Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 Replacement Engine Failed.

mike xt-r

Hi, I was lucky enough to have a new engine from Toyota at 36k and and the new one has done 900 miles without fault, it used no oil or water and was running like a dream, quieter and around 4mpg better than the old one. Parked the Rav and all was fine, came to start it 4 hours later and its missing and knocking with an intermitant metalic screaching sound, not unlike stones in a cement mixer. Nothing can be done now until the dealer opens on monday, but just wondering if anybody has heard of this as I thought that the new engines had been trouble free, I will keep you posted on the outcome but any info would be great, thanks, Mike.

Nightmare, got my fingers crossed my replacement holds together.

B-A

Not sounding good! I'm sorry to say mate! I had 2 new engines in my T-180. Couldn't stand the worry anymore with it! So I got rid of it a few weeks back!...

Nightmare, got my fingers crossed my replacement holds together.

B-A

Me too!

On the face of it - it's a different problem to the original oil consumption / head gasket issue. Doesn't sound good, but I guess it's a case of waiting until the car is examined.

I don't see what can go while it is parked. I wonder if the HP pump or something fuel delivery has failed. I have heard engines miss and backfire down to fuel problems and fuel filters are back in the news. It can't harm to try one.

Hi, thanks for the replies, Yes Anchorman, the first thing I said to the wife was, "have you filled it up with petrol by mistake on the way home?" thankfully she hadn't so its not bad diesel either, Its just coming to the last quarter of its second tankfull since the engine replacement. The one thing that I asked to be changed at the time of the new engine was the fuel filter, and my first impression was that it was starving of fuel, until you give it any throttle and, then the most sickening metalic / knocking sounds arrive, my thoughts were that a valve, injector or heater plug had broke and dropped into the cylinder. I'd be amazed if a fuel filter could make it run that bad but I too read about the fuel damaging the filters in the news. I can,t see me getting a genuine filter until Monday so to save any warrenty issues I'll leave it with the dealer to pick it up as its safe at home and I,ve got the extended Toyota warrenty, thanks, Mike.

Yes, thats the best thing to do, especially since it has just been done.

keith

are you sure it hasnt run very low on oil? The dipsticks can be hard to read and the 2.2's generally like a drop of oil!

............not the wans that have been replaced and only doned 900 far king miles though.......!!!

Golly Gosh min.......

• Like 1

Hi, a little update.... the Rav went in today, so a quick response thankfully. To rule in/out the engine/fuel fault I started her up and at idle removed the oil filler cap and she was blowing like an old train (one for Anchorman), so that ruled out any fuel issues I'm afraid. No update from the dealer yet. I've been keeping an eye on the fluid levels and around 50 miles before this happened the oil level was sitting perfect and was still clean, I had run it in correctly and it was running perfect with no signs of a problem at all so this came as a complete shock, Mike.

The crankcase is kept at slightly negative pressure by the PCV system. When the oil cap is removed, the PCV system is overloaded and all you'll get is a pulsing phenomena created by the pistons going up and down - your observation is perfectly normal.

I had the engine replaced on my T180 in February, since then the car has been running as sweet as ever, it's quieter, more responsive and a little better on mpg. However, when I was filling the washer bottle up earlier I noticed that there were coolant statins over the left side of the engine!? Is this the start of another engine failure!?

Discharge of coolant is often associated with cylinder head gasket failure. However this may not necessarily be the case - a slightly overfilled coolant expansion bottle, for example, will lead to expulsion of coolant. In the short term, ensure that the expansion tank level is between max and min and mark the level with the engine perfectly cold. Re-check every few days and if the level shows any sign of dropping - get the car back to your Toyota dealer.

Cheers for advice, it's actually overfilled!

How do I drain it?

I wouldn't worry too much, it's not like overfilling a car with oil..leave it be and as long as it doesn't hit cold when the engine is cool.

Nah......see me....? See if ah had not PERSONALLY BEEN RESPONSIBLE for the overfilling with coolant, but it was indeed overfilled, yep.......ah would worry.......

Gav min.......are you responsible for said overfilling.....? Naw.....? Well how TF is it overfilled,.......?

If you are resonsible for the overfilling, that is why it is slashing aboot yer injun compartment.

Mr T done it when the done the engine replacement and only now noticed it!

Hi, a further uodate on the Rav engine, The dealer is fitting another new engine, so top marks to them and Toyota. Hi Gavin, It does sound like the begining of the head gasket again, hope its not though, but you have a years cover on the replacement engine, so keep an eye on it. Mike

Did they give any indication of what has failed - seems pretty drastic if they're going to replace the engine? Personally, I wouldn't be at all happy.

Charlie Farlie, had his first engine fail on him too, but that was ages ago.......and they STILL have it happening?

To me, that is FAULT AT THE DEALER more than likely in refitting engine, surely......?

Hi, a further uodate on the Rav engine, The dealer is fitting another new engine, so top marks to them and Toyota. Hi Gavin, It does sound like the begining of the head gasket again, hope its not though, but you have a years cover on the replacement engine, so keep an eye on it. Mike

Agree entirely, Mike..........Gav Rav........go see Santa's Grotto at your local Mr. T.........he has anurra new engine for you.

In the immortal words of The Moody Blues...........Go Now, min.........

• Like 1

Agree entirely, Mike..........Gav Rav........go see Santa's Grotto at your local Mr. T.........he has anurra new engine for you.

In the immortal words of The Moody Blues...........Go Now, min.........

"Go Now, min." Obviously the Scottish cover version? Missed that - pity......

• Like 2

It's a shame Charlie has gone (only just noticed) because he helped a lot of members on this matter.

• Like 3

A lot has happened in the last few days.

I suppose you could say that this all started when a moderator pointed out to Charlie the TOC rules regarding trading. He now posts regularly on another RAV forum. Hoovie also got banned by TOC Management as a result of the fallout..

I have resigned my post as a moderator as I cannot condone or agree to this action.

Edited by Red Yaris 54
Setting the record straight regarding actions taken
  • Like 1