Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Save The Iq

Hicardo

IF the IQ were to cease production, that would be a sad day.

My recommendation to sell more IQs and therefore avoid the axe, would be as follows:

1. Put a turbo on the 1.0, to give it 90-100 bhp. This would attract loads more buyers. It wouldn't be long before aftermarket tuners like DMS had 130bhp and upwards rechip offerings

2. Reduce the cost. It does seem a bit overpriced. I know you get a well sorted car with a lot of clever engineering, but ultimately people equate vfm with size and space, and there's no getting around that really

• Like 1

Hi, My view re save the IQ similar !

Most people compair the IQ to a smart and the smart is cheaper, so re marketing the IQ at a reduced and more competitive price to the smart will increase the sales as most that are buying smarts will buy the IQ because it is considered to be better vechile.

Toyota will probably not do this as it may not then meet there profit targets ?

So I expect it to be a dead duck in 12 months or so.

Does this mean that our second hand IQ's will increase in value ? or decrease in value when and if the IQ is discontinued for sale in the UK ?

• Like 1

Part of the issue is that, as the IQ is built in Japan, exports to Europe suffer from adverse exchange rates, making it expensive to buy. Same problem as the Verso S, Urban Cruiser and Daihatsu (who pulled out of all European markets this year). So it would be difficult to reduce the price and make any profit.

Putting a turbo on the 1.0 litre to produce 90-100bhp would negate the need for the 1.33 (97bhp).

• Like 1

I suppose those of us that really want a new one will simply have to import one from Japan (Drive on left so RHD also).

Shame really. Personally I think the price of secondhand vehicles will go up initially and then drop dramatically as new designs from other manufacturers come into prominence. With BMW going EV, I just see the days of ICE vehicles numbered anyway.

Frosty, re the turbo, the point being you can (aftermarket) have pretty much any horsepower you want, within mechanical tolerance, with a turbo engine. Yep...drop the 1.3 and make the range cheaper, faster, more interesting. Not that I don't love my IQ the way it is....although I'd kinda like a turbo option

Not going to happen.

Make the range cheaper - Toyota would be increasing competition for the Aygo (a new version of the Aygo/C1/108 is coming out in 2014). Toyota must already be looking at the issue with exchange rates (which is the major factor as to why the IQ is expensive) and viability. They're already dropping the IQ in the Netherlands next year.

No future in turbocharging the 1 litre engine when they have the 1.33 which is similar in overall size and weight, is a newer engine, is shared across other models, is four cylinder (which will be smoother than the 3 cylinder 1 litre), and already produces the sort of power you're suggesting.

• Like 1

Agreed, they're not going to do it, but I'd LIKE them to do it. It's the variant I'd be most interested in, and which I'd buy. Thats a piece of genuine market research...hehe

I think the IQ was always meant to be an electric vehicle and Toyota now seem to think that hybrid is the only answer, and the IQ is probably lacking in internal space for that approach so that is the end of that.

As a petrol car there are just too many cheaper, faster, nearly as economical, if not more so, and full 4 seaters around now.

The IQ suits me though!

John

• Like 1

Suits me too.its a brilliant small car. I don't think theres anything better. I didn't mind paying the premium for it. But I want to be able to buy another one (new) in 2 years time!

• Like 1

It seems to be production for Europe which is questionable.

With the IQ approaching six years of production in 2014, a second generation may be on the cards. One way for Toyota to restore some profitability into the IQ for European sales, would be to consider some production at an existing European plant. The French plant producing the Yaris might suit - as the current engines for the IQ are shared with the Yaris. Presume the 1.0 litre engines come from Poland, and the 1.33 engines from Deeside.

Interestingly the Wikipedia information on the IQ mentions that a 1.6 engine would fit (!!) - the 1.6 Valvematic from the Auris would be nice (132bhp).

Quote:-

"The 1.0L engine is similar to the engine in Toyota Aygo. UK models include only petrol engines.

Early Japan models include only 1.0L three-cylinder engine. 1.33L engine option was added beginning in 2009.

The car is capable of fitting 1.6L four cylinder engine."

• Like 1

Can't imagine they make the iQ engines in Europe and ship them all out to Japan to fit in the car do they? I assumed the design was shared but they would be manufactured in factories local to the assembly line?

Maybe my engine has a "Made in Japan" mark somewhere on it. :)

1.6, I'll keep a look out for a scrapy selling one, could be interesting to try.

Craig.

No they don't make the engines for the IQ in Europe - but the same engine is fitted in the Aygo and Yaris, and the engines for the European market versions of these come from Poland (1,0 litre) and Deeside (1.33 litre). So as I implied some production of the IQ could be based in Europe using the European produced engines.

I'm toiling a bit to see why Toyota would look to put significantly larger or more powerful engines in the iQ; isn't one of its selling points the low/non existent road tax for a convenient city car?

