Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Brake Upgrade

chii

Hi, i purchased a 2009 1.0L iq last week.....i want to upgrade the brakes..... can someone point me in the right direction.

Anyone experienced fensport discs and pads? Are they any better than oem brakes?

Can i also get braided brake lines for the IQ? Something like HEL or goodrich.

Any links will be great.

Also will lowering the car cure the horrendous body roll when cornering? or will i need coilovers?

I also got 227miles from my first tank.....filled up 29 litres when i picked it up last week .....then filled up 27 litres today. All town driving....does this sound about right? Averaging 38mpg on iq display.

Thanks

Chi

IQ brakes, when operating properly, seem to me to be perfectly fine and not in need of expensive "upgrades".

If you find yours are not performing well maybe they need to be checked before you start making modifications.

You don't really want to start messing about with brake specifications on a vehicle with ABS and stability control systems, the poor old ecu could get a bit confused!

John

To add to my previous post (for some reason my "edit" button isn't working!) , I intend to fit "better" discs and pads to mine when the time comes, as my discs, at the back anyway, have a bit of a "lip" and will need to be replaced at some point.

I wouldn't call that an upgrade though, just an improvement!

John

I agree with John - My view re IQ brakes, I have had cars with much better brakes, however considering that the IQ is a small town car and it's intended use, I think the standard brakes are good enough,

After reading this brake upgrade post I took mine for a high speed blast and did some severe brake testing and came to this conclusion.

Biggest issue I have with braking is the fact that the iQ is a light weight car and is fitted as standard with hard compound and narrow Eco tyres.

I find it very easy to lock the wheels when braking which results in the ABS cutting in and doing it's thing.

Don't think I drive like that all the time though, I don't! Just the few occasions when I have needed more brakes than normal I have always locked the wheels so hard to see how you could improve them.

Will be interesting when I get some wider, grippier tyres on the car next spring.

Craig.

Well Craig, If the IQ is driven well within its design limits regarding all aspects of braking / speed / handling etc,, you should never have a problem, except in the cases of "Emergency" braking or maneuvers that are normally only needed in "defensive situations" and then just allow the ABS and electronic stability controls to do what they are designed for.

Under normal circumstances on our UK roads with UK driving standards this is going to be highly infrequently in my view.

If you wish to often exceed these design parameters on a regular basis with your driving style, them perhaps you should consider a "upgrade" to cope with it all or a completely different vehicle that is more suited to your driving style and use.

Of course I am just an OAP so maybe thats just the way I think now !

Try reading the bit of my post that says the few occasions!

I do drive safely and do drive in the limits of the vehicle but if you try to lock the wheels up it can be done very easily meaning the brakes are more than adequate for the job. I have had a "few" emergency stop situations in the last two years where this has occurred but the car has always stopped safely in a reasonable distance.

My last vehicle was a Range Rover and with 8" wide tyres and 2 tons sitting on them it was near enough impossible to lock the wheels, it simply stopped on the spot!

Craig.

The iQ does have 'Brake Assist' (not sure if all models have it). If I remember correctly the system will apply more pressure to the brakes than the driver if the system thinks it is necessary.

Hi all

I have never been able to get my car to Lock up but maybe its because of the 215's on it

David

I do think the standard tyres lack grip somewhat.

I have the iQ3 so running the original 175/60 16 Bridgstone B-250 tyres and as well as braking it's really easy to spin the wheels in the wet. I think all the times I have noticed skidding or ABS use has been in the wet too.

I have a set of 17" wheels in the garage waiting to be refurbished then I can fit 205-45-17 tyres to the car in the spring. I am thinking of going for Toyo T1-R tyres as I have had good results from them in the past on a couple of different cars. My dad runs them on his Merc SLK and I have them fitted to my Cobra. Even with 450bhp in the front it's not easy to wheelspin that, it just digs in and goes!

Craig.

My wheels will only lock up for a moment when driving slowly and then braking very hard on very loose gravel.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links