Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt Renewal

takum

Hi all thinking about renewing my cam belt on my 2.0 litre carina cdx 1996/7 milage has only done 19,500 and it was renewed 3 years 11 months ago i know the manual states 60,000 miles but does not state how many years but i have been told 5 or does it make any difference do not quite know what engine it is maybe you experts may help i have also seen in a manual that some engines have the valve clearance so if it does snap would it be ok or does this only apply to the 1600 engines also a bit paranoid thinking if it does snap i would have to scrap the car because of repair costs this car is in lovely condition hoping to have it for another 16 years because i like it so much sorry to go on but could anyone tell me the price of the car when new. ps how bigger job is it to renew c/belt

Hi, I would not think there is a problem here, running that newish cam belt for yrs to come, especially if you have kept the car in a garage?

Hi thanks for that, the car is always garaged never comes out only for driving cleaning and servicing .looked in the haynes manual and i cant find any mention about years wise maybe looking in wrong place.still would like to know if the valves would clear if the belt snapped .cheers.

No not on that engine, or even most engines except for some old Subaru models. if yer so worried you can always inspect the belt by taking the plastic cover off, but you may have to take the rocker box cover off first? and then you can turn the engine over by means of the crankshaft pulley wheel bolt at the bottom of the engine with the ignition turned off!?? or simply a quick on and off turn of the ignition switch to turn the engine over a little at a time.

You will be looking for any deterioration of the belt like cracks or splits. I bet there's nothing wrong with it, and appears like its new! Take a look of how fresh looking the white wording might be on it?? If it its not that fresh looking maybe it was never changed at all?

thanks for that will do and then decide , I new it was replaced because I was there . but it makes you wonder how many people have been duped by people saying they have replaced them, only way to get round this is to mark the belt in some way tippex or marker -pen before you take it to be replaced.

• Like 1

Your engine is a non-interference engine, meaning if the belt broke the engine should survive, with only a replacement belt needed.

With that knowledge, you don't need to worry about big repair costs, replacement engine or write off worries.

thanks for that konrad peace of mind but i took the top cover bolts out and had a look and the belt looks a bit tired so im going to get it replaced probably arm and leg to do it anyone know how much on average .

I paid for the Gates cambelt kit, approx £60, and paid my local garage £80 to change the belt.

Unlike the 4A-FE and 7A-FE the coolant pump is driven by the cambelt. It may be wise to change the pump too, saving on future labour cost.

This will add to the cost, but is a saving in the long run.

just had it replaced konrad £60.00 labour £72.00 belt kit + vat better than scrapping the car tho cheers mate for the info. john.

• Like 1

just had it replaced konrad £60.00 labour £72.00 belt kit + vat better than scrapping the car tho cheers mate for the info. john.

That's great John.

If the car is in good condition, then this job is worth it. You could have bought a newer car and have problems and hate it!

Also you changed the belt well inside the distant/time schedule, probably due to lack of use or short journeys. These factors can shorten a cambelts service life.

Happy motoring.

Konrad :thumbsup:

had a good look at the fan belt waver thin really so did right thing i waited for it being done bottom pulley had to be removed with an extractor so if i had done it my self would have struggled a bit not worth worrying about doing it your self for that money .i bought the car when it was nine years old full service history and the chap who had it lived nearby saw him washing and polishing regular he said he changes his car every 9 or 10 years waiting for the next 1 lol but the toyota is still in good nick and drives like a dream.hoping to keep it for a long while yet cheers for that konrad .john.

• Like 1

cheers for that mate the car is running ok now but it id developing a noise round the cambelt ares more noisy when cold seem to think it might be alternator going to take it back to let them have a look any one got an alternator to sell just in case .