Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check 4 X 4 System

mole147

Re: Rav 4, 2.0 vvt-i xt5 auto, 2007

Hi Everybody,

I have just tried to start my Rav 4 (which has not been used for a week) and when i press the start button it makes a peculiar clicking sound and display says check 4 x 4 system. I had the car serviced about 6 weeks ago. Has anyone any idea what the problem is?

Thanks in anticipation

..........and the next wee bit of moler extraction, mole..........does it turn over on the starter, or is that all ye get, what you have describeded.........? Need input........

Edit........overlapped wiff Davrav min.....

Just another point it is not like the clicking sound of an old defunct starter motor it`s much deeper. I drove 150 miles in one go last week everything was fine but I haven`t used the car since.

I`ll go and have a look in a minute. If I have to change Battery are there any precautions I have to take concerning cars computer?

Are the headlamps nice and bright? With the lights on, try to start the engine - do the lights dim to almost nothing? If so - either the Battery is flat or theres a loose / bad connection - usually the Battery terminals. Often - the start of cold weather is enough to kill off a Battery that previously appeared OK.

Looks like you are all right. Headlights very dim and get dimmer when trying to start. Next question where is the best place to pick up a new Battery.

Toyota can be quite competetive on price but not sure how long their warranty is on batteries.

Will have a scout around. Thanks for all help everyone. Any more advice on where to get or which Battery could you please let me know.

You could try Europarts http://www.eurocarparts.com/. I believe others have bought the Bosch Battery. Is your car diesel or petrol? The diesel needs a beefier Battery - others will advise but they will need to know what model you have.

David

It`s a 2007 Rav 4 xt5 auto. Are there any radio codes or anything like that I should be aware of?

No radio codes......get another Battery linked for a jumpy........if it starts, your Battery either flat or gubbered.

Halfords, bless their little cotton socks, gave me a good deal and a 3 year guarantee for £79.00, same car as yours.

Sometimes a Battery can pack up with no warning as mine did in July. I had spent 4 weeks touring France with the caravan. Returned home and all had been fine, left the car on the drive for 2 days and when I went to start it the Battery was dead. Had it checked out and had it replaced by Mr T at a cost of £106 with a 5 year guarantee.

Doesn't the display always show "CHECK 4X4 SYSTEM" during and immediately after starting the engine ? Or has mine (2010 4.3 D4D manual) been wrong for the past 3 and a half years ?

...........and it usually does in the event of about 200 other faults.

I searched around for a new Battery, they ranged from £45 to over £100 but the only problem was none of them fitted properly, all of them were 20mm too high so that the lock bar at the top would have to be modified (bent). I decided to ring local Toyota garage (Dingles Norwich) and they had one the exact size for £88, I went and picked it up yesterday, put it in, fits perfectly and now the car goes like a dream. The only thing I lost was the time!! I was quite surprised the sat nav even kept phone information and recent destinations in the memory. Once again thanks for all the help and advice.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links