Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does The Old Yaris Stall Easy

copystuff

Hi guys just checked a youtube video and comments where for the Toyota yaris 1.0 old model they where saying they stall easy is this true of the old 1.3 model as well ?

I've seen something similar on Youtube where 3 people have said the 1.0 litre is easy to stall. However, in the Honest John review ease of stalling doesn't feature in the Good & Bad section - see http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/yaris-1999/?section=good

The 1.3 litre engine would have more torque than the 1.0 litre, so I would imagine would be less prone to stalling.

Think at the end of the day the lack of torque of the 1.0 litre would be something an owner would get used to.

Son has a 2001 1.0. He's had it 4 years or so... Does not seem to have any stalling issues...despite 130,000 miles...

Well, it's easy to stall compared to, say, the 1.4 D4D (Which is very hard to accidentally stall and obviously the best Yaris :D), but otherwise it's about the same as *any* 1.0L engine.

I don't think it's any easier to stall than an Aygo or IQ 1.0 VVTi.

If you want a car that's easy to stall, try the %$£#@*&% BSM Corsa I learned to drive in! :lol:

• Like 1

My Yaris 1.33 is really easy to stall when compared to my 1.3 or any other car. But I won't say that as a bad mark against the car, all cars can be easy to stall, especially 1 litres, it's not car-specific, it's all a case of getting used to the vehicle. I barely need much throttle to get my cars off from a standstill though you should hear how many revs my dad uses in his 1 litre Corsa. Maybe Corsas are more prone to stalling than Yarises, Cyker!

Ugh, the BSM Corsas I learned in were so utterly gutless they'd stall if you sneezed too hard and make the Aygo feel like a supercharged V8! :lol:

(These jappy VVTi engines are a lot of fun once you get the revs up past 2k, and then there's lift :naughty:)

It did teach me incredible clutch control however (If you can do a hill-start on a deep-camber road in test conditions in a car like that, you can say you've mastered clutch control! :lol:), and if you can drive a hateful gutless box of vileness like that, you can probably drive anything! :lol:

(It's probably not so good now tho' - My D4D has really spoiled me since you don't even need to touch the accelerator to move off with it :P)

Back in 2002 when my partner's Honda Civic was in for insurance repairs after being broken into, we had a 1.0 litre Corsa as a courtesy car. No power steering and the manual steering was incredibly heavy. As my partner had a short term problem with her arm, we had to swap the Corsa - and got a Daewoo Matiz instead. What a difference! Steering was nice and light. Easy to drive. Compared to the Corsa, the Matiz was quite nippy despite having around 100cc less.

I would love a Diesel but its finding one there all high miles so looks like i will go for the 1.3 yaris instead of the 1.0 as there apparently only 2mpg difference between the 2 engines harder to stall.

Also would buying a yaris with a Mileage of 74,000 be a silly thing to do ?

A yaris with 74,000 miles and properly serviced is about a third through its life.

Improperly serviced - or not at all and it may be dead within another 30,000 miles.

Condition is all. There are very few weak points. And lots of cheap spares.

I learnt in a BSM corsa too, hated the thing. The handbrakes were useless, I regularly rolled backwards if I wasn't careful. It had no power and was ridiculously easy to stall. I vowed never to own one.

I got a Chevy Kalos once as a courtesy car following a bump, now that was a skip in wheels, so uncomfy and poorly built with limited fuel economy. My sister had a Matiz which she loved, I drove it was a nice little car but then she killed it. She came up to visit me, it was -10 that night and she had put plain water in the coolant and it froze solid. It went back to Northampton on the back of an AA van.

I'll stick to my Yaris I think....

@copystuff - This any good to you? - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401141012761/

It is a Mk2 tho'. Any reason why you weren't looking at Mk2's? If you're going for a petrol and don't need the digital dash or a sunroof, there aren't any real disadvantages of getting a Mk2 and it should widen the field a bit as there should be quite a few 2nd hand Mk2's now!

@louise - Ahh yes, the Corsa handbrake! :lol: I remember when my instructor was trying to teach hill starts; The damned thing couldn't hold it on the hill on its own so I had to hold it with such force it was past the end of the ratchet while doing all the other stuff! :lol:

That was a fun time, esp. as the previous student had fried the clutch beforehand so it was very slippy until it suddenly engaged! Really learn to feel what the engine and transmission is doing in situations like that :lol:

I learnt in an indipendant instructor's Nissan Almera 1.4. Must've been a rare breed not to learn in a BSM Corsa. I had a Corsa when I initially worked for RED Driving School - it did the job I guess but was rather bland. Wouldn't part with my Yarises plus learners love the 1.33