Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Petrol V Diesel Dilemma

antony12

Hi

I have a 2008 Avensis 1.6L Aura. It has very low mileage (19000Kms). I have been in
discussions with my local Toyota Dealer with a view to purchasing a new 2014
model. The range of models here (Rep of Ireland) is quite limited. The dealer has
suggested that I might consider a 2.0 D diesel model. He says that there is a
big swing away from petrol to diesel models in Ireland. However given my small
annual mileage (mostly short local trips) I feel that a diesel model would be
very unsuitable due to possible DPF/DMF issues. The range of petrol Avensis models
available here is limited to 1.6L Terra/Aura/Strata/Luna only. All other Avensis
models are diesel.

I wonder what the members of the forum feel about petrol versus diesel for low mileage
driving? I would be very pleased to receive any suggestions which would help me
in coming to a decision on the model.

Antony12

• Like 1

Low mileage = petrol in my view. Yes diesel offers better mpg but only when the thing is rolling along. If you do low mileage then a greater proportion will be stop-start motoring and getting the best out of a big diesel lump will be tricky.

Conventional wisdom is that you need to e doing about 20k miles a year to justify a diesel - but I don't know whether that is still true of modern ones.

If there is a 1.6 twin turbo diesel then that might be good but, because I don't need a new car (yet) I dunno if Toyota offer one.

Petrol is cheaper to buy; diesel goes further. There isn't a huge amount in it - but the maintenance costs may swing it.

Also, if more people are buying diesel cars their prices will be higher so you may save a bit on a petrol car - to offset any perceived extra cost of using petrol. There isn't a foolproof formula unfortunately - and your dealer will sell you what he has - because if he hasn't got it he can't sell it to you.

Its a bit of the old 'right tool for the job' thing I guess. Do you tow or carry heavy loads? What driving do you do - motorways or towns? Long infrequent journeys or lots of small ones? That sort of thing.

• Like 1

19000kms since 2008 means no more than 4000kms a year. With that sort of mileage then diesel is a definite NO. The purchasing/running costs don't add up and neither do the potential maintenance costs as you are aware. As Druid Boy says a salesman will always try to convince you that the car he's trying to sell you is the one you should have.

• Like 1

I too would go with a petrol considering your low annual mieage

• Like 1

Diesel can actually be worse for mpg than petrol for short journeys; To get the high mpgs you need to get the engine hot and put load on it. Cold engine and light load makes it bored and unhappy and it'll get full of soot and guzzle fuel.

For light use, a small petrol is better.

• Like 1

For that annual mileage I would go petrol.

Is buying a car in the North an option? The UK spec. 1.8 is very good & allows the option of the CVT auto if you wanted.

Iirc the UK warranty is also better (5 year/100K miles).

If buying privately I would also consider buying a late model used - let someone else take the big 1st year depreciation!

• Like 1

As a 2.2 D4D owner, without absolute doubt the petrol car is the car for you. The power of the 2.2 D4D (177) is awesome for overtaking and makes for effortless driving on the motorway, but the mpg isn't going to be lots worse on the petrol car and there is so much less stuff to go wrong (no dmf, dpf, turbo or injector problems). I have driven the 1ad engine 2.0 d4d (125) in an Auris and it certainly wasn't the quickest, so its bound to be sluggish in an avensis, as someone said above, it would be great if you could import a 1.8 valvematic. A nearly new uk spec 1.8 valvematic T4 Avensis would be cracking value for money and a lovely all round car.

Hi all

Many thanks
for your replies to my query on diesel v petrol cars. I note your comments and
would have to say that it is what my own thoughts are as well. However I am
glad to get independent comments as I had to listen to the dealer extolling the
virtues of diesel cars when I called to the showrooms. With my low annual
mileage it certainly does not make sense to go with a diesel model. As I mentioned
earlier the range of Avensis -models
here is limited to 1.6LTerra/Aura/Strata/Luna. I will have to go back to the
dealer and see if he is interested in selling one of the above models or if in fact he pleads unavailability/delivery
problems. I may well have to look at other car models..Ford/Nissan etc.

It is encouraging that all the replies were similar …recommending petrol over diesel.
Regarding importing a car from the UK I’m not sure what are the practicalities
of this. I may examine the pros/cons of this if my Toyota deal proves
impossible.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my query.

Regards

Pensioner Pete

Also look at the Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSi - nice car and go really well - I drove the 1.4 TSI (122) in a mk6 Golf and it shocked how well it went!!

Hi

Just to reinforce your decision, I too was looking for a new car when I retired last year.

Having owned all the quality German diesel brands I was reluctant to give up the power of modern turbo diesels especially as my last car was a C220 with 170bhp engine that was great to drive. Anyhow common sense prevailed and I opted for a preregistered Avensis Tourer 1.8VVT with the CVT auto gearbox and I'm delighted. It no where near as quick as a turbo diesel but it's smooth,comfortable, spacious and returning around 36/43 mpg depending on driving style/journey profile.

