Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Iq3 Owner - Spongy Brakes! Help!

EastLondonGuy

Hi,

I just bought an IQ3 1.33 Multidrive from a private seller. The car is a 2010/60 plate in Island Blue.

The car has only done 2,500 miles - yes you have read it right. It was an old 80-year old Granny car.

When I stepped into it, I found the brakes slightly spongy - as if you really have to apply pressure to stop.

I've had loads of Jap cars: Toyota Avensis, Lexus IS, we have a Honda Jazz Hybrid - but this seems a little odd in regard to the brakes.

Is it me or do you think there is a problem?

As far as the discs and pads are concerned - they are like new!

Look forward to your reply.

Sash

The fluid may have been contaminated, also it is hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels which reduces its efficiency.

After 2 to 3 years it is well worth replacing the fluid and have the system be bled.

It won't be, 2010 cars like mine came with a 3 year warranty so it will have finished now.

Has it been fully serviced? It will be due a brake fluid change at 3 years old so that will mean re-bleeding the system so any air in there will be expelled. I'd do that first then try again and maybe with some use they will improve, sounds like the brakes are not even run in yet.

Craig.

It's a Sept 2010 car. I called Hills of Woodford, where I am located, and they confirmed it's got an 'active' 5 year warranty. I will take it in and see what they say.

Prior stamps in the book have been Toyota Nuneaton when the car was 1, 2 and 3 years old - despite the old Granny doing 700 miles pa.

Thanks for the recall checker link Craggle. I checked with Hills, they told me the same as what came up when I entered my reg number. There are no recalls for brakes.

Ahhh, Just after the 5 year warranty came in then, that's lucky. :)

Craig.

Why is it lucky Craggle? If Hills say to me that the system needs a refresh with new brake fluid, then it comes out of my pocket right? Or is it a warranty thing?

We're assuming we know the exact problem but we don't. Brakes are a safety issue. I'd say Toyota would be very accommodating on safety given recent high profile recalls and if anything was difficult to explain through normal usage, then I suspect they'd resolve it under the warranty.

And you're getting them to look at it for free under the terms of the warranty when ordinarily you'd be faffing somewhat with the uncertainty?

Just my view and why I asked if your vehicle was still under warranty :)

May not be bedded in properly with such light usage, pads can become glazed and lose effectiveness.

Try driving around using gradually increased pressure on the pedal and see if they start to bed in...unless it is too dangerous of course!

The EGR valve is not actually a recall thing, only people that complain about it but the car in question is the 1.33 model like mine so no EGR issues on these ones. :)

Craig.

Craig... you are...sooo right. My bad..did not read the 1.33 model. ;-)

Keep forgetting....Here in Holland the 1.33 model has hardly been sold, due to the 'not having' reduction on the road-tax and buyers-tax...

But now in 2014 the government has changed that back, so we all have to pay road tax again. With all I mean all the cars under 100gr/kilometer exhaust CO2 limit...

I only know one light blue iQ that's a 1.33 model here... Pitty the iQ-forum is gone...

And also the iq is not being imported anymore in Europe...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links