Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris 2.2 D4D Sr180 - Owner's Opinions

AFCB

Hi all,

I am not yet an owner of this lovely vehicle but I am seriously thinking buying one.

I like it's lines and the engine is very appealing.

Would like to ask the owners of this car what your thoughts are about this vehicle, and perhaps ina few weeks I might become part of the owner's group with a true example :fireman:

How is it like to drive?

What sort of mpg do you get?

What is the range of a full tank of diesel?

Common problems?

Most Appreciated

Andre

Search for the problems that you can get with these Polish build 2.2 AD engines b4 you go out and buy one🚜💨🙈🇬🇧

Search for the problems that you can get with these Polish build 2.2 AD engines b4 you go out and buy one

oh god, have you been having lots of issues?

HG going meaning new engine! Carbon build up leading to oil use! Toyota have a goodwill 7 year 112k goodwill to cover these issues! Search for member "CharlieFarley" and read all about the 2AD power unit found in your car and the Rav/ Avensis ect! You might change your mind! ⚠👀🚗💨

• Like 1

You'll always get folk who've had bad experiences with all makes and models of car so here's my 10 bob's worth. I regularly changed my cars over many years - usually every 18 months to 2 years (it became a family joke). I've had my SR180 coming up 4 years now and still love it - and no plans to change it. It's great to drive and you can just revel in the massive torque which makes it smooth and comfortable. Since putting in a Lindop tuning box I'm getting 45-46mpg ( 37ish before) and enjoying a much wider torque band and improved power. 1st and 2nd gears are pretty rubbish - pulling away only - but once in third and above the thing really flies. I've also changed the audio which, to be honest, was pretty mediocre.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a boy racer but I do like getting up to speed quickly and my Auris fits my driving style perfectly. No problems mechanically other than some squeeling brakes which were fixed under warranty. The car has been looked after by RMB Teesside who have done a great job. What more can I say except it has turned out to be the best choice I have made in a car.

Do yourself a favour and get one

• Like 2

Thanks for a good reply

The 37ish mpg you where getting initially were a bit low, what sort of driving do you do?

The other option I have in mind is the Fiat Bravo with the 2.0 mjet 165cv.

How many miles has yours got?

Thanks again

I've posted this before, so it's just a copy and paste but...

Buying tips..

Don't buy this car if:

- You're expecting good fuel economy. The majority on here, including myself average mid 30's mpg. On a run I average about 41mpg. There are exceptions to this however which have been posted on here. - Update: Since I've had my new engine installed under the goodwill warranty I'm getting 38-41mpg (mixed, urban and A road driving)

- You're expecting hot hatch handling - because it's not and it isn't suppose to be.

I'm not in anyway saying this is a bad car, just it's a bit.. bland. It does the job, without fuss.

I like how:

- It's spacious

- It's well engineered compared to my previous french car

- It's a sleeper, it can surprise many... many cars out on the road

- It's sort of well built

My opinion:

- Driving position is so high up, makes it easy to get in and out of the car I guess!

- Steering is too light

- Handling is rather soft, even though the ride at times can appear to be rather hard?

- Rattles... interior rattles everywhere!

- Comparing this Auris to my previous 2004 Megane, it's not very refined on the motorway

- I have faith that it won't break down even though I've had a fair share of niggles and faults

- Servicing is cheap at Toyota compared to other marques - remember there's no timing belt to change as it's chain driven!

- Toyota UK and my dealer have looked after me well, which to me would make me recommend the Toyota brand

- This French designed, British built car doesn't have that solid feel of older japanese cars like the Corolla

- Comparing the interior to say, a VW, my mindset is that the money has gone into the engineering and not to make it look all fancy and plush inside.

I did my research before I bought this car, so for me I'm happy with my car therefore I would give it the thumbs up.

• Like 1

Thanks for a good reply

The 37ish mpg you where getting initially were a bit low, what sort of driving do you do?

The other option I have in mind is the Fiat Bravo with the 2.0 mjet 165cv.

How many miles has yours got?

Thanks again

I currently have about 48000 on the clock having bought the car with a little under 10000 showing. Two best things I have done are to thoroughly clean the EGR and fit the tuning box (extra £40 on the insurance)

I drive around locally these days and mpg takes a hit. Low 40's rose to 45 on a round trip of 90 miles on dual carriageways and A roads. I have been accused of having a heavy right foot as I do like to get up to speed quickly and I'm more than happy to use the performance on offer. As a previous poster has stated it is not a hot hatch by any means but from experience the SR180 is quite rapid when the accelerator is used enthusiastically in anything above second gear and can leave many other road users trailing

I've no experience with your other choice but a brief flirt with Fiats a good few years ago has left me with the impression that Toyotas are a a good way ahead of that make in terms of build quality and subsequent resale values.

As previous posters have suggested, this is a car which really suits some people but not others. I bought mine because I liked the spec, the colour, the shape & the engine performance. I also needed a diesel because of all my commuting miles. After 2 years of ownership I can honestly say I'm very pleased with the SR.

It accelerates very well from 3rd gear onwards (deliberately restricted in 1st & 2nd to save from excessive driveline wear), it's comfy for longer trips, well-equipped & rides nicely (that's with Eibach Pro-kit springs on too, which reduce corner roll).

I wouldn't buy this model if you do a lot of short, cold stop/start journeys or the car didn't have a full service history. The warranty covers most of the potential engine problems (except the EGR needing a good clean periodically).

