Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flat Battery On Auris Hybrid 2013

Lestat69

I posted that I was leaving my Auris Excel HSD (63 plate) from 16th September to 18th December (garaged) and due to the concerns that others had about the 12V battery, I purchased a Ctek maintenance battery and left it connected for the whole period that my auris was not used. I can report that I had no problems with the battery since I have returned and been up North and down south since I have been back and car has been a joy to drive. So glad to say that the Ctek seems a good investment for anyone who has concerns about not driving the car on a regular basis.

What Ctek model did you purchase and how did you connect it to the car.

I posted that I was leaving my Auris Excel HSD (63 plate) from 16th September to 18th December (garaged) and due to the concerns that others had about the 12V battery, I purchased a Ctek maintenance battery and left it connected for the whole period that my auris was not used. I can report that I had no problems with the battery since I have returned and been up North and down south since I have been back and car has been a joy to drive. So glad to say that the Ctek seems a good investment for anyone who has concerns about not driving the car on a regular basis.

I got the Ctek MX5.0 model . http://www.ctek.com/int/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

It has a comfort connect eyelet which I fitted onto the Battery which are left on permanently and I just clip onto the lead which is then connected to an extension lead. The connection leads are thin enough to allow you to close the tailgate without any problem.

It has a comfort connect eyelet which I fitted onto the Battery which are left on permanently and I just clip onto the lead which is then connected to an extension lead. The connection leads are thin enough to allow you to close the tailgate without any problem.

Thanks for the information, do you leave the Battery connected to the car whilst it's on charge?

Just to clarify some details about my fault, for other's benefit, I had the battery flat after a 1300km and 14 continuative hours of motorway driving with the ICE constantly active at a considerable regime (2.000 to 2.700 rpm), so I expected to have a 100% recharged battery (I was driving back to Italy for the Christmas Holidays).

As soon as I arrived home, I garaged the car, fully closed and 100% sure no lights on and the keys were very far from the car.

If we consider that:

1) if any door open, the smart entry starts beeping, so none of the doors could have been left open.

2) if the external lights are left on, a buzzer starts making noise if attempting to close the car. None of this.

3) all interior lights are switched off anyway after 20 minutes, even if a door is left open, not my case again.

4) nothing connected to 12v plug, or USB, or OBD port.

then there was no possibility of a mistake: the car was fully switched off!

Left the car on 24/12 morning, found the battery flat on 26/12 afternoon.

Perhaps the 12v had been allowed to run flat at the dealers when 'new'. The 12v being smaller than most was thus damaged beyond repair. It then never fully charged however long you drove it, evenutally dying after such a short time.

I've said before that this is a common Prius fault (the Prius and the Auris HSD are virtually the same car) and there are thousands of posts on the US priuschat website about this issue. Dealers are used to dealing with traditional cars and will leave doors open, lights on etc when they do their new car checks. The 12v is virtually killed from the off set. Then the poor recharging of the hybrid system and the 12v never had a hope.

It is well documented and reported. Try proving it was the dealers though.

Thanks for the information, do you leave the Battery connected to the car whilst it's on charge?

Yes just leave the Ctek connected, after its charged the Battery it just runs a diagnostic test every now and then to check if there has been a drain due to the cars security/ radio presets, if required it then charges battery up again, otherwise it shuts down until next diagnostic. Its plug in and forget. As its all electronic the Ctek does not get hot like normal battery chargers. As I said I plugged it in for 3 months and left it connected.

I was worried if it would harm the HV battery but a friend who has been on electrical courses ( deals with car electric systems) tells me that the 2 systems are totally different so would be no problem. I also emailed Ctek and they confirmed this.

I have a TecMate Optimate 4 which operates in similar mode and can be left permanently connected.

Hello, found your Post, purchased Auris Hybrid Sept 2nd 2013, good motoring unitl last week, hadn't used for couple of days flat Battery, toyota assistance came out and done usual tests and all fine.

Diddnt use for two days and yes, same problem, AA advised need to take to garage

Booked in, hoping easily solved, any advise welcome on what to make sure what the service dept do to correct the problem.

Dave

Did they replace Battery?

Doubt it. Toyota don't have faulty cars or components, it's all the user's fault, according to them at least.

