Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Key For 2009 Iq

MmcIQ

This is my first post so apologies if it has been discussed before. I have lost my ignition key and wondered if it is possible to get a replacement without breaking the bank eg from eBay. I assume that the key has a transponder but this is not based on any fact. I have the key number attached to the spare key.

Hello Martin - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Post moved to the IQ club - you'll probably get a better response there.

Hi

The number on the tag is a very important item I would suggest to everyone viewing this site that if they are using a fob with the metal tag attached, to remove it and keep it safe or make sure you have a copy of the number kept safe.

Without that number and both keys lost, it would be cost prohibitive to acquire a spare or a fob for your vehicle.

You would need to replace the ECU, Key locks and the cost of a replacement fob. Assuming you have smart entry then its not just a transponder you are dealing with but also the coded radio fob. The last person on here was quoted £350 for the fob alone and to have it coded. Whilst recently visiting the spares dept at my dealer, a customer was requesting a replacement fob and had to bring in the tag code and proof of ownership and the price was £250 + Vat. It may well be possible to get a fob that will be able to emulate the original but for people without at least one fob,, Very unlikely and with no tag number, a whole new system is required

David

Above point well made David, I have two keys and no metal key tag, however I have found a key number written on the service book, do you know how I can get that number verified as being correct ?

I ask this question before my warranty expires later this month.

My keys both work and are actual "keys" not just "fobs"

Positive Regards Bob.

Hi Bob

Not sure, it is a 5 digit number. I get the impression you tell them the code for your car rather than they tell you. Because, without the code your pretty dead in the water as they don't seem to be able to cross ref it from your VIN number

David

Thanks David, The number I have is a 5 digit one, that of course does not mean it is the correct one.

When i pass by by my dealer tomorrow i will take mine and see what the possibilities are for you

David

Thanks for your help David. It is all sounding expensive but I may just have to go for it through the dealer.

Martin

Martin,

As you have the number, i will ask tomorrow at the dealers what the cost for a replacement is for you. Let you know tomorrow. I assume you have also lost the mechanical key embedded within the fob so will check it it out for you

David

Ok here is the definitive answer on key fobs

for the iQ

For a replacement fob including manual key, the cost is £150 for the fob manual key + £57 for coding from your other spare. All prices quoted are +VAT

The mechanical key code is taken from either your tag code or chassis number and comes from Germany via DHL made by a company called Konradschiliesstecknik. I am told that it takes a few days for delivery. I am also told that often the code on the tag is not used because the chassis number is preferred

If you have lost both fobs then the transponder ECU, which is separate from the. Main ECU, has to be replaced with a blank one at the cost of £180+VAT. The transponder ECU accepts the first code put into it and cannot be changed.

The Transponder ECU is located behind the heater to deter thieves tampering with it. By doing this there is likely to be a 2 Hr labour charge in replacing the unit @£75 per hour

So quick recap

Approx £250 inc vat and physical key per fob

ECU replacement £216 + Up to £150 labour inc Vat

Total for ECU+ 2x fobs and physical keys = £866. nice!

David

• Like 1

David is a "Star" we now have all the answers !

Thanks David !

Here is another interesting thing for your knowledge bank, David...I had a new boiler fitted last week and it came with a digital RF Wi-fi thermostat controller.

It was duly all fitted and working fine. Because of the storms I had left the IQ at the bottom of our drive some distance from the house.

When I moved the car back to its normal position beside the house the RF connection became very unreliable and I had to take the controller off the wall and sit in near the boiler to get it to work. Mr P the plumber is coming back to replace the RF controller with a wired one next week.

Am I right in thinking this could be due to the old 433 frequency problem again? The IQ does emit signals when it is "dormant" does it not?

John

I suggest anyone with a fancy , expensive to replace, key makes sure that their car insurance covers replacement . I'm with M&S and I can claim up to £1500 for a lost key with a built in "key care" policy. In fact it was specifically why I went with this insurer, although I'm sure many others offer such cover ( you may even have it without knowing!)

Good point Nick

Will check mine tomorrow

John i think you must have a camera on me!!

I fitted the same unit to ours a few days before christmas

They are on 860mhz which was vacated by analogue TV.

2nd harmonic of 433.9 mhz is 867.8mhz which would be at worst case half signal strength.