So far, it's been one of the best cars I've ever owned & I've had a few over the years :)

P.S. I get around 44 MPG overall in the warmer months & 39 MPG in the winter. That's because of the heating, lighting & extra fuel used on cold starts. You have to remember this is a 2.2 litre engine with massive torque.

I can back most things up that have already been covered regarding performance and fuel consumption. I would add at motorway speeds and longer journeys my car has crept up to the low 50s MPG with a little restraint, but this makes you less guilty the next time you give it the beans!

Again to reiterate this is not a car I would recommend for short stop start journeys, having said that this equally applies to all diesels but the Auris will punish you with low 30s MPG or less in really cold weather if not thoroughly warmed up probably 10 - 15 journeys.

I have owned mine since March 2009 it had covered 12k upon purchase and has now added another 60k miles and still runs like a peach.

I have had mine regularly serviced and will keep it for a while longer yet.

The 7 years / 112k engine warranty gives peace of mind if things should go wrong.

The problem will be what will offer the same performance, total cost of ownership package?

Newer diesels are cleaner though and appear on paper to offer improved MPG but Toyota still take some beating on their overall dealer / support packages.

Answers on a postcard!

Pete

I don't think you'd be able to find another oil burner with the T-180 power and lovely sounding grunt! Yes... There are newer diesels on the market that give better mpg round town! But at a price! I'd prefer to spend my money at the pump! Rather than in the metal...

I'm glad that my commute to work takes a good 30 mins and takes in some national speed limits to get the engine and cat up to temp. :)

Had mine since March. Love it. Ive chipped mine and a K & N Filter (panel) and it flies! Over 200BHP now! Its a superbly fast engine. I love it cos its a little understated, and suprises a lot of drivers. Its also subtly sporty. Anyone who knows anything about diesels will know that this little car is about as quick as a Golf GTD....

Engine - very fast (chip it, its worth it 1st and 2nd are now far livelier - it was a very boomy power before so you got a huge wallop between 2000 and 4000rpm and not much before or after, now its great from around 1700-4500!

Looks - subtly sporty and purposeful without being boy racerish

Comfort - Im 6ft and its lovely and comfortable. Great family car being ever so slightly bigger than a Golf of the same era. Bigger boot too....But it feels like a smaller car, due to short bonnet I guess.

Cornering - very good, little roll good grip

Interior style/dashboard LOOKS good

Solid Toyota build quality

Dislikes!

Squeeky !Removed! drivers seat,

Plastics on the dash are cheap.

Suspension too wallowy over undulating roads. Needs to be tighter to be a proper hot hatch.

Economy - well I had a 2.5V6 Mondeo before, and Im only filling up 2x a month now instead of 3....however, Im only getting around 30-32mpg with urban driving around outer London. Wifes 2.0 140bhp Golf gets around 38 for the same kind of driving, but its not as fast obviously.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have been interesting in a t180/ sr180 but have been put off by reports of engine problems and notice the 7 year / 180k km Toyota 'warranty' due to excessive carbon build up in egr/ piston crown etc.

However, I have been researching new product called TerraClean which seems to tackle these problems - ed China on Wheeler Dealer TV was very positive about this product.

Anyone got any comments or has used TerraClean?

Also, anyone got knowledge of the strength of the transmission as probably would get a lindop/ parts king tuning box.

Best wishes,

John

No - I don't do sufficient mileage to warrant a diesel

• 1 year later...

Hi just joined I'm a owner of sr 180 motorsport in lovely white so far the car is lovely wasn't looking for one but it caught my eye an 8k later she's mine lol after looking through these forums decided to put straight through exhaust from dpf back from longlife fitted in middle like vxr an it makes a nice sound after 2500 I've also fitted a k an n panel filter thinking about chipping an advice on this will be appreciated if I should or not thanks nathan

Hi just joined I'm a owner of sr 180 motorsport in lovely white so far the car is lovely wasn't looking for one but it caught my eye an 8k later she's mine lol after looking through these forums decided to put straight through exhaust from dpf back from longlife fitted in middle like vxr an it makes a nice sound after 2500 I've also fitted a k an n panel filter thinking about chipping an advice on this will be appreciated if I should or not thanks nathan

Hi, it's worth getting a lindop box just for the improved driveability.

Enjoying the driving experience so far, driving down to Le Mans for the 24hrs next week.

Going to be interesting to see how the Toyota hybrid competes with the audi's, porsche's and new nissan lmp1

+1 for the Lindop box. Top piece of kit and it expands the torque range to make the SR180 much more driveable. Improves mpg significantly as well.

Looking forward to a strong showing from Toyota at Le Mans this year. Should be a classic with Nissan there as well.

Wish I was going!!!!

• Like 1

Yeah cheers fella looking at it the lindop seems to be the one of choice on here so il look into that I think it's my first diesel an I'm enjoying it go as far as saying seems more torquer than my old gc8 impreza lol thinking of putting 18s on her aswell an then she done

Hi, take a look at eBay item 161720731192 you might just find a bargain and it's identical to lindop device

I'm getting some Eibach spacers for my birthday, there are two types does any know about the difference and which I should go for? Just the 15mm I think is all that is necessary to make it look nicer?

I've ran lindop box tunit and blue spark and would say any of those on my 2.0 I tried a couple of other brands but came back to bluespark just because of price