Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Run Flats - Help Please!

Jamie1978

Hi, just purchased a Rav 4 T-180. Aware of the issues with wheels/tyres intend to change to standard tyres but would still like to have a spare, boot space is a big requirement as have 2 dogs/pram... Have seen mentioned on here and in other places that a Honda space saver will fit.

Could anyone please advise me on specifically which space saver this.

Many thanks

Jamie.

Much information here Jamie.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/133751-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-bsr-system-runflats/

Some of us have carried a full sized spare in the load area but the !Removed! things are very heavy and take up a lot of space...

I carry a good repair kit and compressor under the boot floor.

Never heard of anyone fitting a Honda space saver or any other for that matter.

The very latest cars have an option of a space saver so one of those may be an option..

Thanks for your reply.

What repair kit / compressor would you advise? I'm aware I cannot use the tyre gunk unless prepared to damage the sensors.

Belt and braces eh!

That's looks a much better alternative to the gunk stuff, which everybody has in the boot but few would probably know how to use.

I've used the gunk once on a tubeless wheelbarrow tyre..it made a right old mess and didn't work very well either.

Have you actually tried the dynaplug Martin? Would it be easy to use at the roadside.

Belt and braces eh!

That's looks a much better alternative to the gunk stuff, which everybody has in the boot but few would probably know how to use.

I've used the gunk once on a tubeless wheelbarrow tyre..it made a right old mess and didn't work very well either.

Have you actually tried the dynaplug Martin? Would it be easy to use at the roadside.

Never used it but it really doesn't look too difficult and as others have said I wouldn't want to put gunk in to these run flats

I carry a high quality 12V compressor. Its far better than the ones found in most repair kits... Those black plastic ones are hopeless..

I have the green slime repair kit .This stuff will not ruin the tyre like most gunk based stuff but not sure about the sensors..

I also carry a string repair kit like this one in the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-WITH-10-STRINGS-NEW-LINE-/130497125304?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item1e623c1bb8

Also have the very best RAC cover in case none of the above works....

I have in the past used the strings to repair a badly damaged trailer wheel and once on a tractor.. Both times had great results. In both cases the tyres were repaired permanently at a tyre depot but Im assuming we are talking getting out of the carp here ?

There is of course NO substitute for a spare wheel but space and effort is required..

Belt and braces eh!

Never used it but it really doesn't look too difficult and as others have said I wouldn't want to put gunk in to these run flats

Confused ? Why would we need to put gunk in a run flat ? I thought the OP meant how to prepare for a puncture After he has changed to conventional tyres but retaining the TPMS sensors ?

Of course, one of the problems with Toyota run-flats (AND space-saver spares) is the limited speed and distance you can travel with them. Speed is not a great issue, but only being able to travel a maximum of 50 miles can be a major problem as I would not be surprised if the majority of the country is further then 50 miles from a suitably equipped Bridgestone repair facility.

Don't space savers have a similar kind of distance limit?

Of course, one of the problems with Toyota run-flats (AND space-saver spares) is the limited speed and distance you can travel with them. Speed is not a great issue, but only being able to travel a maximum of 50 miles can be a major problem as I would not be surprised if the majority of the country is further then 50 miles from a suitably equipped Bridgestone repair facility.

Don't space savers have a similar kind of distance limit?

Yes they do David.... about the same distance and speed as a run flat tyre...

You simply cannot beat a proper full sized spare wheel but bureaucracy dictates it adds to much weight to the car and manufacturer's refuse to listen to their customers..

• Like 1

WHO IS THIS SOLDIER.........?

You are out there.......I just know it.......but you are too shy to come forward.........you are that person who actually travelled 50 miles at 50mph on a deflated Runflat Tyre........and at the end of it, the nearly new tyre you had coincidentally fitted just the week before was undamaged, totally intact, and only needed the £50.00 repair at Mr. T.

Please make yourself known to us who changed these Runrats, so that we may reproach ourselves for doing away with such an admirable system................yep.........signing off........flying pigs to catch.........

I carry one of these in addition to my spare wheel just in case I get more than 1 puncture :thumbsup:

http://www.dynaplug.eu/index.html

It looks too easy and good to be true.

I think Chalie's sugestion looks safer.

Anyway thank you both for bringing another solution to my broblems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links