You are right that the iQ "poles" for a response from the fob. The power level is very low so that all external aerials ( sides and rear), only work with a range of about a foot to identify which door your standing next too. So its very unlikely that its the car causing the problem. Its more likely to be a neighbour using the default code that the link is usually left on. I checked with my neighbours to make sure they either didn't have a wireless thermostat link or that it wasnt on the default code. The car in the equation may just be large metal object for the thermostat signals to bounce off.

Would be nice if you could let be know what the outcome is.

If your heating engineer is scratching his head, tell him to try changing the default code by a few digits. Normally 433.92 is rated up to a max of 30mtrs in open country but the 860mhz band is up to 60mtrs so lots of chance for local interference

David

Will certainly keep you informed, David, if MrP can shed light on the issue.

I have googled it and apparently though the boiler is a "good" make, they bought over a controller company whose products do not match the quality of the boilers and a number of people have had the same symptoms, although usually after a couple of years use rather than a couple of days.

There is a tuning procedure to link the receiver to the emitter which perhaps they did not follow to the letter, but he is happy to change it to a wired one as there is no problem laying in the wire (just through a wall next to the boiler), so that suits us.

Must look up my insurance too!!

John

Hi John

This is the one i bought which has worked faultlessly. So much so that i have also bought the 2 channel programmed which i'm waiting on

http://bit.ly/19DlYRG

Be interesting to see if yours is the same make /model. Maybe yours is on 433.92mhz. Should say on the carton.

Please excuse detracting from the topic

David

Mine is a Worcester Bosch DT10RF Digistat, which according to the bumph is indeed a 433mhz one.

I haven't paid the bill yet so I expect I will only have to pay for the wired one once it is fitted.

Apologies too to others for hijacking this thread about the keys.

My car, and home, insurances do not mention lost car keys specifically but I suppose if it is an item that you have bona fide "lost", they should pay for a replacement, though they may not expect a bill of a few hundred for a key!

John

My car, and home, insurances do not mention lost car keys specifically but I suppose if it is an item that you have bona fide "lost", they should pay for a replacement, though they may not expect a bill of a few hundred for a key!

John

It's probably the case with most car insurance policies that keys are not specifically mentioned.

Just to clarify .... the M&S policy contains cover which is a provided by a separate company but is rolled into the policy ( no doubt the premium reflects this)

there is also a recovery tag on the keyring with a unique id, and the promise of a reward if the keys are found and KEYCARE,notified. .... assuming the finder resists the temptation to try to find a nearby car with iQ written on it just like the key fob.

You can always take out a separate policy with KEYCARE , I think it costs about 20 quid a year. Money well spent in my opinion considering the cost of losing your keys.

My car insurance (LV) covers the cost of either a lost car key, transmitter or smart entry card and the replacement of locks. Not sure whether the ECU replacement would be covered.

My view on lost keys - I have never lost a key in my last 63 years on Planet Earth, and don't wish to pay extra insurance cost for the chance of loosing one of "two" keys. My annual car insurance cost is only just over £100 per year for fully comp and fully protected NCB plus a hire car cost in event of claim might require it.

I am "self insured" from a lost key perspective and believe this is the most cost effective way forward.

So from a Car Key perspective my 5 point plan for your consideration is simple:

1) Always have two car keys for each car

2) Keep them in secure and each in different places at all times

3) Replace key fob batteries every 12 months

4) Don't loose either key ever

5) Have the key number available just in case

Positive Regards, Bob.

I agree bob. 55 years and never lost a key (or phone, camera, watch, wallet, credit card etc. etc.) - put it down to an organised mind and a healthy paranoia. I wouldn't normally pay an insurance premium that is based on other peoples' careless behavior. But this was built in to the premium and I figured it was a good idea because you know , !Removed! happens !!! and these are VERY expensive to replace should that (frankly unlikely) key loss occur. Without being un-gallant I have to say on the odd occasion my partner borrows my iQ I always breath a sigh when the keys are handed back to me ( if you get my drift)

Thanks to all of you who have replied. All the info and thoughts have been very helpful. It looks as though I will be off to my Toyota dealer on Monday to sort the problem out

MRtin

• 8 years later...

I lost my toyota IQ 2009 smart key ,and needs to get new one. I couldn't drive as I don't have the key. Is there any possibility to get same key replacement? please anyone who can assist me to get solution? I miss driving my lovely IQ

Edited by Henok girma
To add more