Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2013 Excel Hybrid - Poor Headlights

Phil L

Now trying the osram night breaker unlimited hb4/9006. Slight improvement over the hir2 i think,it gives a whiter light than hir2 but according to some using it, life span is not so good. But will give more feedback after a few more days.

Did you have to nip off some little plastic clips to get it in, or did it just fit?

Do you have a chance to try the Toyota OptiBlue or OptiBright bulbs? I don't know if perhaps anyone who has a particularly friendly dealer might be able to 'borrow' some, or at least have a look at them in place?

Oh, biggest question... does the high-beam / flash work with those osrams?

Yes, you only have to cut a little bit off the tab to fit it in. The flash and high beam works as well. Havent tried the optibright and optiblue because the funny thing is when i went to the dealer to ask for it he doesnt even know it which get me annoyed. Anyway it seems the osrams is working fine at the moment

Also changing fog lights to LEDs

Also changing fog lights to LEDs

I'd like to see these when you get them. Hopefully they'll be a good match for the DRLs' colour temperature. Where did you buy them?

• 1 month later...

Hi Phil,

Very interesting discussion I wish I found this thread a number of months ago! Your initial message was like a duplicate of mine regarding light straight ahead nowhere else. Timboo, that was me giving Toyota grief on their official forum saying very similar things as Phil! I don't often make a fuss about things but they are so bad I felt I had to. I have also written to Toyota officially twice and complained about them. Their response is that they won't even bother to get out from behind their desks to drive one and simply comment that everything is tested to an acceptable standard! Funny they have had many previous safety recalls if everything is perfect from day 1 and they don't need to test anything isn't it!?

I'd urge anyone else to do the same as they won't even think about testing these things unless there is a weight of opinion. Moaning on their page which POTENTIAL owners will find was a good start plus Toyota are very quick at monitoring that forum! Please add your comments to this blog and they will forward your issue to the Toyota team who will contact you directly and begin sending you letters:-

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-auris-your-questions-answered

Like you I was shocked when I got the car. We have an older Honda Jazz in the household too, and switching between the difference is quite unbelievable! I think part of the problem with other people (someone on the official forum said the lights were OK!?!?) is that they only drive the Auris and "get used" to just how bad they are (or drive mostly on lit roads). When in the Jazz navigating unlit thin country roads is quite a dream (like floodlights compared to Auris!) compared to squinting and jabbing on the brakes in the BRAND NEW Auris! Yes it's like driving to "Glow worms in Jam Jars"! (Loved that comment!). I HATE driving this nice new car at night on back lanes and will take the Jazz for such trips, that's a bit sad really..

I actually believe that turnings and tight bends on unlit roads is dangerous, for a couple of seconds until the car turns you're turning into complete blackness so just cross fingers and hope a ruddy great pot hole, kerb, pet or anything else isn't in your way!

On these back roads this car has forced me to drive (illegally) with the fog lights on. This isn't a perfect fix but I think it's about a 25% improvement in immediate light to the sides.

As everyone else has found, I also contacted Autobulbs and nope, HIR2 (or 9012) is not yet been replicated to any of these +90/+100/+120% type replacements. As someone else suggested I am going to try buying 9006 units of the +120% type and see if any difference is to be had, I am sure it won't be great as the whole idea of this "Halogen Infrared Reflecting" type setup is that they burn hotter and get better light output for a stock bulb. Worth a go though and I'd love feedback from how these work compared to HIR2 stock bulbs?

Unfortunately fitting HID bulbs to a car in UK is also illegal but you know what, as these are projector type they lend themselves to work better with such a setup (not scattering light so badly as reflector units with HID retrofits which is awful) I'm *almost* tempted to do it based on the uselessness of the Toyotas brand new model offering (and remove before an MOT!)!! I'd also love to hear if anyone has done this too! I recently hired a car in Florida which was a brand new Corolla (very similar to Auris in many places) and this had HID lights, WOW what an improvement.. Thanks Toyota for cutting costs for the UK market!!!

This does irritate me as one main reason of getting this car was to get out of the "modification" type line and messing with cars and get a nice simple 5yr warranty everything all in car, seems they forgot the headlights.. Thankfully after over two weeks away my car has not yet suffered the Battery drain issue that I have been reading a lot about though so that's one silver lining.. :)

• Like 1

The HIR2 bulbs produce approx 1870 lumens, so are a fair bit brighter than OEM halogen bulbs which produce around 1000 - which Toyota have used as OE previously.

I presume Philips, the only manufacturer of HIR2 bulbs, have some sort of product protection in place, which may be why upgrade bulbs from other manufacturers aren't available.

Think the upgrade halogen bulbs produce up to 2000-2200 lumens (the +100%, +110% and +120% bulbs).

As regards the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs, just be aware that some sites advertise these as having up to a 40 metre longer beam - this actually depends on fitment (some fitments having a shorter increase in beam).

If you buy HB4/9006 bulbs, compare Amazon to other sites, as I have found Amazon to be a fair bit cheaper, depending which upgrade bulb you go for.

Having driven my new 2014 Auris now several times at night, I do not have an major issue with the lights on main beam, in fact they are better than my last new car (Skoda Yeti). They could be better on dip though, but I have adjusted the height setting to it's highest setting which has improved the dip beam spread as they originally were set on the lowest.

I do agree though, why we cannot have HID lights as an option or better still as standard on the Auris.

• 1 month later...

