Do Not Sell My Personal Information

03 Dyna Cutting Out In Damp Weather And Other Times

Jay Herring

Hi all,

I have an '03 D4D Toyota Dyna. It's done 72k and been absolutely no problem until it began cutting out in wet weather earlier in the Summer. This got more frequent recently and now it won't run at all.

The cutting out began occurring when I was applying some throttle - say after pulling out of a junction. I could quickly flick the key and it would kick back in to life until a couple of minutes later when the cutting out might happen again. This happened a few times whilst I was on a job for a week or two and when the job ended the weather had dried up and the problem went away. The wet weather we've had recently has started up the problem again and now the truck won't run at all. I had to tow it last week.

At first I thought it could be a fuel supply problem. So I changed the fuel filter. The old one was ok actually looking at it. An auto-electrician has seen the truck and concluded that the problem is mechanical not electrical and suggested the EGR valve was stuck/at fault. It's right on the back end of the engine lined up with the back of the cab where rain could actually run down on to it. So, this made sense.

Yesterday I took the valve apart and cleaned it up nicely. It did have a bit of crap on it that could have stopped it moving in and out but nothing too bad. The throttle body and other parts either side were actually reasonable clean considering too. Certainly not crapped up enough to stop anything working. The engine is still not working.

The MAF sensor is good. When the engine is running it pulls really nicely. Besides I think this would only lead to poor operation and not sudden cutting out.

Anyone got any ideas what I could investigate to get further on this? (Apart from moving to a nice dry & warm country...). I love my Dyna. It's a great little truck and perfect for my business.

Gonna go out there now with a hair dryer and blow some nice warm air on the plastic switch on the back of the valve and see if this helps..