Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2013 Excel Hybrid - Poor Headlights

Phil L

I live in a rural area and have and in the last fortnight, completed severla long country drives with no street lighting. On one rare (for us occasion) we were on an unlit dual carriageway and dipping for on coming traffic at 60 or 70 mph plunges one into a 'black hole'

My headlight's performance is only 'just' average on main beam with good distance but scattered spread of light and down right dangerously poor on dipped beam, to the extent that my wife won't drive it on rural roads.

On unlit country roads in clear conditions, dipping the lights is akin to turning off the lights and you need to slow down as you plunge into a poorly illuminated pool of light....dangerous and tedious!

I have mentioned it to the service department at my very helpful dealership who appeared to acknowledge that there may be an 'issue' and will look at my car next week at its first service.

Has anyone else have the same issues or solutions please?

I will update you after my service.

many thanks

**********************************************  August 2016  *********************************************************

****  Mod edit - please see Devon Aygo's post of the 4th March on page 2 of this thread  ***

***************************************************************************************************************************

• Like 1

Can't you swap them for either Osram night breakers or Philips blue vison .

Both excellent bulbs...

From a previous topic the 2013 Auris uses HIR2 bulbs. The only manufacturer now is Philips - and there are no options for brighter bulbs.

Double check the level on your adjuster switch by your right knee, I was fiddling with my car when I was parked up once, and although it looks like the headlights are on 0, the switch had a bit more adjustment in it, and it projected the beam further. It might just be the levelling of the lights.

• Like 1

Still waiting for my new Auris to be delivered so cannot comment. Looks like it is fitted with projector type headlights - am I right?

Yes projector type units ...project in style only

in reply to Aceshigh84 thanks there is a slight movement under the '0' setting so will give this a try tonight. Also the dealer will be checking the headlight adjustment as well later this week.

I drove my new Auris in the dark a couple of days ago.

I compare the headlights to GLOW WORMS IN JAM JARS.

My last car had HID headlamps,when I first used them I though that I was in DAYLIGHT.

Are there no upgrades for the Auris?

Love the 'glow worms in jam jars' ..brilliant reply ...unlike our headlights !

The 2013 Auris retains the projector headlights of the 2007/2012 Auris.

HIR bulbs were originally made by GE and Toshiba - both stopped production a while ago. Only Philips produce the HIR2 bulbs which offer 25% more light (which presumably must be the bulbs in the Auris). Believe the HIR2 bulbs offer 75% of the light output of HID.

The only option for upgrades currently is HID, which I believe should have a lens washing set-up and self levelling in order to satisfy MOT requirements.

There are/have been similar topics on the IQ and Yaris clubs recently, which also have the HIR2 bulbs fitted (in the case of the Yaris, the Hybrid has HIR2's) - both topics appear to have reached the same brick wall of no upgrades being available currently.

In reply to FROSTYBALLS

Thanks

You appear to be well up on this Toyota 'defect' ...is there a minimum standard for headlight beam 'reach / light pattern'

The MOT guide appears to be ....'A pair of headlights must: emit light of substantially the same colour
and intensity. emit a steady colour of either white or yellow. be
visible from a reasonable distance' .

Have you challenged Toyota re this issue?

I find the hir2 bulb better than any other halogen bulb IMO. Ive tried fitting 9006 bulb in which you just need to make some adjustment on the tabs for it to fit but i still go back to hir2. Only way probably is to fit hid in.which the auris is not suitable coz of some.technicalities like having a self levelling system and washer. Maybe its a defective bulb try replacing it with a.new one and see.what happen and check the levelling system.

In reply to FROSTYBALLS

Thanks

You appear to be well up on this Toyota 'defect' ...is there a minimum standard for headlight beam 'reach / light pattern'

The MOT guide appears to be ....'A pair of headlights must: emit light of substantially the same colour

and intensity. emit a steady colour of either white or yellow. be

visible from a reasonable distance' .

Have you challenged Toyota re this issue?

No minimum standard for beam spread and range as far as I'm aware, aside from bulbs needing to be EU marked to be road legal.

I haven't got any need to challenge Toyota, as I don't have an issue with my headlights.The headlights of my 2012 Auris are fine - these have H11 bulbs and, as with my previous Auris and other cars, I have installed Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs. Considering fitting the Nightbreaker Plus Unlimited bulbs as these offer up to an additional +20% light over the Nightbreaker Plus bulbs, though no greater range.

There are bulbs on sale that produce a whiter light similar to HID bulbs but no greater light output or range - eg Philips Diamond Vision which are said to be the closest to the whiteness of HID bulbs, but which are not road legal in the EU.

Have a look at the following topics I mentioned:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/153903-hb4-9006-headlight-bulbs-instead-of-specified-hir2-9012/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/153247-yaris-hybrid-headlights/

The 2013 Auris retains the projector headlights of the 2007/2012 Auris.

HIR bulbs were originally made by GE and Toshiba - both stopped production a while ago. Only Philips produce the HIR2 bulbs which offer 25% more light (which presumably must be the bulbs in the Auris). Believe the HIR2 bulbs offer 75% of the light output of HID.

The only option for upgrades currently is HID, which I believe should have a lens washing set-up and self levelling in order to satisfy MOT requirements.

There are/have been similar topics on the IQ and Yaris clubs recently, which also have the HIR2 bulbs fitted (in the case of the Yaris, the Hybrid has HIR2's) - both topics appear to have reached the same brick wall of no upgrades being available currently.

Am I correct in thinking then, that the 2012 Auris is fiited with H11 bulbs, which can be upgraded , but the 2013 (latest shape) models get an H1R2 bulb which can't? Or is it just the Hybrid Auris that has poor headlights?