Test one, I'm sure you will like it despite the reports of the motoring press who say i's dull! What do they know about average guys living on a retirement income.

Kind Regards

Got to agree with rogersp, I used to drive 5 series 3.0l diesels and thoroughly enjoyed them, my last car was was a Passat 170SEL as a change, then at 61 I was made redundant. It took a couple of years but then the trouble gained as my mileage reduced. The engine management light kept appearing and the DPF started to light up.

After many trips to the dealer having sensors replaced and the DPF 'cleaned' at horrendous cost and with the good possibility of having to replace the DPF at an even higher cost I decided to go petrol and now have a late 2011 Avensis Estate 1.8TR Manual. (Never liked autos) Saved a small fortune on servicing cost a bit more in fuel but overall the much better bet with peace of mind, as mentioned here much less to go wrong.

The only thing I really do not like is the Electronic brake as if it goes wrong that, it seems here, is expensive to fix.

Also another big cost in the Republic of Ireland is the very road tax and insurance hence the reason you have a 1.6 ltr Avensis and here in the UK we don't so this along with all the other comments I would also vote petrol.

Pete.

Having had several earlier petrol Avensis models I bought my first diesel, a 2.0 D4D Tourer in the spring. It was a pre-reg one from the local dealer.

I have just given up trying to get used to the diesel characteristics and have taken a bit of a financial loss to get back to a petrol one. I'm so happy with it.

OK I got 52.5 mpg from the diesel over 9,000 miles and I'm back to around 40 mpg with the petrol one, but the silence, lack of vibration and improved driving qualities make it all worthwhile. It's not quite so punchy when accelerating hard, but it's ultra smooth in all conditions. The lighter engine also improve the handling noticeably.

I was lucky to find a pre reg manual Icon in a dealer not too far away (there are not many petrol ones about, most are diesels) . Only 5 miles on the clock and 6 weeks since registration but saved £4,500 against the list price.

Go for petrol!

Hi

Just a short note to thank all those who replied to my original query on the “Petrol v Diesel Dilemma”.

I did not expect so many interesting views/comments on my “dilemma”. It is clear that given my low annual mileage that a diesel model is not really a realistic choice. My car has only just passed the 6 year MOT(with an “Advisory”on the tyres). However I must say that I am reconsidering my decision to purchase a new car. I think now that I will hold on to the Avensis and have it serviced on a regular time basis. Perhaps I may reconsider my decision to purchase a new car at the end of 2014.!

Again many thanks for all those interesting replies.

Merry Christmas and Happy Motoring in 2014

Antony12

It's a rare but nice occasion where everyone agrees rather than getting lots of conflicting info :D

• 2 months later...

Hi

I am facing a similar dilemma and reading the posts have made up my mind. I drive about 12k miles per year and had a Mazda5 diesel a few years ago which had dpf and injector problems. I am looking to buy an Avensis Tourer and didn't want to make the same mistake again. I've decided on the 1.8V-matic now.

Thanks

DBrock

Hi

Strangely enough before buying the Avensis I almost bought a Mazda 5 diesel as I was given all sorts of assurances about Mazda being different and the diesel would be OK for my driving profile.

Luckily I stumbled on a Campaign Mazda WS that highlighted all the issues with Mazda diesel cars, unbelievable and more so Mazda's attitude to people suffering from DPF problems, engine failure etc. When the sales guy followed up my visit to the dealership I highlighted the WS and the issues with DFPs, injector issues, engine failure etc., etc. To say he went quiet was an understatement then he said he'd never heard of any problems with Mazda diesel engine? What a complete liar!

Needless to say, as seen from my previous post, I went with the Avensis Tourer 1.8vvt and could not be more pleased. What a jewel of a car

If you get one you will enjoy relaxed motoring!

I could go on for pages about the Mazda diesel but I won't, just glad I got rid. You had a lucky escape!

I'm looking for a TR spec on a 09/10 plate preferably with Nav and Privacy Glass. I test drove a 2.2 D4D at a main dealer on Tuesday. Lovely car but no Nav or Privacy Glass. I'm looking forward to finding the right one.

I have a 1.8 cvt auto which I use for local running, a lot of my trips out are often only 3 to 8 miles ,I kept a check on it and in the last 2000 miles I have averaged just under 39 MPG. Petrol for me ever time.

I have a 1.8 cvt auto which I use for local running, a lot of my trips out are often only 3 to 8 miles ,I kept a check on it and in the last 2000 miles I have averaged just under 39 MPG. Petrol for me ever time.

39 mpg !!!!!!!!!

Thats exceptionally good.

Well done