating correctly , then there is nothing they can do, dealers are barred from altering a vehicles specification from standard ( genuine accessories excepted ) as doing so and causing an issue would leave the dealer exposed to any level of litigation and no support from Toyota

I can understand what you say and accept it fully.

The question is "If your lights are good and indeed better than the Yaris D4D you had before. Why are mine so poor if they are exactly the same set up as yours?". Surely there must be something wrong?

I am not asking for anything amazing, just the same as you have, decent headlights.

Towncrier, I have to preface this by saying that until I have my Yaris hybrid delivered I have no personal experience of Yaris headlights. I can say though that I agree that poor headlights is a safety issue and doesn't fit with the rest of the vehicle either. I can only think of a few possible explanations:

1. You have gone completely bonkers. Very unlikely, given the research and effort you have put in, but then again this is the internet... :goof:

2. All Yaris hybrids have very poor lighting. Unlikely again, as I think we would have heard more of it.

3. Your car, for some reason has a problem that doesn't stop the lights working, but reduces their output or affects the direction. The most annoying possibility, but the most likely.

Is there a way you can compare your car with a similar model, in the dark? A relatively local dealer would be best, as if you can show that there is a difference it will be much easier to get it fixed.

David

Hi David,

(orangezorki)

I can assure you I am not bonkers, although driving at night lately is sending me that way.

I have spoken to numerous people with Yaris Hybrid's and they all feel that the lights on these models are not good.

I have already spoken to my local Toyota agency and we have arranged for me to have use of another Hybrid for a night for comparison purposes.

I will post my findings on the site when this has taken place. (Date not yet agreed).

My thanks to all those who have replied to my post, this site been more helpful than I thought it would be.

Hi David,

(orangezorki)

I can assure you I am not bonkers, although driving at night lately is sending me that way.

I have spoken to numerous people with Yaris Hybrid's and they all feel that the lights on these models are not good.

I have already spoken to my local Toyota agency and we have arranged for me to have use of another Hybrid for a night for comparison purposes.

I will post my findings on the site when this has taken place. (Date not yet agreed).

My thanks to all those who have replied to my post, this site been more helpful than I thought it would be.

Hello Towncrier,

Thank you for taking my post in the spirit in which it was given!

I hope it goes without saying that I'd be happy to chip in with my impressions when I get the car. If the lights are that bad, may I ask how much you charge to walk in front with a red flag crying "Oyez, oyez, Yaris hybrid rolling!"?

David

P.S. Do let us know if my gags are getting tiresome...

Hi David,

No problem but I am afraid the wording should be "Oyez, oyez, BLIND Yaris hybrid rolling!"?

I really do hope that your Yaris has much better lighting than mine does.

It is a great car and I am really unhappy, only because of the head lights.

Some people (not you) will read this post and think it is a very trivial subject, "Oh his lights are not as good as he wants, stop moaning and put up with it".

The problem is very real, I would suggest these people go on a dark country road and drive on dip only (that is the type of lighting I have) and see how it restricts your speed and also causes very unhappy drivers behind you.

Sure the headlights on main beam go further but the light is not good enough to be of any use. I have actually travelled on full beam and nobody coming the other way flashed me.!!!

Moaning time over and jokes by the way are always good.

Peter

Hi David, do you think your naff headlights is because your particular car is a hybrid and they put dimmer bulbs in to conserve power to save fuel economy.......i am wondering if it were say a diesel they would be brighter? If your local dealership were to lend you a different model for a night, not a hybrid i wonder if you would notice a significant improvement. Not being funny my 2 year old diesel Rav4, definitely a lot thirstier than your Yaris but the headlamps are brilliant if you forgive the pun.

I used to have a D4D Yaris and the lights were a lot better. I am sure you have a good reason there and I am having another Yaris hybrid to take out at night (with a Toyota mechanic) to see any difference.

Thank you for the post but I really need a way to improve the lights not a reason why they are bad. If it was not for the amount of money I would loose, I would sell it tomorrow and that is sad as I love the car.

Peter

So in reality if an identical car to yours has better headlamps then that suggests your actual car has a fault, if the identical car has headlights just as bad then thats how they are. I just wondered if you inquired about having say diesel headlamps/bulbs fitted, ask their parts dep't if they are a different part number although i'd imagine complete new headlamps are quite dear and also i am assuming would affect your cars performance and/or Battery capacity.

You have got the idea correct, I have been told that the Hybrid do have different headlights to the other models purely for the looks.

Have they got it wrong ? Well yes I think they have, There is a kit that can improve the visibility (see the previous posts) but they are not legal to use in the UK (you need self levelling lights).

One of the main moans I have is why, oh why have we got to pay out to improve the lights on a brand new car?

I am quite surprised that a Toyota official has not offered a comment on this problem, perhaps they know there is nothing that can be done. I know this is not an official Toyota web site but please do not tell me they do not know what is being said on here?

If I am wrong then Toyota are not as savvy as I think they are.

My wife has just asked me a question. "Perhaps my standards are higher than Toyota's?" My answer, "NO! I have had lots of Toyota's and driven a lot more and I have never moaned about the lights before".

Well Mike another rant by Peter! perhaps I should stop this topic and stop being a moaning old git?

Hi Peter

You are correct about different markets have different models. I don't know if you have read but i started/joined a thread about RAV4's having a spare wheel and a full size one at that. Well in the Australian market only they make a modified rear end to accomodate the spare wheel, not a space saver but a full size one yet they won't do it for the UK market.

