Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wobbly Steering Wheel

Fodfather

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of a usually superb 2004 Yaris T-Spirit.

I've owned it a few years without issue.

Recently the steering wheel has started to "wobble" side to side and it has got progressively worse, culminating in quite a vigorous shake which now causes the whole car to wobble. I am taking to the garage tomorrow but I just wondered what the hell has happened!? Is it the tracking? My wife drove it slowly today in a car park and the steering wheel was moving from side to side like an invisible man was driving it!!!

Cheers

Assuming no bad noise it sounds like a tracking issue, it's so easy to misalign, just a quick bump to a kerb and it's out of balance.

Good luck and welcome to the club... Enjoy :driving:

Thank You Raistlin. Got a trusted mechanic to go to so I am hoping he can sort it. Read a few threads and the vibration through the steering column does seem to be consistant with front wheel inbalance. We'll see, thanks again.

Front wheel imbalance tends to show up when you go above a certain speed and manifests as a rapid shaking/juddering of the steering wheel; If the steering wheel is wobbling even at low speed, it's more likely a problem with the steering geometry (e.g. the tracking) or there is an issue with one or both of the wheels; Maybe some tyre damage or runout. Check the bolts/nuts on the wheels are tight and secure.

If your mechanic is not very close to you I would ask him to check it out at your house as this could be potentially very dangerous!

Pete.

People often think tracking or wheel balance, but you should also check each tyre thoroughly. A quick bump in a pot hole or kerb edge can damage the cords and wires inside the tyre, check for lumps and bumps on the sidewalls and tread separation

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links