Osram have recently started to produce HIR2 9012 headlight bulbs, and I contacted them to see whether they will be producing upgrade versions (ie Nightbreaker).Their reply is as follows:

Good afternoon Mike

Thank you for your web message.

HIR bulbs already run at a high efficiency and up-rated versions are not possible at the moment. So, I am afraid that there are no immediate plans to introduce a Night Breaker version. Thank you for your interest and we will keep it in mind.

Best regards

Keith Raftery

Technical Sales Manager

OSRAM Ltd

Would be interested to see the difference compared to the philips hir2 and the night breaker unlimited in which im using at the moment

Think as I've quoted previously (not necessarily in this topic) HIR2 bulbs are supposed to be at least 75% brighter than OE equipment halogen bulbs - as regards light output (lumens) I think the HIR2 bulbs produce around 1800 lumens and OE halogen around 1000 lumens.

In fact see post 32 of this topic.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2015 Auris estate hybrid which has absolutely rubbish headlights. Had the car serviced today and specifically asked for the headlights to be checked. They reported back that they are "checked with MOT testing equipment" and are OK. Cannot offer any upgrading of the bulbs.I find that the pool of illumination is rubbish. Very poor beam spread to the sides. I also drive rural areas with unlit roads and find it necessary to drive with the spotlights on to get a reasonable light. Neighbours have a 2013 Auris, which seems to have better (more spread) than mine. Has anyone taken this up with Toyota?

45 minutes ago, Suffolk Brian said:

I have a 2015 Auris estate hybrid which has absolutely rubbish headlights. Had the car serviced today and specifically asked for the headlights to be checked. They reported back that they are "checked with MOT testing equipment" and are OK. Cannot offer any upgrading of the bulbs.I find that the pool of illumination is rubbish. Very poor beam spread to the sides. I also drive rural areas with unlit roads and find it necessary to drive with the spotlights on to get a reasonable light. Neighbours have a 2013 Auris, which seems to have better (more spread) than mine. Has anyone taken this up with Toyota?

First of all do you have a pre-facelift 2015 Auris or a post-facelift ?

Some have found the pre-facelift headlights poor, they have taken this up with Toyota via the Toyota UK blog (http://blog.toyota.co.uk ), and at least one person has had new headlight units fitted under warranty.

As you can see from earlier posts within this topic, there are no upgrades available for HIR2 bulbs.

You can try fitting an LED bulb which is much better than the stock. If not try fitting an HID.  I have tried both and both of them are way much better than the stock. Theres no hot spot, havent been flashed by incoming traffic. The projector foe the auris is decent enough to spread the light beam. 

Frostyballs, thanks for the reply. It is pre- facelift - collected vehicle on 2nd April - I would be interested in fitting either LED or HID if I could be sure of getting a better pool of illumination. Anyone done this and had a good experience? Are they road legal? 

Coincidently, Auto Express ran an article recently under their Inside Story series (issue 1,410 - 24th Feb to 1st March) on HID and LED conversion kits for vehicles. These kits are illegal to sell, install and use in the UK, but legislation governing the sale of these kits doesn't seem to be currently enforced. Auto Express in association with a local Trading Standards got one company selling these kits to withdraw the kits from sale, and close down their website. 

Thinking of composing a general information thread on this subject.

Haven't seen that article but it is surprising how many things that are illegal to install/use are still legal to sell in the UK. The offence is usually use rather than selling so the onus falls on the user.

Iirc all LED bulbs in cars are technically illegal under UK law but that is superceded by EU legislation for oem at least.

The article says the kits are illegal to sell as well ....

do they quote a relevant Act? I know that the D of T's "view" is that it is illegal to sell but their view is not the law.

You wouldn't actually need a kit in the case of LED bulbs but as you are replacing an oem incandescent with a different type it can't be E marked so would be illegal for road use under Construction & Use afaik.

Auto Express will be sending me a link to use. Their evidence was enough to get a LA trading standards to approach one company who withdrew the kits from sale and voluntarily closed their website.

If you have a current model but pre facelift 2013-2015 Auris with Halogen bulbs ( not LED/HID ) and find the near field side illumination poor Toyota can supply modified headlamps that have a redesigned reflector to improve side illumination the Technical service bulletin reference is  BE-0058T-0515  

• Like 3

Hi Devon, 

I'm really interested in what you said about a redesigned reflector and the tech service number, as I've moaned incessantly about these for years so your post has got me somewhat excited!! I hope it is the case as they are unbelievably bad... I will email a good contact at local Toyota garage and check it out :) 

Andy

I have new facelift Auris Hybrid with Bi-LED lights. They are better than halogen, but not as good as HID...

Thanks to Frostyballs and others regarding these headlights. I took the blog post regarding the redesigned reflector into my local dealer yesterday, showed it to him and he straight away ordered a new pair of headlights for me. Will let everyone know what sort of improvement I get - if any. Also, be interesting to see if they use the same bulbs, which I expect they will...............

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Suffolk Brian said:

Thanks to Frostyballs and others regarding these headlights. I took the blog post regarding the redesigned reflector into my local dealer yesterday, showed it to him and he straight away ordered a new pair of headlights for me. Will let everyone know what sort of improvement I get - if any. Also, be interesting to see if they use the same bulbs, which I expect they will...............

Likewise, thanks for Devon as I rang my dealership in Aylesbury and lights are on order, fitting in a couple of weeks. Hopefully a step forward!! Interested to hear your feedback Brian... :) 

Andy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links