Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Be Damned....

firemac

Does anyone know what difference there is between

Mobil 1 ESP 5W/30 and

Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5w/30, which is about half the price of the ESP ?

Both are listed as OK for my RAV on two different web-sites. The Super 3000 is the one that my local MrT has given me.

Any advice gratefully received.

MSDS Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30
High performance motor oil
Product Description
Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 is a high performance motor oil designed for use in petrol and diesel engines that are specifically designed to use a low viscosity (HTHS) motor oil.
Features and Benefits
Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 provides the following features and benefits:

•Excellent oxidation stability to reduce engine deposits and sludge build-up and to help maintain engine cleanliness.
•Excellent high and low temperature properties to provide dependable wear protection across a wide range of driving conditions.
•Enhanced low temperature capabilities for outstanding cold weather starting.
•Helps in achieving fuel economy (as per ACEA A5/B5).
Applications
Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 can be used in a variety of petrol and diesel automobiles, light trucks and vans designed for use of a low viscosity (HTHS) motor oil.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:
ACEA A5/B5

Typical Properties

Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 53
cSt @ 100º C 9.8
Sulphated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.8
Phosphorous 0.05
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 192
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.85
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -39

From the Mobil website:

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-super-3000-x1-formula-fe-5w30.aspx#

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1-esp-formula-5w30.aspx#

From your owners manual, does your Rav need a low ash oil (ACEA C2 or C3)?? If so, from the info above, the Mobil 1 seems more suitable.

Izzit just me? Should it not say C2 /Low Ash or sumfink.........?

The ESP is the very low ash. It stands for Emmission System Protection. I would highly recommend this for any D-CAT engine or later models (facelifted 4.3s from June 2010) as they have a DNPR.

Thanks, Guys, for all the comments.

Interestingly, further trawling of the web shows ESP at £38 for 5 litres delivered.

Not bad, eh?

Interestingly, further trawling of the web shows ESP at £38 for 5 litres delivered.

Not bad, eh?

How far away from me (Barry South Wales) are you? I have 20L of the stuff for sale...

Not bad, eh?

How far away from me (Barry South Wales) are you? I have 20L of the stuff for sale...

Tim......he's an accountant.......if ye ask for £153.00 he will smell a rat.......LOL.

The ESP is the very low ash. It stands for Emmission System Protection. I would highly recommend this for any D-CAT engine or later models (facelifted 4.3s from June 2010) as they have a DNPR.

Swore blind ah would NEVER post on a thread to do with types of oil, easily the most confusing Rav subject (apart from why rear view cameras are so popular ffs.....). I was convinced all I had to do was look for a Star Wars character, C2/C3, noo we have another thing to look out for, Extra Sensory Perception, very handy when shopping for Rav engine oil.

Thanks to Don for making me buy enough correct oil for next 4 oil changes...........that is what keeps me sane.

My last ever post on an oil thread......lol.

Kev, would you pm me with the oil that you're using. Looking to buy some engine oil, and reading engine oil threads has got me as confused as a very confused man at a confused RAV4 owners convention!

A wee bit of sanity would be very welcome.

Cheers.

.......and 20% off if purchased from Opie Oil this month if my memory serves me well???

EDIT Hes the link http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/153803-20-off-everything-use-voucher-sale20/ Lots of bargains to be had

Kingo :thumbsup:

Edited by Parts-King

Kev, would you pm me with the oil that you're using. Looking to buy some engine oil, and reading engine oil threads has got me as confused as a very confused man at a confused RAV4 owners convention!

A wee bit of sanity would be very welcome.

Cheers.

Yours is the most straight forward, Arfa.........5w/30 semi synthetic, and due to the little usage yours gets, no need to buy the best oil available. Just change it before each winter you use the car for.

Much to Anchorman's chagrin, due to having lots of 0w/30 in stock, I have just put it into wifes petrol vvti Rav. Cannot detect much running difference, but cold starts even easier. (Was always good.) Somewhat overkill, but the released funds went towards anurra five litres of expensive emulsion......

........wife convinced Santa will not enter a house which does not smell of new paint........nutter.......

My toyota dealer is the same, the parts guy claims he has been trained in oil by toyota - but insists on giving the 5w30 FE A1 oil for a 2.2 D-CAT 180, which is incorrect. I have asked toyota/lexus directly and they have said only to use C2 low ash oil - use 5w30 or 0w30 C2 spec carlube or the likes from eurocarparts for £4.80 a litre from eurocarparts (with discount) rather than use the Mobil Super 3000. I'm currently using Shell Helix Ultra Extra C2/C3 5W30, just over a tenner per litre with discount from eurocarparts. The Mobil 1 ESP is great stuff as well.

For the vvti, as said 5w30 A1 oil would be perfect, toyotas 5w30 FE oil is normally cheap as chips from dealers.

Not bad, eh?

It would be a bit of a trek, Taff, as I'm in S. Cheshire (5 mins from J16 M6). Much as I'd love a run out to S. Wales, time & fuel costs wouldn't justify it.

Many thanks for the thought though :thumbsup:

Telt ye Tim......he will have worked it oot by Sat Nav and Current Cost Accounting.

Witheld.......

Telt ye Tim......he will have worked it oot by Sat Nav and Current Cost Accounting.

Witheld.......

Sat Nav? Way too expensive. If OS was good enough for my father......

Not bad, eh?

BK and me have the 0W/30 version which is much more expensive. It is what is fitted in the factory of the new "Optimal Drive" rated vehicles and these auto's need all the help they can get with fuel consumption. For anyone running a none Optimal Drive vehicle, the 5W/30 ESP is perfect. On the attached info sheet, click the tablets to navigate around the page.

http://helenconnolley.munkyserver.com/images/work/flash/MotorOil.swf

Kingo, what would you charge for the indicated 5l of 0W/30TGMO oil?

Not bad, eh?

It would be a bit of a trek, Taff, as I'm in S. Cheshire (5 mins from J16 M6). Much as I'd love a run out to S. Wales, time & fuel costs wouldn't justify it.

Many thanks for the thought though :thumbsup:

Not a problem mate :)

Witheld.......

Lol... The old saying springs to mind! Look after the pennies! And the pounds look after themselves :)