Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Are These?

sushd

Re: recently acquired "used" iQ

I can't figure out what this is. Found it in the in-door storage area .... looks like it has broken off from somewhere ... but what / where?

20131214_184618_zpsf1ce531a.jpg

And, the following contraption is there above the passenger side seat belt outlet. Any idea what this is / could have been?

20131214_184745_zps0b99b0c2.jpg

20131214_184930_zps7416755c.jpg

TIA.

I think, but might be wrong as I've never seen one in full, but the first picture could be the front mat retaining clip. Some people manage to go through a few of these. Had my car just over two years and have been lucky so far.

I'm guessing the second picture could be a mounting plate for a Battery operated push light? Maybe the previous owner didn't think much of the stock interior light.

I agree with the mounting plate for an LED Battery light, the clip looks like part of the glove compartment catch...

There is no glove compartment on an iQ.

The black clip is a broken accessory carpet mat retaining clip for either front mats, the white one is probably for a clip on light or air freshener

LOL...

Reminds of of this cute video... from Jenna Marbles (we all know her)... :-)

Here:

• Like 1

So where do you keep your gloves...

• Like 1

Thanks!

The first one is indeed the retaining clip for the carpet mat on the driver side.

Whatever the other thing was, was an add-on by the previous owner - so going in the bin.

• Like 1

So where do you keep your gloves...

On your hands, of course ;)

• Like 1

Glove compartment??? I have a whole bag for much more.. LOL :-P

DSC06800.jpg

• Like 1

Put one of those on a US iQ and you are asking for a dead passenger if the airbag behind it blows...

We too have passenger airbags however they exit the dash through a preformed weakness in the upper dash avoiding the lower dash area where we can fit an accessory glove bag fixed using 4 pre fitted poppers

It's the place where the original glovethingie sits...so ..

And no airbag there at knee-hight.

As far as I know.. 0:)

The European iQ has 9 airbags... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_iQ

and

http://boronextrication.com/2011/01/2011-toyota-iq-and-scion-iq-body-structure-and-airbags/

Edited by sweet-dentist

Said so... Thnx Tarquin... :-)

DSC06800.jpg

That's cool. But leave it in the car in the UK and some meat-head will think it's a real ladies handbag stashed full of money or something to sell for drugs, smash the passenger window and cause you a whole lot of grief for nothing :(

But I do really like it :) if you can remember to remove it every time. Great idea Peter

LOL ... You are right about that.. this bag is from Cartagena de Indias in Colombia... sooooo... ;-)

But ... it is easy to remove ... just pull it upwards and it is loose ... and all that is left are two "hookthingies" ...

The making site is here: http://s676.photobucket.com/user/realbutcher/slideshow/iQ-tas-handschoenenvak-leer

I have made a new "man"bag for the car.. it needs only to put on hooks. But it's ready ...

Here the All New Man-Bag ... LOL :-D

DSC_1572_zps3cd6f269.jpg

DSC_1583_zps516c9766.jpg

The US iQ has knee airbags, with blowout panels down where that bag is hung. Different configurations with the same basic car...

• Like 1

I believe knee airbags are on driver's side only

Dave

• Like 1

Well... here some news :-/

Quote...

According to National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), the front passenger air bags in the vehicles are having difficulty to deploy when needed, or deploy in a wrong way, causing potential injury. The problem originates from a certain cable that could be damaged when the cars passenger seat is moved forward or backward.

Unquote.

here: http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/87314/toyota-recalls-scion-iqs-for-airbags

• 2 weeks later...

DSC06800.jpg

That's cool. But leave it in the car in the UK and some meat-head will think it's a real ladies handbag stashed full of money or something to sell for drugs, smash the passenger window and cause you a whole lot of grief for nothing :(

But I do really like it :) if you can remember to remove it every time. Great idea Peter

Peter, how have you attached this? You said you used two "hookthingies", but are they screwed into the snap-recess, or are they snap-on hooks?

I like this idea and might plagiarize it ;-)

I bought two metal hooks from the hardware store and screwed them in the plastic from the car. In that you can hook the plastic hooks that are "popped" on the bag.

The hard part is to screw something in the plastic of you car... for some that is " blasphemy" .... But it's JUST a car.... :-P

Here the making:

http://s676.photobucket.com/user/realbutcher/slideshow/iQ-tas-handschoenenvak-leer

And here the metal pieces in the plastic of the car...

DSC06799.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks so much Peter and sorry for the delay in responding. Haven't been around much and I hate surfing on the phone.

I've been through your pictorial concept and I like what you've done. You've now given me some ideas which includes NOT buying the standard kit from Toyota!

Great work, great individualism

Regards

Ian

Sorry, late to the party on this one. The US version of the iQ does indeed have knee level air bags on both driver and passenger sides. The lower dash panels have openings that allow the air bag to exit if deployed.

DSCN2007.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

Guess European knees are made of tougher stuff than our US counterparts. :D

Wonder why we don't get them?

I have the Toyota glove bag and think it's great, Holds everything I want in a secure, rattle free manner and no passenger has complained that it gets in the way. Matches the trim too. Got mine from eBay for around £40, they come up quite often on there.

Craig.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links