Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Surf Ssrx Diesel Using The 4X4 Gear Shift And Button

4x4kiwi

HI NEW TO MY HI LUX SURF 1995 IN RELATION TO THE 4X4 OPTION,CAN SOMEONE TELL ME DOES THE MAIN GEAR SHIFT HAVE TO BE IN NEUTRAL BEFORE I PRESS THE 4X4 BUTTON ON THE OTHER SMALL GEAR SHIFT THE ONCE DEPRESSED TO I GO TO OTHER GEAR SHIFT THEN PUT INTO NORMAL,THEN WHAT I AM CONFUSED SOS...APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.I HAVE A AUTOMATICE SURF

Not drove the auto but I would say that like a manual you can change into 4h up to 50mph but 4l you need to be stationary.

• 1 month later...

Gidday mate, I have the same wagon. whilst in 2H you can hit the 4x4 button on the small shifter to put you into 4H. when you do this you should be doing less than 80kmh and preferrably on a surface that shifts(beach, gravel, mud).

to go to 4L by using the small shifter you should remove the vehicle from 4H(press your button again) sometimes after pressing the button to disengage the 4x4 light will stay on, just put it in reverse and move backwards until it goes out. once back in 2H put the vehicle in N, move the small shifter into the 4L position and select you gear i.e. L, 2, D or R.

if you are ever moving from 4x4 to 2wd and hear a screeching noise and feel resistance(like your brakes are on) sometime the diff begins to bind, put it in reverse and move backwards for a good 3-5m.

service your diffs and transfer case and they will last for a long time. remember these vehicles have slip diffs so when great resistance is applied to one wheel the opposite wheel that has less resistance will spin. I do not consider these to be true 4x4 as they do not have diff locks, even though I have one.

• Like 1

Just like to say a big thank you for your help and putting me on the right road so to speak, very much appreciated .

• 3 months later...

Gidday, How's that 2wd to 4wd transition going? I am not sure where you are located but I thought I would drop you a line. I live in the Manawatu and set up 4x4 runs from time to time. usually there are about 6-10 vehicles and we do day trip offroading, nothing extreme or extra technical just good views, people and fun. I am planning an overnight/weekend 4x4 rally/convoy soon. let me know if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0yJdQLBb0M

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links