What about one of these as a replacement? The capacity and CCA is a bit higher (40Ah / 330A instead of 34Ah / 272A) and closer to the 45Ah other Toyota Hybrids got. There's not alot of alternatives for the limited space in the Auris. (The TS has a bit more space left, 45Ah might be possible there)

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/search-batteries?ids=5401250333132,5401260333132&application=pc&year=2013&manufacturerNo=111&modellineNo=10460&modeltype=57499

Happened twice to me when I had the new Auris hybrid excel

Assistance checked Battery charge rate etc,

Now own a diesel excel drastic no just hated the hybrid and that issue forced the swap

Hi, after first posting my problem with the Battery took to local toyota last tues, done tests and not faulty, just needed charge etc, this was after second flat Battery.

Used car sat night 40 miles plus, this morning flat Battery, taken to local dealer after first having phone put down on me for shouting! sorry i must be calm happy and gratefull for all the assistance they have given me thus far.

it is now at garage, waiting further tests, can't give me a service car, all booked,

asked to spoeak to toyota uk whilst at garage, put thru, now have a case number, i expect due to my complaining they will replace battery, why should i have aa out 3 times before something is done!

Talk nicely to the Dealer Principal, and ask him how he would like his car back.

No dealer wants to have to deal with a rejected car, sometimes that is enough to get things moving.

Email Toyota and tell them they DO have an issue with the 12v Battery system on the Auris Hybrid,

And what are they going to do about it?

Mention that you know of at least 50 other people with exactly the same issue, and as it stands,

the car is not fit for purpose, and you are considering rejecting the car, and will not buy from Toyota again.

G...

It will be interesting to see if toyota changes anything about the Battery, when the first production changes are made.

according to the toyota support its due in the 2nd half of this year.

(i asked them, because i wanted to know when the auris gets the new "toyota touch & go 2" - which can not be retrofitted to the current model)

the Saga continues, taken Auris Hybrid back today, second time in week, questions from foreman, did i wash car at weekend, left key too close, now question whether i didn't turn it off correctly

extremely dissapointing when u buy new for reliability!

the Saga continues, taken Auris Hybrid back today, second time in week, questions from foreman, did i wash car at weekend, left key too close, now question whether i didn't turn it off correctly

extremely dissapointing when u buy new for reliability!

Yup! That's the stock answer. However, how on earth can you not turn it off correctly?

That's a new one.

Now they really are clutching at straws, anything to avoid admitting that there IS a issue.

G...

Not turning it off would have the opposite effect, it would charge up the Battery :backofnet:

• Like 2

Ha! Can we invoice Mr T for the fuel?

Then we can jury rig the car to the house electric like the other thread suggests...

Hmmmm

Hi

Auris back to Garage on Monday, not started after not using for two nights, reading stated Battery ok, no drain, received call from foreman, had i washed car, keys to close, rubbish, he suggested keep it overnight, i said no 2 days replicate my problem, i called wed morning, my car wouldn't start, really, new reading on Battery test, cell failed, we will now install new Battery as Toyota have authorised it.

Great but sour taste that blame customer first!

Hi

Auris back to Garage on Monday, not started after not using for two nights, reading stated battery ok, no drain, received call from foreman, had i washed car, keys to close, rubbish, he suggested keep it overnight, i said no 2 days replicate my problem, i called wed morning, my car wouldn't start, really, new reading on battery test, cell failed, we will now install new battery as Toyota have authorised it.

Great but sour taste that blame customer first!

I'm not sure now if just replacing the Battery is a long term solution.

I have my car in at the moment again with the flat Battery problem, this is the second time for me, nobody can be that unlucky!

One response on the PC forum from Patrick Wong. What he doesn't know about the Prius can be written on a stamp. Granted the Auris HSD is different, but wonder if his suggestion is useful?

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't the UK Auris Hybrid same as the "Prius c" in USA. I can't see any specific threads re flat 12v Battery warranty issues on the PC Prius c forum, but issues surrounding 12V Battery are well documented there for the Prius.

Isn't the UK Auris Hybrid same as the "Prius c" in USA. I can't see any specific threads re flat 12v battery warranty issues on the PC Prius c forum, but issues surrounding 12V battery are well documented there for the Prius.

No, it isn't. It would seem there is no model the same as the UK Auris in the US. The Prius C is like the Prius, only proportionately smaller looking on the outside. However the boot space is a lot shorter. It is hard to describe, but makes sense when you see one in the flesh.

There are pictures here, but it is hard to imagine without a frame of reference to give you a sense of scale.

Isn't the UK Auris Hybrid same as the "Prius c" in USA. I can't see any specific threads re flat 12v battery warranty issues on the PC Prius c forum, but issues surrounding 12V battery are well documented there for the Prius.

Not at all. Totally different as the above has just said too.

The Auris is the European version of the Corolla. It appears the electrics have been 'Europeanised' by Toyota France. Hmmm.