Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stuttering, But Not Misfire Tickover To About 1700Rpm

davef2901

Hi guys, vvti auto is sluggish, like a misfire just off tickover. It's great once it picks up and screams to the bloodline(lovely noise), but throttle blipping it's on a go slow and has occasionally cut out. I gave the MAF a good clean using aerosol cleaner-it was a bit oily. I sprayed some into the cam vent into the throttle body intake cos I couldn't get the air inlet hose off to take it all off. I've never seen a hose clip like it-must be original!

The yota flew afterwards, sorted I thinks. Today wife says it's flying now-it was quick before. BUT the engine management light has come on, what have I broke? TBH the engine mgmt light came on once before, the disconnect/reconnect Battery turned it out. I've left it this time & booked it in for a diagnostic read at my local 4x4 fixer(landys speciality, but I only want it read). Thoughts are a coil pack, but the yota has full dealer service history so I think it unlikely.

Any pointers appreciated

Does sound like a coil. The rav has an individual coil for each spark plug, so replacing them all can be pricey. Is the air filter clean? Mine looked just a bit grey when I opened the air box, but by bending the filter, it exposes a swarm of dead insects and cr@p where the intake pipe funnels into it. Also might be worth running some Redex through with a tank of petrol. How old are the plugs? 60,000 miles is about the lifespan of the proper Iridium spark plugs according to my friendly Toyota dealer. I don't know what the life expectancy of the coils is though, but if they're 13 years old, they've not done bad!

I think this might be the first time I've been able to offer advice rather than ask for it.. Oh well, we live and learn!

Bill

Thanks for advice guys, follows my thinking. I'll see what mr diagnostic says and report back!

OOoH! Not good, o2 sensor bank1pos1. I said I'm with 3 but got told to go away. They'd reset but it came straight back. Want £165 to supply and fit, bugger.

Where is the cheap Rav spares place?

Other thing is-do they all fail after 1 does in a kind of domino effect? Anyone know please?

I would fit them as required. The light might go out if cancelled and it could be that the cleaner just caused the emmissions to blip for a while. I would read the code and see what happens if the light is put out. I wouldn't buy anything if it runs really well.

I had an O2 sensor burn out on me. The engine light came on but I didn't notice any ill effects. Is an engine light an MOT failure? I replaced the sensor months ago and that's been the end of it, none of the other sensors have suffered.

Thanks Bill, Don

God knows what was in the cleaner I used, it was £1 a tin! Very volatile though, it evaporated at 4C so it could have fried the sensor. There's a heck of variation on part prices, think I'll pm kingo to get the right one

Aha! When I looked under the bonnet I found bank 1 sensor 1 LOOSE in it's threads. Took it out, threads are naff, it's been out before and put back by a monkey who cross-threaded it. Cleaned threads up and replaced very carefully. Disconnected Battery, had cuppa, reconnected battery-any guesses?

Yep, lights out Rav running lovely, cross fingers, eyes & legs.

Every lambda sensor I've seen before has involved the long bar to undo, why was this loose? I'm not cynical, much! :clap:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links