RAV4 spare wheel.jpg

Hope the link i have copy and pasted works ok

Mike

This morning I've had a look through the previous topics on the Yaris Hybrid, and, to be honest, complaints about the headlights aren't there.

There was one topic asking about bulbs on the Hybrid, and one other topic on poor headlights on the non-hybrid Yaris - which was a bit inconclusive in that some owners found the lighting acceptable and others had upgraded the bulbs. There are some lengthy topics covering several pages, including an owners review, but the lighting hasn't been subject to discussion.

So it does appear to be an issue with your car.

Perhaps a comparison between your car and another Yaris Hybrid, in conjunction with a technician from your Toyota dealer, is the way forward.

Hi Frosty,

I have had a few contact me and a couple on this post have had problems, I have already arranged to have a run in a different Hybrid to do a comparison.

Thank you for the use of this site to try and get some ideas.

Peter

Think that is probably the way to go, and there is no thanks due for using the site - you're a member, so please use it. Members will be interested to know the outcome of your comparison to determine whether it is a common problem or not, so please let us know what happens.

The 2013 Auris also has HIR2 bulbs, and there has been some comment on the Auris club regarding the performance of these bulbs in the Auris's projector headlights.

Hi Frosty,

I have had a few contact me and a couple on this post have had problems, I have already arranged to have a run in a different Hybrid to do a comparison.

Thank you for the use of this site to try and get some ideas.

Peter

Yup, still here. Still got these ineffective headlights.

I suppose it's technically *possible* that there is no actual model-wide problem...just an issue that is coincidentally only affecting my car, Peter's car, and whoever else commented that they also felt the headlights are not up to task. :ermm:

Looking forward to the clocks going forward again.

Hi David,

No problem but I am afraid the wording should be "Oyez, oyez, BLIND Yaris hybrid rolling!"?

I really do hope that your Yaris has much better lighting than mine does.

It is a great car and I am really unhappy, only because of the head lights.

Some people (not you) will read this post and think it is a very trivial subject, "Oh his lights are not as good as he wants, stop moaning and put up with it".

The problem is very real, I would suggest these people go on a dark country road and drive on dip only (that is the type of lighting I have) and see how it restricts your speed and also causes very unhappy drivers behind you.

Sure the headlights on main beam go further but the light is not good enough to be of any use. I have actually travelled on full beam and nobody coming the other way flashed me.!!!

Moaning time over and jokes by the way are always good.

Peter

The point I pick up here, which is in line with my original reply, is that if you are driving on full beam and nobody flashed you, then, I submit, the lights are not aligned correctly. The beam should fall at 1% or an inch every eight feet. I would question that your lights do this. If you are in a country lane on full beam, every oncoming driver should flash you, and curse you!

Regards Geoff Peace.

I had a quick look at the thread on the Auris forum where they are also not happy with the headlights. Some seem to think that the problem is the projector (instead of reflector) setup only producing a narrow area of light, and not lighting areas to the side at all (like corners). Anyone know if the Yaris lights are a similar design, or if it is just down to the bulb?

Thanks,

David

Hi all,

Ref the positioning of my lights I have had it in the garage and they have checked the beams and told me they are perfectly aligned.

I have also spoken to an electrical engineer who says that the projector type lens work better with zenon bulbs with the correct accessories. That is why they have switched from the normal bulb to the HiR2 type, but it still does not work probably.

Of course I will post the findings as soon as they provide me with another Hybrid to check it with.

Peter

Ah! Projector headlights - another triumph of aesthetics over function.

Power saving and differences for markets were mentioned earlier. I wonder if there was a conscious thought at Toyota that since (they'd expect) most Hybrids will be used in urban areas, which are largely street-lit, then excellent lights weren't really needed.

Another issue (and I am noticing this as I've got old) is that as people age they need more light. One website says "Most older adults require three to four times more light than they did previously to perform many everyday activities." Along with the greater susceptibility to glare I'm certainly finding night driving more difficult than 10 years ago. I'm not suggesting that anyones eyes have suddenly changed when they changed cars, but maybe the vision 'loss' is somewhat colour dependent - could be that the Hybrid/projector lights use a less well seen colour than the normal ones. Just an idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my new Yaris Hybrid for a few days now and my opinion of the headlights are that they are perfectly adequate.

My previous car was a Lexus CT with LED headlights, which had a very white light and the Yaris lights are certainly a different colour but nevertheless do the job.

Whilst I can pass the driving sight test without my glasses, I find that wearing my varifocals at night gives me much improved night vision.

I agree with MikeSh, our eyes are much more likely to blame than the Yaris headlights !

PS. I am 55

Ive had Yaris 1.33 and Hybrid, I found the 1.33 awful, Hybrid seemed fine.......weird eh?

I've had projector headlights on both my Auris and found them to be pretty good - especially with Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs

• 4 weeks later...

Osram have recently begun production of HIR2 bulbs, and I contacted them to see whether they will be making upgrade versions (ie Nightbreaker). Their reply is as follows:

Good afternoon Mike

Thank you for your web message.

HIR bulbs already run at a high efficiency and up-rated versions are not possible at the moment. So, I am afraid that there are no immediate plans to introduce a Night Breaker version. Thank you for your interest and we will keep it in mind.

Best regards

Keith Raftery

Technical Sales Manager

OSRAM Ltd

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links