Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid Headlights

Towncrier

Hello all,

I've had my car for close to 1000 miles now, and promised that I would post on this thread, so here it is:

I don't know. Sorry, but all the miles I have driven have been in London or on major, well lit roads. I can say that they work, and that the ability to change the setting of the automatic sensor in the Touch and Go is a nice feature. Setting it one or two notches below the middle seems to create a reasonable activation point. The lights themselves seem bright as well.

BUT! The main problem here, as I understand it, is the lights not giving a wide enough view in corners on unlit roads. If I ever encounter this, I'll post back.

David

Hello Frosty, David and everybody else who have posted a reply on this.

I am sorry I have not answered you lately I have been poorly and not been on the site for a while.

I have had a trial in another Yaris Hybrid (from the dealer I use) and although they were a little better, 'in my opinion' they were still not good.

I have decided that I must have a different opinion on good (ref. these headlights) to others, this happens in all walks of life and is not uncommon. I feel that I must accept what I get and move on rather than keep worrying about it.

I have tried different bulbs in the unit and although the lights are a great deal brighter the beam is not correct, this is due to the unique make up of the HIR2 bulb. Other bulbs have a different make up, so using the brighter bulbs produce more light but due to the lack of an external reflector on projector lens lights they do not produce a good beam. So it is a case of except it or not and as other people are happy with it nothing will be done.

So I feel that this discussion has nowhere else to go!!! but I would like to reiterate my thanks to you all and wish you all safe and happy Toyota motoring.

• 1 year later...

I too have found 2014 Yaris headlights to be abysmal ie using H1R2LL / 9012 bulbs. (Renault Clio Sport MUCH better) No problem with 2 previos Yaris and 1 IQ.

Anybody tried these as an alternative ? (Claimed to be 30% brighter than standard, but no rave reviews.)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/9012-Super-White-Upgrade-Bulb.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAzO6zBRC25Ju1idGJiZkBEiQAP3Sf6F_b5-DMKPPKk4RozZwuONZ671TsiU_jApMZU6kMoKMaAhXk8P8HAQ

• 1 year later...

I've found a way to greatly improve the Yaris Hybrid H1R2 headlights - fit modified HB4 headlight bulbs!  Basically HB4 and H1R2 only differ in having slightly different plastic lugs for mounting.  More importantly, for some reason, there are +110%, +130% etc versions of HB4 whereas there aren't for H1R2.  Therefore with only a small modification to a lug, you can safely fit an HB4 such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSRAM-NIGHT-BREAKER-UNLIMITED-Headlight/dp/B00FQ8ANTE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This is a Nightbreaker +110%; the reason I include this link is that it includes details of the modification - look for the "top customer review" regarding their use on the Vauxhall Ampera, which suffers from similarly rubbish H1R2 lights.

Now my Ampera and my wife's Yaris Hybrid have far better lights, use the Halfords +130% HB4 bulbs which are always on buy one, get one free :)

Hope this helps...

Richard

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi rgledhill,

Interested to know how this has worked out. Has the extra light output given any problems from additional heat ? ie hopefully no damage from anything getting too hot ?

Graham

How is the color temperature of these bulbs compared to H1R2?

• 10 months later...

It's not clear whether you resolved your problem but, like you, I was extremely disappointed with the Yaris Hybrid headlamps.  However, after some research, I've found a conversion kit that enables the existing poor headlights to be replaced with bright white LED ones that are much, much brighter!

I bought them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4FLB02/  They are on offer at the moment at about £29 for the pair.

I was concerned that they might not fit in the enclosures (There is a fanned heat-sink behind each bulb and with an additional control module and wiring.)

However, having received them today, I've just installed them without any problem with some judicious curling of the additional cable within the enclosure. 

AND THEY ARE BRILLIANTLY WHITE AND MUCH BRIGHTER WITHOUT APPARENT GLARE!

Hope this helps.

Do not forget, that there are laws about LED aftermarket light bulbs, let alone the insurance implications.  Be aware that you could be breaking the law.

Best thing is to fit Optiwhites.  Legal, and they are supplied by Toyota.

Mick

The majority of LED kits aren't road legal in the UK.

