Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Average Mpg Stuck At 60Mpg

architectfadi

Hi All,

I have come across this forum when I was looking at buying an IQ and found it very useful and helpful.

I bought my car from a Toyota dealer few weeks now and really enjoying it. I drive an IQ2, 5-speed manual gearbox with a 1 litre engine. In the last couple of days I have noticed that the average MPG indicator does not go over 60mpg. I was driving the car for over 20 miles at 50mph on fifth gear and the indicator would not go over 60mpg. Is this normal? Do other IQ owners get the same thing?

Very grateful for any comments.

Hi Raistlin. I am not sure if stopping at 60mpg is normal as Toyota's figure are 65mpg combined. Some IQ drivers average more than 60mpg and I think I was expecting it to go higher that 60mpg.

As its new you will find that it will get better, It needs to wear in and you get the feel of it.

Manufacturers figures are set in an ideal world, it's unfortunate that we don't live in it ...

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, Should have been clearer. The car is a 59 plate.

You are right, the car is new to me and I need to get used to it

No, It will go higher than 60mpg. The real time display will go over 60mpg all the time but there was an issue with the earlier cars that the display only read to 60mpg.

My iQ3 was the same and when I mentioned it to the dealer they offered to change the digital readout bit of the dash for a new version so my one now reads up to 99.9mpg. When coasting down hills or up to a junction the read out does go that high so It probably uses no fuel at all.

There are other people here that got their displays changed too but Toyota may be less willing to do it now on a car out of it's original warranty. Mine was two years old when I had it changed.

Another thing is when the display was changed the mile oddometer was re-set to zero. The mileage before the change was recoded by Toyota and written in the service manual so I know what the total is now.

It's a shame they didn't realise from original build that the display didn't read high enough for the car, Many 1.0 iQ owners here achieve over 60mpg You could ask the dealer and see if they would be willing to change it or simply ignore that bit of the display and work out the mpg the old fashioned way.

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

That is very helpful and useful to know. My car has a one-year warranty by Toyota so fixing it is not an issue. I will have a word with them in the morning.

Great advice Craig :)

As above really - my IQ only goes up to 60mpg as mines a 2009, doesn't bother me as I calculate it through Fuelly.com but can understand why people want it changed. It was a design flaw that earlier models can only go up to 60mpg as Craig's mentioned. I doubt too that your dealership will replace it free as it'll be out of the warranty period by now unless you have extended warranty. Then you should get it done if the case, just maybe print that link out to prove others have had this done to convince them to he the go ahead :)

Here is the thread about my car I started when I brought it. Page 3 and 4 has a bit of information on the display change and a picture of the display showing 9 miles on the clock! :)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/134890-an-iq-called-toya/

Craig.

Looking through your thread, very interesting modification :thumbsup: Also noticed that my IQ is from the same dealer, Motorline Horsham, which I am very happy with.

Yup, it is/was a well known fault.

My first IQ was a 58 plate which was one of the earliest into the UK and I took it straight back to the dealer the day after I bought it and asked them to fix the daft 60mpg readout.

That helped to start the ball rolling but many remain un-modified, which is also true of the EGR valve issue. But that is another story.

I had to wait a while for the fix as new display units had to be brought over from Japan.

John

I hope your claim goes through, as a warranty administrator the last time I tried to claim for this issue against an extended warranty it was rejected, as the extended warranty company do not class the reading limited at 60mpg as a part failure just a limitaton of the vehicle design and therefore not covered by a failed parts warranty.

Toyota themselves did not accept that it was a faulty part but did give special allowance to replace the part fitted to earlier cars with one fitted to later cars only whilst the car was under its original warranty & only if the dealer could prove that it was a genuine customer complaint.

Hi 'architectfadi.' I own a 59 plate 1.0 iQ also and, like others on here, had the computer changed due to the problem you have. Can't exactly recall when, but on a 74 mile trip I got up to 74mpg displayed. When I reached my destination it was on 70+, and more recently on the same distance journey (this was a few weeks ago) I got it up to 73.4mpg. Mind you, I was stuck in a long line of traffic and travelling at speeds up to 50mph for the first part. Even so, travelling at 70 on the dual carriageway up to Chester (A483) it was still around the 60mpg mark.

Another thing to consider is that , although it is probably limiting to 60 on my iQ, it is an auto so never reaches 60mpg so it is only the manual version where it is problematic.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the replies and apologies for replying sooner as I have been busy moving houses.

With regards to the display replacement, my Toyota dealer said that Its not under the main warranty so there is not much they can do about it, I wasn't happy at all and told them that others has their displays replaced at the same garage. My Toyota dealer came back to me and said that they will put a request to Toyota and try and get it replaced under my extended warranty.

Will update this thread as soon as I hear back

• 1 month later...

Finally, an update.

I know it took so long but finally, my Toyota dealer has replaced my IQ display under warranty and now the MPG readings go up to 99.

Good news, well persevered!

You will have a nice shiny "zero" miles on the odometer too, to start again from scratch. (with a note in the service handbook to that effect, I hope!)

John

Good news, well persevered!

You will have a nice shiny "zero" miles on the odometer too, to start again from scratch. (with a note in the service handbook to that effect, I hope!)

John

Yes, zero miles with the previous number of miles registered in the service book

• 10 years later...

It looks like the average mpg readout display on my car is one of the early ones that won't go above 60mpg. I discovered this when doing one of those wierd 'see how frugal I can be' experiments on the way home from the petrol station, the other day.

It doesn't bother me, because my general day-to-day driving style/environment will never allow me to get to 60mpg, let alone go above it.

I'm currently on 50mpg - exclusively urban driving. ...As my other car averages 19.6mpg, I think 50 is excellent.

• Like 2

I never knew it was possible to get the display to go beyond 60mpg... I always assumed that was a quirk of the iQ, which I've owned since new when they were first launched.

Will be asking the dealer next week about this... will make a case to get it replaced given I never knew to highlight the 'fault'. Suspect I'll end up having to ask Toyota HQ.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 6:52 PM, eein said:

I never knew it was possible to get the display to go beyond 60mpg... I always assumed that was a quirk of the iQ, which I've owned since new when they were first launched.

Will be asking the dealer next week about this... will make a case to get it replaced given I never knew to highlight the 'fault'. Suspect I'll end up having to ask Toyota HQ.

Good luck with that. Keep us posted on your progress. If you succeed I might tackle them too.

• Like 2