I have to suspect that the numbers wanting anything approaching serious performance out of the cars are very limited, and so it'd make more sense to leave the power tweaking to aftermarket suppliers (or perhaps the likes of TTE?).

No they don't make the engines for the IQ in Europe - but the same engine is fitted in the Aygo and Yaris, and the engines for the European market versions of these come from Poland (1,0 litre) and Deeside (1.33 litre). So as I implied some production of the IQ could be based in Europe using the European produced engines.

Ahhh, Got you now.

Yes, it would be cheaper to make them here in Europe but I guess significant investment has to be made in the tooling and production lines before producing any cars. They have to weigh up investment against projected sales.

All the time the Aygo is being made and being made so cheaply I can't see a place for the iQ in Europe. Shame really as I love the car myself.

Craig.

• Like 1

Can't imagine they make the iQ engines in Europe and ship them all out to Japan to fit in the car do they? I assumed the design was shared but they would be manufactured in factories local to the assembly line?

Not iQ engines but other engines built in Deeside have been sent for production lines in Japan

The iQ is too expensive to build in it's present format and send to Europe, I am sure child of iQ will arrive at some stage, but it won't be a Jap build, that is not an exclusive by the way, just my thoughts

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier, Toyota could try to compete with Smart.

They could take out the rear seats, give it an awful gearbox, make it more unreliable, take out the power steering, cimate control, make air con an option, mess with the susupension so it feels like it will fall over in a bend, make it ugly, possibly pop in a glass roof, remove the steering wheel radio remote, take away the auto dip mirror and replace it with a massive standard model that takes up most of the screen, not include fog lamps on any model, but offer to install them for a fee, then charge more to switch them on on the ECU, make it more noisy and not feel like a real car......

Second thoughts, Smart already do a car that does all these things, so I would rather see the IQ bow out gracefully than lower itself to those levels.

• Like 3

If you want a new iQ, you are possibly only buying 1,

so when they announce the last models go buy one.

2014 maybe, 5 years warranty, takes you to 2019, keep the car longer if you want.

The world could be a different place by then, owning a well looked after Euro 5 engine car might be the best thing you do.

george

• Like 2

If you want a new iQ, you are possibly only buying 1,

so when they announce the last models go buy one.

2014 maybe, 5 years warranty, takes you to 2019, keep the car longer if you want.

The world could be a different place by then, owning a well looked after Euro 5 engine car might be the best thing you do.

george

Yep, eminently logical: as long as you have the money of course.

• Like 1

Why worry about saving something from going out of production if you are not actually going to buy another one.

Use it or lose it.

If you have one and are not going to buy another because the one you have is OK, then you are sorted.

No point IMO coming up with ideas to continue the life of products that people are not buying in the numbers required while they are available.

On sale since 2009, and converts coming to them still, but possibly not enough for Toyota to bother making Euro 6 compliant.

As it is, Germany is trying to put back the forthcoming Emission Standards so any manufacturers can change

their near future plans if the EU changes dates of implementation of Euro 6 Emissions.

george

Why worry about saving something from going out of production if you are not actually going to buy another one.

Use it or lose it.

Who's worried? I'm not. I've got mine and love it.

But ultimately it's just a car, and life itself holds many more important issues than the neuroses of a few enthusiasts.

LOL, obviously you are not worried,

you never started the thread, and you had the Wizz idea of just importing from Japan.

So if someone has no money to buy one here when the are selling the last ones,

Will Toyota just send one over free gratis to anyone that asks? No money changing hands required!

LOL, obviously you are not worried,

you never started the thread, and you had the Wizz idea of just importing from Japan.

So if someone has no money to buy one here when the are selling the last ones,

Will Toyota just send one over free gratis to anyone that asks? No money changing hands required!

What's your point apart from being aggressive? Agreed, I did not start the thread whilst the "wizz idea" (note the tone of ridicule) just comes from experience of a couple of Japanophiles I know who successfully import RHD cars from Japan into the UK.

My point being: if a car is so sought after, then all is not lost. There's secondhand, there's your option of a 2014 last purchase (if that is indeed to be Toyota's stance in Europe) and the very real option of importing (and all the duty one has to pay). I wasn't criticising you, I was actually agreeing with you but conceding that it's down to available money.

Perhaps leave your testosterone at the weigh in eh :)

• Like 1

No doubt i will get banned again if i point out what i think of what you just posted,

which is fair enough.

Yes i was ridiculing you if thats how you see it, taking the Mick is how i meant it.

after i suggested anyone buys one and you post,

about being OK if you have money.

Go read what you have written and posted and see if you think you are being aggressive.

Regarding the above debate

Perhaps Just "Chilling" about it all is best, after all it is only a Car and these things "come and go" just like we all will eventually !

• Like 1