I eventually disposed of my Yaris as the poor lighting made it too dangerous for me to drive at night. Such a pity as it was otherwise a great car - spoilt by an awful change made by Toyota. I am now in a Volvo with Xenon’s - that are like searchlights!

I have a 2017 face-lift yaris and have found the lights to be very bright and more than adequate, did they revise/upgrade then for the face-lift? 

With our 2014 Yaris (facelift) the lights are very good and bright with the new Optiwhites, but it's the optics that let it down.

The headlights are more like spotlights rather than a decent flood light.  Going round corners, the optics don't help at all as they are too "spotty" and it's difficult to see where you're going ............. if "spotty" is the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

City/town driving, they are excellent, but in the dark bendy Cornish lanes, they take some getting used to.

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

The added light of the Optiwhite are worth the price! I agree that the spread of the beam is wanting, but you get used to it.

Ok everyone thank you for your posts. Do representatives from Toyota not look at this site?

I have been a Toyota lover for years and love this forum but it would be nice if Toyota stepped in sometimes and said "We have changed the bulbs on the new Yaris (thereby admitting the old ones were not good enough) come and get some bulbs that are good enough to drive in the dark. Oh and safe enough.

Rant over sorry. 

We don't know whether Toyota GB visit the forums, but if they do, they won't reply directly to any post. They have their own communication channels that customers can use to raise queries - the contact section of their main website, Toyota UK blog and social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc).

As regards the bulbs, as far as I'm aware they haven't changed the bulbs used in production, but have made available the Optiwhites that owners can purchase as replacements if they wish. Both the OE and the Optiwhite bulbs are made by Philips.

Thank you for the information, it is really helpful.

They must know about this problem, so why not change them on the production line? But there again it would be common sense and of course they wouldn't make the money when people upgrade.

Once again thank you all for the helpful advice.

The Optiwhite upgrade bulbs only became available around October/November last year (2017). Prior to the Optiwhites becoming available Osram bought out upgrade HIR2 bulbs earlier in 2017, which are around 20% brighter (as opposed to 60% for the Optiwhites) but at around £70 a pair (Optiwhites £48.77 a pair).

Prior to these two bulbs being introduced, there weren't any upgrade HIR2 bulbs available.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Prior to the Optiwhites becoming available Osram bought out upgrade HIR2 bulbs earlier in 2017, which are around 20% brighter (as opposed to 60% for the Optiwhites) but at around £70 a pair (Optiwhites £48.77 a pair).

If you look around you can find the Osram Cool Blue Intense for ~£25 ea. e.g. https://www.hids4u.co.uk/hir2-osram-cool-blue-intense-12v-55w-9012-halogen-bulb.html

Nevertheless, if the claimed figures are true the Optiwhite is the better bulb (& my dealer at least fitted them for free & at a slightly discounted price for the bulbs) .  Whiter than oem fit but still yellower than HIDs. Will be interesting to see what their lifespan is.

The Osrams have gone down in price since December then.

Don't think so, lots of places still selling at ~£35 but it's usually been possible to find cheaper if you took the effort to look around.

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...

Hello 

I have a 2012 Yaris and was wondering if the 2017 headlights with projector would fit into the space of the 2012 lights? 

Your help would be appreciated 

Thanks 

I have a 2014 Excel and have fitted Optiwhites. A lot better than the standard bulbs in my opinion.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:51 PM, Sandip45 said:

I have a 2012 Yaris and was wondering if the 2017 headlights with projector would fit into the space of the 2012 lights? 

I don't know the answer to that specifically, but I do know it could possibly be illegal.  As the bare minimum, you should ask your insurance company if they would allow it.

Mick.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to raise an 2019 topic. I found that HIR1 and 2 are actually the highest lumens for Halogen. OSRAM standard or Philips Extreem is 1870 lumens, the OEM Longlife 1340 lumens but 4x lifespan. The main issue is the design of using 1/2 intensity for the low beam with HIR2 projector in Yaris and Auris2 and effectively only 1/2 of the light is projected to the road. Besides that projector light usually are less bright than reflector although the light distribution is better.  I have searched for brighter bulb and standard HIR2 instead of Longlife give 40% more light. GTR ultra 2 and Apollo X7 ~3000-3400 lumens is 100% brighter but ilegal.