On the Autobulbsdirect.co.uk fitment guide, it shows both the 2012 (old model?) and the 2013 (new model)?) Auris (Hatch and Hybrid) having the same bulbs - H11 Dip and HB3 Main. Can't see any reference to the H1R2.

All very confusing to an old petrol head.

Yes the first generation Auris was fitted with H11 bulbs, for which there are upgrade bulbs available. The OE halogen bulbs produced a poorer light than the HIR2 bulbs.

However, manufacturers like Osram, Philips and Alite (who make bulbs for people like Halfords and Ring) have over the years produced improved upgrade bulbs to narrow the gap between halogen and both HIR2 and HID. Hence bulbs like the Philips X-treme Vision, Ring xenon +120% (a re-branded Alite bulb), the GE Megalight Ultra +120%, and the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited +110% are now currently the strongest performing halogen upgrade bulbs.

Toyota themselves now sell a halogen bulb upgrade for certain fitments (H4, H7, H11, and HB4) called the Optibright - which provides up to 50% more light (see http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/151757-for-sale-optibright-headlamp-bulbs/).

As far as I'm aware for the UK market, the 2013 Auris has the HIR2 bulbs - whether petrol, diesel or hybrid - and there is currently no upgrade HIR2 bulb available. The HIR2 bulb, made only by Philips, itself is an improved version of the original HIR bulbs made by GE and Toshiba. Neither GE or Toshiba now make the HIR bulb, leaving Philips as the only manufacturer of this type of bulb.

Many thanks Frostyballs. Think I get the picture now. Just as well I don't do much night driving so hope that I find the standard H1R2 bulbs OK.

Update:

In the US, I understand that the Auris still uses the Corolla name, so came across these LED upgrade bulbs (though not for headlights). Any thoughts?

http://www.carid.com/2013-toyota-corolla-led-lights/

Might be tempted to get some for the front fogs/rear lights but worry they may not work correctly, although did read somewhere on here that a member in Japan upgraded most of his bulbs to LED.

The Auris name is just used in Europe for the Corolla hatchback.

The US-built Corolla is their version of the larger Corolla saloon (the wheelbase is 100mm bigger and the same as the Avensis), built in Turkey for Europe, but not sold in the UK (as we're less fond of saloons than hatchbacks).

I would imagine that bulb fitments would be similar.

Thanks once again - might be worth giving them a try as they are not too expensive.

Hey Phil you must be the chap screaming at Toyota on the blog ;)

I recently went out into a totally dark area and I have to agree, the spread is next to useless. They're great at poking holes in the night in a straight line, but naff at illuminating anything sideways. For anyone still a bit confused there's no separate main beam and high beam in the 2013, just the one bulb that does both. The projector setup is what's at fault really - focusing all the light in a very small area straight ahead, rather than conveniently spilling side sideways like traditional lights. Fine for the city with street lights, but a bit hairy out in the wilderness I can imagine.

Toyota offer 'upgraded' bulbs, but they're just silly colours and have no effect on spread (nor would any different bulbs I think, the lens won't allow more spread).

You better grab some of these

toyota-tacoma-2.jpg

I have read somewhere that the plug for the HIR2s is basically the same as 9011/9012 bulbs (but then they wouldn't go high beam would they).
I don't know whether trying to remove the projector lens and changing the bulb is a slightly daft or incredibly daft idea.......

Maybe some enterprising modders will put some traditional internals into 2013 headlight housings?

I very much doubt Toyota are going to help with this. On their end, a differently shaped lens could do wonders though.

They're great at poking holes in the night in a straight line, but naff at illuminating anything sideways. For anyone still a bit confused there's no separate main beam and high beam in the 2013, just the one bulb that does both. The projector setup is what's at fault really -

Exactly what I found.

It's the same issue with the Yaris Hybrid

Does the UK Auris get Bi-HID headlights or just the halogen ones which I suspect we do.

From initial press release (March 2013):
Within the headlamp clusters, the trim bar flows into an ‘eyebrow’ form which accentuates the exceptionally narrow clearance between the bonnet and the Bi-HID (High Intensity Discharge) or halogen lamp projector unit. This highly innovative headlamp packaging also incorporates LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). Fitted as standard on all grades, they give the new Auris Touring Sports a unique visual signature.
If we don't, just wondering whether they could be retro fitted?

According to the brochure and the website, multi reflector halogen headlights and LED daylight running lights are fitted across the range (both Auris hatchback and Touring Sports) for the UK.

I think the HIDs are a mainland Europe / Japan ( / Australia) option, from what I can tell. They are available here in Turkey as an upgrade and I believe are included as standard on the top spec' models. The bulb fitments change to a "D4S" type, and I must assume Toyota tucks their own [overpriced] ballasts away behind the clusters somewhere.

I see no reason you couldn't import the official Toyota HID kits from an EU supplier, but I'm sure it'd cost a ridiculous amount. If it was original Toyota equipment your dealer might not screw you out of warranty, but then they don't like to miss out on opportunities like that. Plus, this isn't going to help the problem at all. Brighter and whiter, perhaps, but I can't see how the spread would be improved by using HIDs. They are still behind projectors.

Many thanks - scrap that idea then.

Mind you, what's wrong with the us getting them as standard or an option? Even more annoying as the car is made here in the UK.

The headlights in the new Auris are better than those in my previous car, a Fiat Grande Punto, but not quite as good as those in the Rover 25. It's a shame that the Auris bulbs are a proprietary fitting.