Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'97 Rav 4 Abs Brakes Problem

Therasa

For the last few weeks when slowing at junctions the ABS brakes have cut in, not violent but do cause a judder that all in the car can feel. It's always at speeds below 15mph. The dealer (I'm in the UK) disconnected a sensor and so the ABS light came on all the time, of course this means the ABS doesn't work but the judder went away so we know it's an ABS fault. The problem the dealer tells me is the system isn't recording a fault code. They thought a wheel sensor might be damaged and have changed that at great expense but it's no better. They say they can do no more and suggest I drive it around, juddering to a stop at each junction, until the problem gets worse and the fault light comes on and records something, not a very satisfactory solution.

Anyone experienced a problem like this with their brakes ? If so what was the cause ?

Thanks,

Therasa

• 6 months later...

BRAKE JUDDER

Firstly I am amazed that I am the first to respond to this item after several (actually over 5!!!!) months...Come, surely someone from TOYOTA reads this site or don't you really care??

I have today purchased a 1996 5Door Rav4 - 49,000 miles and runs well but NSF tyre is worn on one side -will get it serviced ASAP and tracking checked - braking at speed requires great care to avoid wheels locking up and vehicle lurching badly to the left! Also accompanied by judder. Doesn't feel as safe as it should. Has anyone else experienced this - I have tried in vain to search the TOC site, but this proved futile and frustrating.

This is my first attempt to use this site properly and I'm beginning to think it's rather clunky and lacks functionality such as a decent search option. Am I alone with this thought. A look at the Pajero owners club site make me wonder what went wrong here????

You might consider that you are the first on this forum to have this problem. If that is the case then you will very likely find no answers using the search facility. Perhaps when you have solved the problem you would like to post the solution here so that others searching for an answer will find some help.

BTW Welcome to TOC.

FILE under BRAKES

[Thanks - I did eventually find some items relating to braking and juddering. They were kinda filed in obscure places and pehaps a more organized approach to enable topics to be categorized by members would help others find solutions and in a speedier more intuitive fashion....something like MS file manager but Mechanical, sub section gearbox, split into Manual and Auto, or Breaking, ABS - Conventional, problems, judders, wheel locking... I'm grabbing at straws as I am not technical, but it is rather a shambles. (I worked in eComm for a while so feel qualified to at least pass some comment)

I take you point though about me being new, just surprised that such a popular website has such poor funtionality, especially as it looks like it is sponsored by Mr.T.

I think the locking/juddering may because the car was idle for a considerable time and I intend to fit new wheels/tyres over the weekend and a good look at the calipers, disc condition and tracking should provide some useful information. Not sure how to adjust the severity/sensitivity of brakes, but I hope my mechanic does!

TYRES

BTW..I have found a fantastic company who are fitting 4 Goodyear Wrangler HP 215/70/16's for £65 each - less than half what the previous owner paid for theirs.

Will post progress :-)